BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Permits to travel in Baja Sur
Stinson4118C

question.gif posted on 12-22-2006 at 11:20 PM
Permits to travel in Baja Sur

Hate to be the newbie asking questions, but I have searched and must be using the wrong terms. I was in Bahia de Los Angeles a couple of years ago with dive friends, and we just drove down in a rental and had no problems and as I remember it bought no permits or "visas" or whatever. This year I'm taking my wife and daughter to Bahia but then on to whale watch at Scammons Lagoon, which is slightly into Baja Sur. So what do I need to do differently and when do I do it?? In San Diego, or at the border or later?? Thanks!!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 07:40 AM

you need to stop at the t.j. border (right lane) and park. tell the inspectors you need a tourist card and they'll leave you alone:lol:. leave your wife in the car and take both of your passports/birth certs and go behind the row of offices fronting the inspection area and turn right. depending on the time of day you will be going against foot traffic. walk +/- 100 yards until you see on the left a new stucco building with DARK tinted window. you're there.

get tourist cards, proceed back towards your car and look for open bank in those offices fronting your car. pay $20 each and go back to the first office to get stamped. go back to your car, get in and have a great trip.

p.s. post a trip report when you return!!!

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:12 AM

The visa office has moved into the newly finished offices next to the parking area, at the north end, the bank is also there, a few spaces to the south. Not so long a walk anymore.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:15 AM

Anyone get theirs in Tecate? Seems it would be so much easier there.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:48 AM

I always get mine at Tecate. I avoid TJ as much as possible.
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
Anyone get theirs in Tecate?

Yes, got mine there last Tuesday on my way down to Los Cabos. Immigration office is immediately to the right as you cross over the border. Bank is right across the street. No line at all. Parking is a bit of a problem, had to park two blocks away and walk back to immigration.

Immigration officer was very helpful and cordial - full of holiday spirit. Gave us free helpful maps to the Baja penninsula.

By the way, there are some places where the police or ambulance service, in uniform, flag you down in some of the towns along Hwy 1 asking for donations. Give them a buck or two. It can't hurt and they are very grateful. Also, no problem with gasoline anywhere.

[Edited on 12-23-2006 by oxxo]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:58 AM

Tijuana immigration (INM) and the bank window for paying the fee is OPEN 24/7... Tecate is not.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Stinson4118C

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 01:51 PM

Hey thanks very much for the info. Sounds easy enough to do. I hate to stop anywhere in TJ but this sounds easy enough. Do children under 10 have to pay the fee too?? Or just us adults? Thanks again for :)the info. Really a neat and usefull forum.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 01:54 PM

Yes, they get you for the kids FMT's also.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:13 PM

well, in that case, then might FMT = For My Tot..?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.