Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: real reel
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 09:20 PM
real reel

in thinking of getting a good 2 speed reel with a lever drag im hoping to use it for marlin big tuna yellowtail perhaps sea bass and grouper what reel would you buy if you only could get one 2 speed?? shimano?? pen?? ??

jerry and judi
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 09:28 PM

Great question jerry..I too, awaite the answers...:saint:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 09:29 PM

I have used the Shimano 2 speed reels on sails & blues. They have performed perfectly. Now all you need to decide is model & size...it'll be a fun time looking at what's available...
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 09:38 PM

im looking at a tegra 30 wide but might need to settle for something that dont cost like solid gold??

jerry and judi
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2006 at 09:55 PM

...maybe look at the TLD two speeds...great quality...less money...
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 07:10 AM

i have both TLDs and a pen and and im happey with both. the TLDs are a little tricky to take apart and clean as apossed to penn. the TLDs work well for grouper and yellows down deep.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 07:22 AM

Also Daiwa Sealines are similar price and have 2 speed models or 1 speed.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 07:26 AM

I have the TLD 30II, and I love it. It is light enough to fish with all day, unlike the Penn"s, and the Tiagra. Those are mainly trolling reels, as is anything over a TLD30. The TLD's are much more versital. I also have a TLD15, not a two speed, but still a very decent reel.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:24 AM

I fish really hard for 6 month of the year and really put the equipment to the test. In my opinion and experience, the TLD's will not stand up to constant and harsh usage. The Tiagra will as long as you do fairly regular maintence or have someone maintain the reel for you. The Penn KG grade reel will do ok but needs some TLC to keep it going, and the Penn Internationals do a great job if maintained properly. I have started using an Avet and it is one of the best available for the money. Two screw take apart, clean it by dunking in a bucket of fresh water and lubricating things once or twice a year. You gotta love American ingenuity that they can put out a reel that works this well for a lot less money than the competition.
You can check out their website or try www.charkbait.com for some good information.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:34 AM

I have three two speed reels, all Avets.

A Pro EX, with 60lb line.
An LX 4/6, usually 40lb line.
An MX 4/6, 30lb line, spectra backing

The LX and MX are really easy to take apart and put together. The EX is an older model; it's still available but a newer (and more expensive model) is being made as well.

These reels have a whole message category on Bloody Decks. You'll also find detailed, illustrated service instructions with commentary and reviews on Avet and other reels there:
Reel Tutorials
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I fish really hard for 6 month of the year and really put the equipment to the test. In my opinion and experience, the TLD's will not stand up to constant and harsh usage.

Not directed at you personally Pescador, but an Idiot can break anything. I use mine constantly, not just 6 months a year, and you must certainly mean 6 months a year when the wind doesn't have you ashore for days on end, and have never had a single problem. That is for a wide variety of fish too, not just yellowtail hooked 150ft deep over the sea mount on live bait.:lol::lol:

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:51 AM

Here is what one guy has to say about the Avets on the Hull Truth.

"I am glad the Avet has worked out well for you and others but the two I have are problematic. The EX 50W is an absolute POS and actually seized up on it's third trip, NOT from lack of maintenance, abuse, etc. "

I guess it is a matter of prefrence. If you gotta have all that gold plating anodize fu fu to make you feel like you can catch fish. Oh Well!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:03 PM

...maybe we should ask Summanus which two speed he used for those monsters he posted on another thread...???

I have a friend who had a new Avet sieze up on him; its replacement also siezed. They may have the problem fized by now...I don't know what model he had...
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:10 PM

I use the old winch off my boat trailer to haul up my really BIG pintos.....;)

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 02:25 PM

I'll go with the Penn's!:) 4/0's for regular stuff.:D:)6/0's for heavy lifting.:D Those big smoking billfish will take it all to another level.:D
Don Alley
Super Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 12-21-2006 at 03:36 PM
Avet Reels Pitch

You can find stories of siezed or otherwise failed reels from every manufacturer.

I've had good luck with almost all my reels, and I have a bunch, including 6 Avets. No trouble at all with my Avets.

Yellowtail at 150ft: Pulling these fish from structure is tough; I broke a fresh 60lb topshot putting the brakes on one Saturday. The force you need to keep them out of the rocks is greater than you'll need for dorado, striped marlin of sailfish and tough on reels.

As far as Penn 4/0 and 6/0, these are almost bulletproof, easy to service and parts are easy to find. But, once you've fished a two speed it's hard to go back. Great speed for retrieves, or great power in low gear. Better than the old Penns for using Spectra backing and jumping line classes: in other words, you can use a lighter, smaller reel. A 6/0 is a pretty big reel to fish all day (unless trolling) and a 4/0 does not have the drags for keeping yellowtail out of structure; yes for "heavy lifting" with the Senators you need the 6/0.

One more thing about the Avets. These are all lever drag reels. Instantly adjustable and powerful drags, yet unlike most other lever drags, they have great freespool out of the box for flylining live bait AND You Can Cast With Them!!! making them great jig reels.

Finally, Made in the USA!!!

Taken last Saturday, Danzante Island, with an Avet:

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 05:15 PM

Man it is a shame you had to fight those conditions to get out to the fish.:lol::lol::lol:

Nice shot. I really like the last Saturday thing. Can't touch that.:?:

Don, that sea mount comment was for Pescador. He knows what I am talking about, and yes they lay a wippin on ya. That is where the 2 speed really comes in handy. All in good fun. Tight lines fellas.

Pescador, is Ken Brookhouse down there right now? I need to talk to him.

[Edited on 22-12-2006 by Minnow]

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 06:15 PM

thank each and everyone of you for your responces i think ill go read up and then go feel each one before i decide
i did get a blue off of punta colorado in the 350# with a 4-0 pen 40# mono we chased it all over the soc for 3 and a half hours taged him and releasted him and some yellow fin tuna over 100# that i used a 4-0 on the first 3 when i yelled uncle the skipper handed me a 2 speed daiwa and said one more??
it was like heaven
so now if i get a 2 speed ill have to fish with it everytime

or the big ones will only bite the little reel??
it does seem like there a fan for allmost every brand

jerry and judi
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 08:44 PM

I have to agree with Don Jorge. A 30 Wide, Tiagra or International will handle all of your needs unless you are fishing from a stationary boat for huge tuna. The Tiagras fish great right out of the box but the Penn's can benefit from a little tweaking to improve freespool and increase drag. If your goal is the really big bruisers I would go with 100# spectra and a topshot. This will give you plenty of capacity. With proper maintenance these reels will last you a lifetime and they both have enough history to prove it. Is saving $100 for a lesser reel worth it in the long run? Could be! I don't know your personal circumstances. I have bought lots and lots of lesser reels in my life because it was what I could afford at that time in my life and they ALL caught fish. I have also experienced reel failures with trophy catches and at times I have fought my gear as much as the fish. I finally came to the conclusion and the financial means to afford what I feel is the best. I now have nearly a full set of Trinidads and if my Internationals would ever die I would replace them with Tiagras.
Bajachief

[*] posted on 12-21-2006 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
It has been said before: Shimano factory service is legendary. Send your reels or drop them off in Irvine and they make all new again for a couple of dimes. That alone is reason enough for me to only buy Shimanos.

Service Center? What Service center! I have no clue where the Penn reel service center is because I have never had to find it. Learn how to take apart your reels and change drags and you will never need a "service" center.

I have had a bunch of friends brag about how they took a broken reels to the Shimano center in Irvine and were handed new reels as replacements. That's great service except for when you were on your trip and the reel failed.

I have had the best luck with Penn and I consider buying an American made reel to be a priority.

Tight lines
Chief
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.