Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Xmas triip with a dog to La Paz
dgi

Mood: Don't worry, be happy

shocked.gif posted on 1-3-2007 at 04:34 PM
Xmas triip with a dog to La Paz

After flying to Serinidad for Thanksgiving and seeing how green Baja was, we decided to drive down to La Paz during the holiday week with our one year Boxer pup "Willow" in tow. Well, checked on some hotels and they won't take dogs, so had to make do with the La Pintas. Left Dana Point on Sat Dec. 23 and drove to San Quintin. Got there at about 2pm and had lunch. The place was completely empty, but still had full staff and all liked the dog. That hotel was renovated a couple of years ago and is in good shape. We decded to keep driving to Catavina as it was still early.
Got to Catavina just around dusk and the hotel already had several cars outside. (Only place around, although there is a new small motel across the street. Don't know anything about it.) Rooms were avaliable but was told it was "CASH" only as their credit card machine didn't have any paper. (I wonder who's pocket all that money went into.) I paid the $80.00 and got a room. Husband was getting over a cold and stayed in the room with the dog while I went to eat. Again, cash was only accepted and the wait for dinner was over one hour. At least they have heaters in the rooms, but the dog woke me up in the middle of the night with the shakes from being so cold, I had to wrap her up in her dog blanket to get her warm enough to sleep. So glad we brought her big Costco fleece blanket so I could wrap her up. We also brought a small ceramic heater from home with us, but it was still so cold up on the mountain.
Next morning drove through the beautiful blooming desert to San Ignacio. Had lunch at Beans and Rice (or is it Rice and Beans? I always forget.) Saw a little girl working at the hotel cleaning with her mom and asked her to come to my car where I had a bag of beenie babies for Mulege kids. She took one and was so excited. I asked if she had more kids in her family and her mom said she had four, so I told her to take more dolls. She took them and went running down the street to home. Sure was nice to put a smile on her face. After a great lunch, we continued to Mulege. Drove through town to check it out and then went to the Serinidad Hotel to say hi and "walk the runway". Gave the bag of dolls to Alex who is the personable bartender at the hotel. He said he will give them to the kids.
We decided not to stay at the hotel as the winds were up and we needed warmer weather, so continued on down the road toward Loreto. Santispac is so sad to see everyone have to go. Lots of good memories a Rays Place. Still lots of wind even in the bay and coves.
Got into Loreto and it too was windy. Checked into the La Pinta. They just redid the pool area and it looks great. However, they have let the rooms go into disrepair. We got a room with a table on one bed, no hot water or lights in the room. Asked for another room but they were full. They were very helpful in getting us a lamp, put the table from on the bed to the patiio, brought us blankets and towells and told us to put the hot water on for about ten minutes for it to get hot. It never did get hot or even warm. Also, they only had three channels on their cable tv and all were in Spanish. Good food at that hotel as most of the restruants were closed for the next two days. We would put the dog in the car and drive over to the restaurant where we could see the car and leave her in it while we eat.
The weather was a little better the next day so we decided to stay for Christmas there. Took nice walks along the Malecon and drove over to check out Nopolo. We stayed for a couple of days over Thanksgiving at the Loreto Bay Hotel and saw all the new construction and wanted to see how it was going. I can't believe after all these years they are really building. And people are buying. Construction is still going at a fast pace. Some of the homes already have people in them.
From Nopolo it was onward to Puerto Escondido to check out the harbor and trailer park. The trailer park is rebuilt after the fire and really looks good. (And expensive) and the harbor now has a fuel dock and some buildings. Looks like they may finish the harbor sometime in my lifetime. I think Loreto Bay devolpment has a big part in it being built at this time.
Next day we drove on toward La Paz. Didn't know where we were going to stay with the dog but got into town before lunch and really lucked out at a hotel called Club El Moro on the far end of the malecon. It is a really neat hotel with regular rooms and suites up to two bedrooms. Prices were lower than the La Pintas also. They only had one room avaliable and we jumped at it. It was a junior suite with a seperate bedroom and a kitchenette for $112.00. We met a fellow whos name is Steve Martin who works with kids in rual schools in Baja and also a fellow on a motorcycle from Mulege staying there. Steve said he found this gem of a hotel several years ago and when he has a break comes to the hotel.
La Paz is definately a big city for us. The maecon was all lit up for Christmas and was beautiful to see at night. Also, the wind had finally died down and it was above 80 degrees. We drove out to the beaches and ferry the next day and it was really a beautiful day. We thought about takng the ferry to Topolambo and returning home on the mainland of Mex. but didn't know about bringing the dog. Also, we have never been past San Carlos on the mainland and had no maps or places to stay with the dog. So, maybe next time that could be an adventure for us to do.
We were lucky enough to be able to say at the hotel for another night and decided to get up early to start the drive home. (By this time, I had caught hubby's cold and wanted to get home) We drove from La Paz to Guerro Negro eating at a roadside house in the desert. Look for the trucks for the best food. On the way to G.N. it rained some. Got into G.N. and went again to the La Pinta. Got a room with no hot water at all. No water would come out of the faucets, so changed rooms. Hubby got locked in the bathroom while I took the dog for a run in the sand dunes. She was happy to be free after a ten hour car ride. Came back to the room and hubby had just managed to get himself out of the bathroom after about 45 minutes. Ordered tortilla soup for dinner and went to bed. Soon after, the power went out in our room, so had to go get the manager to check on it. Neded a new fuse for the electric in the room and he fixed it. Now the heater worked again but it was raining and was still really cold. Dog had to get wrapped up in her blanket again to sleep.
The next morning we were going to go to San Quintin or Ensenada but I was feeling pretty bad and wanted to go for home. Got started at 5:30 am. Got a full tank of gas at the Pemex and we were on the road with breakfast bars and V8 juice. Made it to Ensenada by 1pm and stopped for a Burger King whopper. Then on toward the border for the long wait. Arrived at 2:30 and it took one hour to get through the border. Finally got home at 5:00. Over a 11 hour drive but worth it to be home and in my own bed.
Now for the pros and cons. Pros- the desert was blooming and you don't get to see that every year. The mountains and desert are still green and sooo beautiful. Love the coves in Bahia Conception, but wish the wind would be gone. La Paz and Loreto at Christmas with all the lights on the malecon was magical. And La Paz was warm!!
Cons- La Pintas have become so run down. It used to be a above grade hotel for Baja, but no more. Also, having a dog along and not having a RV can be really limiting to what you can do or where you can go.
There was gas at all stations. The military is back. Roads were good and didn't see any bad wrecks or trucks turned over. Border wait was one hour mid day. Topas are smaller in Santo Thomas. (Kind of a bummer. As we used to like to sit by the restaurant and watch the Gringos drive too fast over them and bottom out.) All in all, I can't wait to get back to Baja and envy all you that live there in the winter.
Take care and drive carefully.
Donna
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for the report. I wish more would share with us.

