Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 09:16 PM
pole pole?? rod rod??

ok so now im looking for a rod, to go with a 30 size reel any sugestions

jerry and judi
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 10:05 PM

Why don't you post this on fishing and hunting?

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 10:48 PM

well dave with all the???? i figured it was a question?? and i figured id get more answers here?? you found it??

jerry and judi
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:41 AM

What pound test line will you be using?

Longer rods, 7ft or more, cast better. But for heavy pulling on strong fish, they are hard on your back and shorter rods are much better. I like 7-8 foot rods for 30lb and under line, for heavier line I'd stay at 6 1/2 or les.

Glass vs. graphite composite: Glass rods are softer, with a slower action. They may be a little bit heavier than a graphite but like the shorter rods will be easier on your back. They are less expensive. But glass or graphite is a pretty personal thing and it's hard to recommend one over the other. Having said that, for line over 40lb I'd try a 6ft glass rod first.

Guides: Some heavier rods use roller guides. I have some but for under 80lb test I don't think you need them. The silicon carbide guides are great but expensive. If you get a rod with rollers be sure to take care of them so they don't stick; a sticky roller can fray your line.

Seems on the west coast Calstar and Seeker are the most popular brands. But a bunch of folks here use Penns and Ugly Sticks. They are all tough rods that stand up well to both fish and banging around on boats.

I wrap my own but no, I don't have any pink ones. :biggrin:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:53 AM
Panga Sticks

Jerry,
For fishing around Loreto, I would recommend a Kencor "Panga Stick" > They are designed for fishing off a lower to the water postion. (Panga fishing). They are short to work the fish that are down and under the boat. Less stress on the back is key here.
Look at a 707X (5'-6") model that handles 30-50lb test.
They also make a graphite series ($), but if the rods are sercure in the panga, they could be damaged.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:40 AM

Jerry, You have me a bit confused here. When we recommended the 30W reel to you that was based on your request for a BIG GAME reel. I assumed you were looking more for a 60-80# outfit. In that situation I prefer an all roller Calstar 6455XH (5 1/2') or the 6460XH (6') with a 14-16" foregrip. These are glass rods which I feel are more durable and take more abuse than graphite.

If you are now asking about a 30# setup I would suggest a Calstart 700l or 700M with a Trinidad or Torium 20 or 30.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:49 AM

" For fishing around Loreto, I would recommend a Kencor "Panga Stick" > They are designed for fishing off a lower to the water postion. (Panga fishing)."
Birdman---I use a couple of those Panga Sticks and I love them. I have over 60 rods but I always take one of my Panga Sticks out with me. I met the guy who developed them at the Fred Hall Show and told him how great they were. They seem to be extra tough to take the beating most pangas give on the ride out and back.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.