BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Longest distance (Gas).
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 03:15 PM
Longest distance (Gas).

What's the longest distance between gas pumps that I'm likely to have to drive from TJ to Los Cabos?
Thanks.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 06:33 PM
About 200 miles is my estimate.

That would be from El Rosario to Villa Jesus Maria (north of Guerrero Negro). El Rosario is a must fill up location.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 11:48 PM
Jesus Maria

has disappointed me many times. G.Negro is for sure. Don't leave El Rosario without filling up.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 01:38 AM

Has the Pemex reopened in Villa Jesus Maria yet? When I was southbound last Sept. it was closed and there was no one selling gas from barrels (and no tamales either :(). Since I was just about on fumes, I had to use the gas from my spare can that I carry.

Northbound two weeks later I stopped at Villa Jesus Maria for tamales (look for the green van) and was told the new station would be open in a month. I was also able to buy gas from the man at the BOLA turnoff and at the Catavi?a Pemex on that trip.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 08:24 AM

There is usually gas out of a PU truck at Catavina. Cost about $3/gal. But don't plan your trip on it. Take at least a 5 gal can with you.
timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2003 at 08:35 AM

I've always taken a 5 gal spare, but during my last trip I was amazed and how many Pemex stations have sprung up in the last 10 years. North of GN, fuel is not much of an issue. Even in Catavina, we had no problems getting gas.

I'd still stop and top off whenever I can, though, and wouldn't chance going south of GN without getting fuel.
yakfish
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 04:17 AM
gas

At the LaPinta hotel in Catavina there is a pemix its not always open but I personaly have never seen it closed. I read somewhere that it closes sometimes but Im usually going through there in the morning/ noon hours and have been lucky. I too always gas up at El Rosario :cool:
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 10:39 AM
Jeans

The Pemex in Jesus Marie is now open.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 11:30 AM
Jeans

:no:Don't count on Jesus Maria. Don't count on getting a few gallons at Cantavina. Plan on going from El Rosario to Guerro Negro. If you can get gas at Jesus Maria, great. But its not always open and sometimes the electricity is off. Also, I don't like to buy gas from 50 gallon drums and avoid it whenever possible. Cantavina for me is just a place in the road that always seems farther away than I remembered.....going south. Buy a couple of five gallon cans of gas at El Rosario if you think you need it---after you top off your tank. Have a nice trip.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
BigAl

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be leaving British Columbia on the 2nd or 3rd of January if the weather co-operates. Right now it looks like my biggest challenge will be getting out of my driveway. We got three inches of snow, and it has turned to hard pack ice overnight.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 04:07 PM
Big Al.....

Better check with the Oregon St. Patrol before you leave Ashland, I heard on the news that the pass was closed for 36hrs. , It's open now, but I know here in Seattle they are saying we will get more snow tomorrow night....that can effect the Ore/Ca border pass too. Good luck, hand have FUN! Debra
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 04:44 PM
What is Snow

I live in So. Calif. so I am curious....what is snow? Why does it close roads. We get rain and mud, but not much snow. Is it the white stuff I see on top of Mt. Baldy. I live at the foot of Mt. Baldy and see people going up there with skiis and sleds and weird stuff. Have a good trip south.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 05:49 PM
Sharky

I think you better lay off that "air" that collects at the base of Mt.Baldy.
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 07:42 PM
Big Al

You'd better check road conditions before you leave. I'm just waiting here in Victoria to take off too (no sign of snow here, by the way) I just read in the Yreka Daily News, that the I-5 is closed until further notice, right there at Yreka, and they seem to be expecting more snow over the weekend. I'd rather wait here at home, for it to clear than hit the I-5 and have to travel 40kms an hour in a blizzard......this snow is all through Washington, Oregon, and Northern California...DRAT!!!! It even snowed in Las Vegas the other day...SHEESH!!! I'm keeping a close watch on the road conditions then I'm gonna make a run for it when it clears up...u2u me if you need any of this info, or if I can be of help.....Have a GOOD one...see ya there maybe......
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 09:52 PM

Good advice, frizkie, I'm across the strait from you and a bit north. We had 3 inches as well, BigAl, now mostly gone, but now we're at the mercy of those cold outflow winds which we haven't had for a couple of years or more. But we're still set to leave Sunday. May pause in Vancouver longer than we'd planned. Had the I-5 passes' surviellance cams on the screen this morning and could see quite well that the snow is very white at 4000 feet, and all the lower cams show that too. I've never driven this one (mh) in snow and don't want to. They say you need chains to be let through, what about meandering along down the coast on 101? Does anyone do that? It would be slow, I know there are lots of hills there too, but they are lower and "perhaps" free of snow. Should have made the trip two months ago.
yakfish
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 10:37 PM
Gas IN Catavina

There is a small Pemix station in the parking lot of La Pinta Hotel In Catavina It is not gas out of Barrells. There are two pumps Ive been through there 5 times each way in the last year . I top off my tank there, thats 10 times out of 10 they were open. Fill up in El Rosario for sure, top off in catavina, fill up at guerrero negro. you never know what might happen between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro or If you are going to Bay Of L.A. fill up in Catavina for sure because the only gas you are going to get after catavina is from Barrells either at the Turn off to Bay Of L.A. or from barrells in Bay Of L.A. Drive Safe :cool:
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2004 at 10:40 PM
Dave B

I hope you've got lot's of patience, and are in no hurry, whatsoever, to get to Baja cuz' the 101 will take you forever and ever. It is beautiful, without a doubt, of course it goes right along the coast and is windy and twisty like crazy. I did some of it coming North from Baja last March. It was so pretty, but drove me crazy with all the switchbacks and twisties. I just wanted to be riding my motorcycle. Then in September I did the Olympic Peninsula (101) on my motorcycle and it was sooooo KOOL!! But in my truck......and I just have a small truck.....Nope, I'll wait until the I-5 is clear, any day. I like to drive at night sometimes too, when I go down the I-5, and then just pull into rest areas to sleep. Think what it will be like when all that snow melts and gets slushy and wet, then freezes at night EGTHC!!!!! Not a pretty picture!! Be Careful, Be Safe. Hey!! We're going to Baja!! We gotta learn to slow down, it may as well be now...FELIZ ANO NUEVO!! See ya there, Dave, I'm in a Red Mazda P/U with a white pop top camper & porta-bote on top...(and a porta-potty inside Tee!! Hee!!)
Hope to see you there....Luego...Barbi aka Frizkie
BigAl

[*] posted on 1-2-2004 at 05:49 AM

Frizkie

It looks like we will be delayed for a while longer--the I5 points south of Portland got hit hard by snow last night, and it doesn't look good for the remainder of the week.:barf:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2004 at 08:42 AM
window throu the snow

were taking off out of eugene at about 11;00 am friday hoping to catch the window between the storms over the passess south should be in mexico by sunday with some luck jerry

jerry and judi
frizkie
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2004 at 09:56 AM
jerry

GOOD LUCK Jerry.....drive carefully....very carefully....are you taking snow chains???
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.