BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: I have my FM3 but what do I do with it?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 06:09 PM

Note that if you have an FM-3 lucrativa in addition to the above mentioned carta roja you need a special document from immigration in order to leave and you cannot be gone more than 30 days.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificobob
how would i go about getting one?...what government agency would provide them? thanks in advance

An Apostille is merely the secretary of state certifying that the notary you used is really a licensed notary.

Typically what happens is you get the document notarized. Then you go to the county that the notary is in and get the county court clerk to certify that the notary is licensed with a letter of Exemplification, then you go to the dept of states office for that state to get that certified with a big fancy wax seal. when it's all done it looks very fancy and impressive, just what foreign govt officials love to look at.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 07:52 AM

You are supposed to get your FM3 stamped at your Point of Entry. For most of us it's when we are driving into Baja so our Point of Entry is generally San Ysidro. We come and go often and have never done a stamp at exit or upon re-entry but then we usually come and go on the same day. You also must "register" in your municipality of record (the immigration office that covers the area were you live or stay). For us, that's Ensenada. Then, you must renew it annually. The expiration date is in your FM3.
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 08:01 AM

If our fideicomiso is to be done at the close of our loan (approximately October), how long before that should we apply for the FM-3? Would we do it at the Mexican Consulate here in San Diego or in Rosarito, where our property is? Do you have property in Ensenada? If so, I have some questions I'm sure you could answer! Thanks so much!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 08:56 AM

I've had an FM3 for many years and never had it stamped. Just a suggestion though to save yourself some trouble...when you go to renew it make sure you start the procedure well in advance. When I was a novice I thought a week would be lots of time and it wasn't so now I start a month in advance...at least. suerte amigo

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 12-30-2006 at 09:45 AM

Be aware that different offices have different requirements for the info they want to process an FM3. We have heard stories from differerent people who got their FM3 out of country and had to do it over again in LaPaz:no:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:09 AM

Can someone explain what a FM-3 lucrativa is for and why you would want to limit yourself to 30 day in the states.
What would happen if your were gone 45 days?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Can someone explain what a FM-3 lucrativa is for and why you would want to limit yourself to 30 day in the states.
What would happen if your were gone 45 days?

It's to allow you to legally work and earn money in Mexico.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 09:39 AM

that's what i have FM-3 lucrativa
it ONLY lets me work on the project

we let Salvador
http://www.despachocontable.com/
assist us with the FM3 every time

we do it in santa rosalia
it has to be sent to la paz and that takes 2 weeks

in the past i would turn in the paperwork then go back to the USA
a letter and $20 at the bank was required for the intrium period until i returned and picked up the final product in santa rosalia

nothing has to be stamped ever and the "boys" in santa rosalia do EVERYTHING by the book

you really should do the first application in the town you are going to live in
NOT the USA
it's "politically correct"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 10:10 AM

Right the FM-3 Lucrativa is different from say an FM-3 administrador in that it lets you actually work out in the field and get your hands dirty.

An administrador can do only that, administrate the firm.

Inside it outlines the scope of your permitted work. Mine says tecnico en energia solar y installacions de sistemas de VSAT por connexion al INTERNET.

As to the 30 day rule it a condition of having the Lucrativa designation, If you are out more than 30 days, at the discretion of the jefe they can revoke, fine or do nothing.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
Inside it outlines the scope of your permitted work.

Mine doesn't. ;) Whatever restrictions I have are tied to the corporation charter and my letter of employment... Which allows any and all work necessary.

And what is all this talk about travel/time restrictions with an FM3? Lucrativa or not, You only have out-of-country restrictions with an FM2.

Migra should have a copy of the law. Ask them to show it to you. :lol:

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 11:24 AM

Dave I don't know and I don't care to argue with whoever is the head of the la paz Migra at any given moment. All I know is that when I want to leave I have to go to the migra and get an exit letter which is typed out on their letter head (different from the carta roja you get at the airport). In the letter it always says I have 30 days to return. On page 5 of your FM-3, the page with the picture what does it say under "actividad autorizada".

I have had a good and continuous relationship with them since 1994 and I really am loath to start getting picky with them

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
In the letter it always says I have 30 days to return. On page 5 of your FM-3, the page with the picture what does it say under "actividad autorizada".

First, I have an FM2. On page 4, I am authorized to work in the capacity of title granted by my corporation.

The KEY is that my corporation is structured so that it grants ALL manner of work, not just a supervisory or management role.

I have good attorneys. ;D

Question: Why don't you just not go to migra, not get the letter? How they gonna know?

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 02:30 PM

Dave when I drive in and out that is what I do but they are real sticklers at the ticket counter in the Cabo airport so I am forced to go back to the little office and deal with them or I don't get a boarding pass.

Trust me whenever I can get away with not dealing with any goverment officials on either side of the border I do.

pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
depending on the FM-3 that you have you are allowed to leave as often as you want (rentista) for as long as you want (not longer than a year) or for not more than 30 days (lucrativa). When you leave you are obligated to go to an immigration office at your point of departure and obtain what they call the carta roja or the F.M.E. for foreigners (translation on the back says "statistical document for foreigners"). it's a multi part form and you get a copy. It's stamped along with your FM-3 on the page marked "Registro de salidas". Upon your return you surrender the form and get the page marked "registro de entradas" stamped. You don't have to wait in line with the foreigners, you can go directly to the line for nationals

You cannot leave the Cabo airport without surrendering a copy of your tourist visa or showing this carta roja. if you drive out then of course you can easily exit without getting it stamped although if you fly back then you will be reprimanded by immigration for not getting an exit stamp.

