Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: WIFI Connection FYI
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 11:37 AM
WIFI Connection FYI

Over the past few months, I have been researching and testing wifi cards, antennas and combinations to try to determine the best set-up for travelling in Baja and other places. I included use within buildings, city streets, rural rolling hills and treed flatlands.

Here is my 2 cents;

This is the best card you can get for the money today; $47.99 at Rokland.
SENAO Wireless 802.11b PCMCIA Card NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2 200mw

This cards comes with 2 external antenna slots so you can add the small stick ($6) for nearby or in-network use. The other port can be used either for a directional to a specific source or to a high-gain omni ($15-50).

We chose an 11db ($18) omni stick antenna as it seems that the directional cans and yagis are kinda picky if there are any partial obstructions nearby. The omni whip really helped even when parked under a few large trees, over 400 yards to the omni source.

I was replacing a Netgear 530 card and the difference is amazing ! Between two buildings, the signal went from "very low" with the old card to the highest setting with the new card and 1.5db stick alone !!

[Edited on 12-17-2006 by Diver]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 01:09 PM

Diver thanks for the research its the info I was needing, have not found the 11db antenna yet. I would like to be able to pickup hot spots without going into the business.

[Edited on 12-17-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 01:23 PM

Her is where I bought the 11 db antenna;

http://item.express.ebay.com/Cell-Phones-Wireless-Products_P...

Many of the magnatic antennas need to be in contact with metal (grounded) to be effective. The marine or trucker style antennas cost a bit more but an be mounted without ground in a number of ways. Remember that you are losing up to .5 db per foot of antenna cable.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 02:34 PM

Another alternative, if desired...

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=661

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 11:39 AM

Hey Diver I'm looking at ordering that card and antenna. What connection do I need for the antenna?
Thanks Mike
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Over the past few months, I have been researching and testing wifi cards, antennas and combinations to try to determine the best set-up for travelling in Baja and other places. I included use within buildings, city streets, rural rolling hills and treed flatlands.

Here is my 2 cents;

This is the best card you can get for the money today; $47.99 at Rokland.
SENAO Wireless 802.11b PCMCIA Card NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2 200mw

This cards comes with 2 external antenna slots so you can add the small stick ($6) for nearby or in-network use. The other port can be used either for a directional to a specific source or to a high-gain omni ($15-50).

We chose an 11db ($18) omni stick antenna as it seems that the directional cans and yagis are kinda picky if there are any partial obstructions nearby. The omni whip really helped even when parked under a few large trees, over 400 yards to the omni source.

I was replacing a Netgear 530 card and the difference is amazing ! Between two buildings, the signal went from "very low" with the old card to the highest setting with the new card and 1.5db stick alone !!

[Edited on 12-17-2006 by Diver]

For the sake of us who are not quite as knowledgeable, can you tell us how this card will allow you internet access?

What type of signals...and where...would this allow you to pick up? Paid? Unpaid?

I have a laptop with WIFI antenna built in. I would love to be able to get online while at mom's in Rosarito, but cannot afford the Starband satellite option for her home. I would be happy to pay for service on an "as needed" basis, and have no wish to covertly piggyback on someone else's paid service.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:32 PM

I just got back from Baja after using my wireless laptop around the penisula. I used this to good affect: Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz costs just a few bucks. Works great for me everywhere. Am using now next to this Starbucks Internet cafe.

My wife, that lucky soul, has a built-in wireless laptop that we just bought. A Gateway product. No problems with that as yet, either.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
I just got back from Baja after using my wireless laptop around the penisula. I used this to good affect: Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz costs just a few bucks. Works great for me everywhere. Am using now next to this Starbucks Internet cafe.

My wife, that lucky soul, has a built-in wireless laptop that we just bought. A Gateway product. No problems with that as yet, either.

I know that some signals can be picked up nearby when they are unsecured, but Starbucks has T-Mobile..which is only accessed by having a paid account. Are you saying that Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz gets you in?

The last thing I am unclear about : you said "My wife, that lucky soul, has a built-in wireless laptop."

Are your referring to your wife as "that lucky soul" because she has you as her husband, or that she owns a built-in wireless laptop? :lol::lol:
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 04:22 PM

Jeans....I plead insanity. I am just crazy about her.

p.s. I don't really know about Starbucks all being 'secured'. I just click on 'search for wireless connections' and viola ...this one came up. Maybe this one is unsecured? Also, a food court is nearby.

