BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ordering on the net - shipping to Baja?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 02:39 PM
Ordering on the net - shipping to Baja?

Greetings,

I want to order a new wireless Adapter card for my laptop from one of the internet retailers (and maybe other stuff as well).

Question: I do I get it delivered to Baja (BCS)?

I don't have a Baja address and anyway they probably wouldn't ship outside USA. Even if they do, I'd probably never receive it! And I don't know anyone who's driving down in the next week or two who could deliver it to me.

I'm pretty sure there's a service whereby you can have shipments sent to an address in the US - and they then "forward" via truck or air to their location in places like La Paz or Cabo. I would then pickup at the Baja location.

Anyone have any specific info on such a service? Or another idea for accomplishing the same thing?

TIA, Rob
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 02:41 PM
shipping

Check Estafeta.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 03:47 PM

Buy one in La Paz or Cabo, otherwise you have a good chance that it arrives in your BCS destination, while you've been long home.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 03:54 PM

Thanks, but it looks like Estafeta is for commercial enterprises - not individuals shipping single, small packages. The entire content of their web site is targeted to business.

What I'm looking for is more like Kinko's or Mailboxes, Etc. - where an individual (or business) can be a customer.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Buy one in La Paz or Cabo, otherwise you have a good chance that it arrives in your BCS destination, while you've been long home.

Sorry, that won't work - I'm 99.9% sure that the product I want is not available anywhere in Baja.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 04:34 PM

Where are you ?
We are coming down the second week of January if we can help with a possible delivery. What card are you looking for ?

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 04:48 PM

You could have it sent to someone at a USA address & then have that recipient DHL it to you in La Paz, that'd get it here in 2-3 days after leaving the USA. Conventional "snail mail" takes an average to 3-4 weeks into & out of this area. Two weeks is extraordinarily FAST, 3 weeks is pushing it & 3-4 weeks is typical. Also, there's the added anticipation of whether or not you'll ever receive a package sent via snail mail.:lol: There's a certain % of "lost" mail, especially during the holidays when gifts would typically be sent. I've had good luck with letters, but packages not sent via US Express Mail have a way of disappearing. Express Mail is tracked & signed for on this end...but it takes just as long to get here!! If you have the time to wait & want to send it to a La Paz P.O. Box, U2U me & you're welcome to have it sent to my P.O. box. Other than that, DHL would be the fastest & most reliable...but it'll cost you around $20 for a 1-2 page letter size package. Assuming you're south of the border now, is there a possibility that Office Depot or MicroSystemas in La Paz would have what you need?? That might be a lot easier in the long run!
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Where are you ?
We are coming down the second week of January if we can help with a possible delivery. What card are you looking for ?

La Ventana
Product --> http://rokland.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=265&am...
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
You could have it sent to someone at a USA address & then have that recipient DHL it to you in La Paz, that'd get it here in 2-3 days after leaving the USA. Conventional "snail mail" takes an average to 3-4 weeks into & out of this area. Two weeks is extraordinarily FAST, 3 weeks is pushing it & 3-4 weeks is typical. Also, there's the added anticipation of whether or not you'll ever receive a package sent via snail mail.:lol: There's a certain % of "lost" mail, especially during the holidays when gifts would typically be sent. I've had good luck with letters, but packages not sent via US Express Mail have a way of disappearing. Express Mail is tracked & signed for on this end...but it takes just as long to get here!! If you have the time to wait & want to send it to a La Paz P.O. Box, U2U me & you're welcome to have it sent to my P.O. box. Other than that, DHL would be the fastest & most reliable...but it'll cost you around $20 for a 1-2 page letter size package. Assuming you're south of the border now, is there a possibility that Office Depot or MicroSystemas in La Paz would have what you need?? That might be a lot easier in the long run!

Office Depot or MicroSystemas in La Paz? I seriously doubt it - this card is not exactly "mainstream". Appreciate your DHL suggestion tho - I'll check that out.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
Quote:
Where are you ?

La Ventana

I just got a Senao 200mx card from Rockland.
We will be in La Ventana by January 25, the latest if you want to wait that long.
Is the guy from CA still offering wifi in the big campground ? It was still hard to get last year so I got a better card and external antenna.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Where are you ?

La Ventana

I wonder if they give you the instructions on how to modify them to be legal in the US?

[Edited on 12-26-2006 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Kimpatsu_Hekigan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 07:43 PM
802.11b cards are becoming obsolete

unbob:

You're aware, of course, that this wireless PC card uses the old 802.11b standard that was originally released in 1999. Maximum data rate for this standard is 11 Mbit/s.

Almost all manufacturers have now switched their products to the newer 802.11g Wi-Fi standard (June, 2003) whose maximum data rate is 54 Mbit/s, which is almost five times faster, plus the maximum range of 802.11g devices is slightly greater than that of 802.11b devices.

Just sayin'...

-- K.H.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 08:36 PM

here IS the answer...

deliver it to a USA address...

have the receiver go to the post office and EXPRESS MAIL it to your local Post Office in Baja... General Delivery

you'll get it in 5-6 days.:light:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where are you ?

La Ventana

I just got a Senao 200mx card from Rockland.
We will be in La Ventana by January 25, the latest if you want to wait that long.
Is the guy from CA still offering wifi in the big campground ? It was still hard to get last year so I got a better card and external antenna.

Yup, Kevin's Wi-Fi is going strong and the DSL connection speed was just doubled to 2 Mbps. See Kevin at Puesta Del Sol (Pablo's) between 8-10am to sign-up. I have line-of-sight to Kevin's antenna so it works pretty well for me. I'm at the north end of CG, so I'd guess I'm roughly 200m from the AP antenna. With your new card and antenna, you'll have no problem.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2006 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimpatsu_Hekigan
unbob:

You're aware, of course, that this wireless PC card uses the old 802.11b standard that was originally released in 1999. Maximum data rate for this standard is 11 Mbit/s.

Almost all manufacturers have now switched their products to the newer 802.11g Wi-Fi standard (June, 2003) whose maximum data rate is 54 Mbit/s, which is almost five times faster, plus the maximum range of 802.11g devices is slightly greater than that of 802.11b devices.

Just sayin'...

-- K.H.

Good point. However, my concern is range - not speed. 11 Mbps is fine - but I need a solid long range connection. Say at least 400m (or more).
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2006 at 12:20 AM

BTW,

I ran a 30-50mx card then switced to he 200mx Senao.
Reception went from "very poor" to "fair" with the new card and little antenna and to "good" with the external antenna up to 20' then "fair" to 500 then "poor" to 700 then "very poor" to 800 then no signal.
This is using a standard, non-amplified Linksys router from inside the house.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.