Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VOIP phones in Northern Baja
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 03:01 PM

Bajaeng,

I have used VOIP from Bahia de los Angeles. Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville have it set up on their computer. Mike thought there was a slight delay. When I used it, I never noticed a voice delay. Sound was clear and audible. Easy to dial. Although, they had not received a call at the house as of that time (shortly before Mike's demise).

Bedman
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 03:20 PM

I have used it in BCS many times and had no problem, except for sometimes a slight delay, or echo.
BUT it is always from/to PC. Never called a landline, or cellphone.
What does make a big difference is, if you or opponent is not using a DSL, then you miss half of conversation I noticed. There is a drifting in and out, that annoyes one greatly.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 03:28 PM
Opponents

Farasha Quote:

"What does make a big difference is, if you or opponent is not using a DSL, then you miss half of conversation I noticed."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the vast majority of us do not call our opponents and we aren't interested in hearing what those opponents have to say, this shouldn't be a problem.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 03:50 PM

:lol: ooops - that was an Freudian Slip, rather meant the opposite end of the line :biggrin: Makes me think - maybe I didn't really want to hear the other end anyway!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 04:32 PM

we are using vonage ($25 mo) over dircway sat internet

we have a (909) so california phone number and use the business service internet for $70 a month

you call so california and the phone rings in Mulege

calls from mexico are not as clear as call from the USA to mexico
probably because the SAT has to hold the call open

when susan calls i just call her back
the service changes fron day to day but is fine when you have no phone service

maybe i'll get a faster uplink for $99 later

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:01 PM

Since I do not need to have a phone to receive calls, I use Crystal Voice (which is currently unavailable to new subscribers) but I have friends who are using Skype. Of course there is a slight delay, you are sending an encrypted message to a satelite , the message is sent down to a home base, and then it goes out on a landline to your call recipient. That has to take a little while. Most of the people I call adjust to the delay rather quickly, which is really good since my phone calls from Mexico to the United States cost me 2.5 cents a minute. It isn't perfect, it is just Affordable:lol:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 06:39 PM

Use Skype all the time. Never noticed a time delay, but do get an echo now and then. Call Canada, Europe,the States,including Alaska frequently and only get an echo once in a while. Destination doesn't seem to make a difference.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2006 at 07:43 PM

I use Skype and Gizmo for calls to other computers and landlines in the US regularly. Very little delay and it's usually on a computer-to-computer call and it's caused by the other person's line speed. Rarely any delay calling land lines in US. I use Telnor Prodigy Aire with DSL. For about $37 a month it includes a telephone line.

I use Gizmo a they give me a free telephone number in the 775 area code. That saves the expense of paying Skype for one. You just call the 775 number and it rings on my computer, or you can leave a voice mail that will be forwarded to me via Emal as a .wav file so I can listen to it.

All these things for "almost free". Skype 2.1c a min to landlines in US, Gizmo 1c a min for these same calls. No charge computer to computer.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 02:47 PM

Larry, I heard that they were taken over by another company and until they get the billing or something straightened out, no new customers.

As far as delay, I should have made myself clearer. If you are using a satelite hookup for computer, there will be a delay with starband or Hughes. If you are using prodigy, which is land line based, there will be little or no delay.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 03:37 PM
Crystal Voice

Going to the Crystal Voice website, I noted that they are not accepting new subscribers, but are referring customers to Net Zero.

I came across this press release from 2005 regarding Crystal Voice licensing their technology to Net Zero's parent company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalVoice Announces United Online, Inc. as Licensee of Voice Over Internet Software; CrystalVoice's Patented Voice Over Internet Solution Adapts to Internet Environment

WOODLAND HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 10, 2005-- CrystalVoice Communications, Inc. (www.CrystalVoice.com), a leading provider of Voice over Internet software solutions, and United Online, Inc. (Nasdaq:UNTD), a leading provider of consumer Internet subscription services, today announced that CrystalVoice's enterpriseclass Internet protocol (IP) voice communications software is the core voice quality technology within the newly launched NetZero Voice, VoiceoverInternet Protocol (VoIP) Internet phone service.

The software enables United Online to deliver quality Internet phone calling over both dialup and broadband Internet connections, utilizing CrystalVoice's patented Acoustic QoS(TM) technology. The CrystalVoice technology continually monitors the voice flow over the Internet and is able to make realtime data and acoustic adjustments that compensate for lowbandwidth availability or variable Internet conditions. CrystalVoice allows NetZero Voice to deliver high quality calling with a fraction of the bandwidth that other solutions require.

"We searched extensively for the bestsuited technology for our VoIP strategy and found nothing that compared to CrystalVoice's Acoustic QoS solution," said Jerry Popek, Chief Technology Officer of United Online. "The solution is not only exceptionally tolerant of the variability of Internet bandwidth, but its scalability, highavailability, and security architecture were very strong."

NetZero Voice was launched last week. It works with virtually any ISP service, dialup or broadband, and gives the estimated 45 million U.S. dialup users the opportunity to make free calls using Internet phone calling, an option which has previously been available predominantly for broadband users. There are five valuepriced NetZero Voice calling plans ranging from free to $14.95 per month.

"We are thrilled to have selected CrystalVoice's superb technology for NetZero Voice," said Mark R. Goldston, chairman, CEO, and president of United Online. "Our technology teams have done a great job to incorporate such a highquality solution in consumerfriendly NetZero services that offer Internet users the opportunity to enjoy the price savings and feature content of Internet phone calling."

NetZero Voice marks the first time that CrystalVoice's technology has been used in a product sold directly to consumers on a large scale. Enterprises around the world have licensed CrystalVoice software to provide enhanced communications capabilities to support remote and mobile employees, contact centers, branchtobranch communication, international operations, and eCommerce. Marketed through a large and rapidly expanding global reseller network in addition to a U.S.based direct sales force, CrystalVoice products have earned a reputation for consistent quality, reliability, security, and scalability.

"We could not be happier about our association with United Online and the NetZero brand. They have consistently demonstrated their ability to deliver a quality service at a compelling price," said Steve Zola, president and CEO of CrystalVoice. "Millions of users will have the opportunity to benefit from the commitment to quality and value shared by both organizations."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.