If your FM-3 shows an exit stamp and upon your return to an airport you don't have a carta roja to surrender they get peey and write "no omito" something or other which I cannot read.

In Cabo to get your FM-3 stamped upon exit allow about an extra 10 min and go to the doors where arriving passengers come in. Off to the right you will see a small entranceway with a guard and metal detector, just say you need to talk to la migra and they will let you in.

I have done it all different ways with all sorts of excuses for not having an exit stamp, they were closed, the stamp was out of ink, etc etc. As long as you have a good story ready there has never been a problem or a fine.

I wish I new this before flying into cabo airport last week. Upon arrival into mx immigration asked for some form and held up a yellow copy...saying I needed that to get into the country with my FM3. I replied that I had no idea what he was talking about by shrugging my shoulders and communicated that this was my first time using my FM3. He seemed to understand and filled out the yellow form for me.

Upon leaving cabo airport as I entered the boarding pass area to board my flight a gentleman asked for my 'form'. I said I had no idea what he was talking about. With less than 10 minutes prior to flight departure he said I had to go to immigration office to get a form. I gave him this look like 'oh man i'm going to miss my flight then'...he then called someone on his walkie talkie and then let me through. So I guess next time I fly into cabo airport I will not have this form nor will I have an exit stamp. I'm guessing the yellow form the airport entry i.o. asked for was the yellow form they give you upon exit. hmmm...I might just complete that tourist visa each time to avoid this hassle...

Any suggestions on how to handle next time I fly into cabo without yellow form nor an exit stamp from previous trip? I did obtain an entry stamp which the san jose, california mx consul office said was required within 90 days of receiving my FM3.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:21 PM

Ya, don't flash your FM-3.

Use an FM-T (tourist card)

Works for me.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Ya, don't flash your FM-3.

Use an FM-T (tourist card)

Works for me.

Against the law - but if you don't get caught??

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 07:44 PM
The Sate Department

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificobob
how would i go about getting one?...what government agency would provide them? thanks in advance

You get apostilles from the State Department.
A little over a year ago they cost 5 U$D each.
Waynester

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 08:45 PM
FM3-Here's what you do with it.

I see my thread has come back to life, so I will post the answers to my original questions now that I feel that I've thoroughly researched the topic.

NOW THAT YOU HAVE YOUR FM3, HERE'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT:

ENTERING MX BY LAND: Get it stamped at the same office where we got the tourist cards in the past. San Ysidro is open 24 hours and there is no charge (you pay for it in your FM3 fee).

LEAVING MX BY LAND. You can get an official exit stamp at Guerrero Negro IF the office is open (They keep normal bankers hours there). If they are closed, you will have to get it stamped at the US/MX border. At San Ysidro, you can do it at the same office as you got your entrance stamp. There are several ways to do it.
1. Get back into the US of A and get on I-5, go to the first exit (which is the LAST US exit) and get on the Blvd and park as near to the US Border Crossing Station as you can get. Walk over the gates using the Pedestrian walkway and re-enter MX using the people gate. The immigration office is there and they will gladly issue you an EXIT stamp. Walk back over all the lanes using the Mexican pedestrian Bridge and re-enter the U.S. This process took us about 20 minutes, but we walk very fast. Next year, I will do #2.
2. While waiting in line to cross into the U.S, My wife will take both our FM3's, walk over the traffic lanes via the Mexican Pedestrian bridge to get to the Immigration Office, but at the end of the bridge there are high security gates to keep you from going to the Immigration Office. So....you must run out into I-5 (Mexican side) and go around the fence and then you can access the Immigration Office, where they should gladly issue us an EXIT stamp. This technique was told to me by the Mexican Official who stamped my FM3 when I used method #1.
Also, I will be in contact with the Mrs. using walkie-talkies.

ENTERING BY AIR: On the airplane they will offer you 2 forms, one is the FM-T (tourist Visa) and the other is a declaration form. You do not need an FM-T form. It used to be that you could use the MEXICAN NATIONAL line which almost always has nobody in it. But when I went a few months ago they had a big sign stating "No FM-2 or FM-3! Use Tourist Line!" So the line advantage is lost upon entering. However, the Immigration Official will gladly stamp your FM-3 AFTER you fill out a different lengthy form that was not available to you in advance.

LEAVING MX BY AIR: You will have to make your way back to the same Immigration lanes that you were in when you entered MX. I was able to check in by baggage and get my boarding pass before getting my FM-3 stamped out. I might have just been lucky, most people get the immigration paperwork done before getting in line for baggage check-in. I won't explain how you find your way back to the Immigration people, all you need to do is ask and most anybody that works there will tell you where you need to go. You should not have to wait in the long line because you will approach the booth from the backside and hopefully he'll take care of you right away.

RENEWING YOUR FM3: Give yourself about a month before it expires to safely renew it. They will be thrilled to see your entrance and exit stamps.

WHY GO THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE TO GET IT STAMPED when others say they've had an Fm3 for many years and never got it stamped? I am planning on applying for Dual Citizenship after 5 years with the FM3. They want to see that you've been taking the process seriously and that you've been getting your stamps. Also, since I'm not retired, they want to see that I've been back in the USA making lots of money so I can spend it all in Mexico. They also want to see bank and ATM receipts showing I've been making withdrawals from my US bank during the time I've been visiting.

I hope this will relieve some confusion and not create more. Buena Suerte to all, Wayne.
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 10:27 PM

Thank you, Waynester, for the synopsis on what to do with FM3's.

Now your job is the research and clarify the rest of Mexican's rules and regulations that we are all confused about...

--Amir
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.