[Edited on 12-21-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:15 PM

Linksys does make good cards and when you have stronger signal, many cards will do. The Senao card I mentioned above has higher receiving sensitivity than almost any other card out there so if you are at the edge of your normal reception distance/conditions, a better card and exterior antenna will get you a signal from farther awy.

As far as access is concerned;
This is not a magic card.
In order to connect to WIFI you either need to find an unsecured signal like are offered in many hotels, restaurants and campgrounds these days or pay for access to a secured network.
For my needs, we use it around the house and between the house and garage and barn from our own network. We also pick up many unsecured signals in many places we travel. Last year in La Ventana, we bought a month for $25 but had to take the laptop out in the field to get a signal. Since it is almost impossible to see your screen in bright sunlight, this made eveings the only time to connect.
In a few other locations in Baja, RVs with sat dishes offered us service to check email etc. We can now get signal from the opposite side of any campground or beach within almost 1/2 mile.
In La Paz, there are many sources of free signal; Cabo also.

jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 02:30 PM

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-antennas/super-usb-wifi-...

Has anyone tried this? John K.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 04:20 PM

Or just build your own, here are plans for one, in the article they mention the longest signal received has been 125 miles but with a 12 foot dish.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biqua...

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 04:48 PM

Really depends on your situation;
If you need the extended range all the time or just when you travel and how much you want to spend.

In general, a 2.4/200mw card will get you connected to most signals (a standard card is 30-50mw and will also work well where you have good signal).
If you are trying to connect to a weak signal in a certain spot location, a yagi or cantana or dish style directional antenna is best. Omnis are good for getting more range from any location. If you are in a camper and don't know where your signal may come from, you may want to mount an omni "trucker style" to the hood or mirror.
The main thing if you may want to connect a booster antenna is to get a card that has an external antenna jack, the more mw, the better.

USB connectors are hard to find in 200mw with an external antenna jack. Theoretically, you would have less signal loss with a USB cable transmitting data than an antenna cable transferring signal to your pcmcia card. I've never seen the one you ask about in use but it does not appear to be a 200mw. In most areas this will not matter but if you are looking for the best reception in difficult situations, go with the more powerful cards.

aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:40 PM

Just read this thread. I bought a Senco card a month ago after researching an alternative to a bridge that everyone uses to connect to a neighbor. I am right next door and get the signal with our internal receiver in the laptop. We don't get it downstairs though, which is a pain when it rains, or cold. My sister in law just brought it down.......spent the last two days banging my head against the walls trying to get it to connect, finally e-mailed support and they told me to use the other antenna connection on the card. I got a signal, but it's worse than the internal reception on the computer! Now I'm sitting here pondering whether there is something wrong with the card, antenna, or something I did (more likely!) Sounds like if it is working properly it's a great improvement. Price we pay for living in the boonies.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:50 PM

Is this the same Senao pcmcia card I mention above ?

Have you tried improving the antennas at the source ? Or moving it ?
If you are trying to get signal through a wall, basement or roof, you may need more signal; wood, concrete and steel really get in the way.
I would think that if everything is working properly, placing an external antenna near a window should also help.
aliibike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:57 PM

Si, it's the same card. I'm on the roof and can see the transmitting antenna right now. Laptop chip is working fine, I think I got a bad card.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 06:25 PM

Diver

I have ordered the SENAO Wireless 802.11b PCMCIA Card NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2 200mw but they say the antenna connection is MMCX and I ordered a 9db antenna reverse SMA is that a problem? most that I have seen are of the SMA connection.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 07:15 PM

You can either order an antenna with an mmcx connection or get an adapter between mmcx and sma plugs. Probably sold at the same place you got the antenna.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 07:17 PM

Don't think its a big problem.

thanks

QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 12:08 PM

Keep in mind that when you do find a HOT SPOT that belongs to a business, and it happens to be open, you are stealing thier connection. And some of those businesses can and will track what you are doing. It is not hard, and later could be used against you.

So go to a place like TGI fridays in Tijuana, where the access is FREE for customers.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.