BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: changing money at mexicali border
jeffscott

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 10:30 AM
changing money at mexicali border

I'm heading into Baja Saturday around 7am at the Mexicali border, probably the eastern most entry. This is my first entrance into baja. I haven't as yet exchanged money and am finding out now that the rates here in Tucson are not very good. Does anyone know whether I will be able to find a place to change money at the border around 7am (on a Saturday) and without incurring a commission fee? I'm looking to change about $500. Also, will I need some pesos for my tourist visa when I cross? Thanks much!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 10:46 AM

The Mexicali East crossing hasn't much or any exchange houses... To get your FM-T your dollars are accepted.. In fact, you can use dollars for everything anywhere in Baja. The west/ original Mexicali border (on the U.S. side has plenty of money exchange places.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 11:05 AM
Calexico Cambio

IF you're coming into Calexico on Hwy 111, turn left at Cole Road and the next intersection (Southwest corner) has a cambil adjacent to the 7-11 which charges no commission and the rates are usually competitive with any I see in Baja. Last Wednesday, the rate was 10.75/11.00.

As David says, you can usually use Dollars anywhere, BUT when doing so "sometimes" it doesn't come out correctly and "usually" even the honest vendors will shade the exchange rate in their favor. At the moment, it is common for vendors to use a 10-1 rate for ease of conversion. Especially with Gasoline purchases, pesos are better. You can see what the amount is on the pump. Period. You don't have to depend on what the vendor comes up with on his calculator.

Reading your post again, I see that you're coming from Arizona so you probably will not go all the way to 111. David is correct that there are NO cambios AT the Eastern crossing unless the new service station / fast food complex just north of the crossing has one. I haven't been in there. There are numerous cambios as you travel south from the crossing and their adverised rates are usually in the ballpark, however, I don't know what, if any, commission there is.

[Edited on 12-22-2006 by MrBillM]
jeffscott

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 11:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the quick replies. This board is great!

Maybe I should take the western crossing. Would the wait time likely be longer at the western crossing on Sat morn?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 12:14 PM

use the ATM for the best rate. and they work 24-7

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 01:36 PM

Seems always less wait time at Mexicali East. Not much wait at the downtown one though. Maybe Christmas Eve is busier??? If I was coming from AZ, I might think of using the San Luis Rio Colorado crossing and taking Mex 2 on west. If you're going to San Felipe or somewhere around there, the new toll road part of Mex 2 drops you off about 2-3 miles south of Costco onto Mex 5 to head south. Plenty of cambio's in San Luis. But remember, even with no commission they have to make money changing peso/dollar, so sometimes ones with commission have a better rate of exchange. As Bruce says, ATMs give the best exchange depending how much your bank charges for the service.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.