Zac

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 05:39 PM

I agree, Zac
Great report.
One question...I assume that when you stayed at Loreto Bay, you did not have your dog.

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 06:04 PM
GREAT REPORT! ..sounds like a great, but slightly trying trip, Donna!

I am sure you will cherish those memories...both good and bad. Funny story about your husband being locked in that bathroom. It has happened to us, also. Once when I went to the bar and my wife got trapped and beat on the door until someone reported the noise. I caught some flak over that one...

We have been avoiding the La Pintas for many years now...never my choice even when they were new. Every time we stayed there, something bad occurred..so we quit stopping. Like you said...nothing works! If near Guerrero Negro again I recommend Mallarimo's for lodging and food.

Thanks for that good trip report. Hope you get to make another soon!

p.s. We love the El Moro suites, too. Great rooms and pool/bar.

- El Moro pool.jpg - 46kB

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 01:40 AM
Whirlwind

You guys make tracks! You did that trip in how many days??

I've heard it's an exceptionally cold winter in Baja. Catavina gets verrrrrrry cold sometimes. Too bad they have nothing but tile in the rooms. Very pet friendly tho. I stay there regularly. Is gas still unavail?

The Moro is great. We had a loft with ours and had a good stay. Nice staff and good local.

Did the whether bother you? Any bugs in Mulege or too cold? Thanks.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 09:09 AM

Judy,

Loreto Bay Inn is dog friendly, last I heard.
dgi

Mood: Don't worry, be happy

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 12:16 PM

Boy, If I knew it, we would have stayed at the Loreto Bay. At Thanksgiving the room cost was $119.00. La Pinta is $89.00. Loreto Bay is definately worth the extra thirty bucks. But out of town a ways. When in town, we always stop to eat at Cafe Ole and to watch people.
Thanksgiving we had bug bites. Not for Christmas as it must be too cold or the wind chases them away. And yes, it was a marathon drive home. I have a pretty bad cold and had to go see the doctor. Also got hives from it. Anyway, the cold season is everywhere. Our friends live in P.V. in the winter and they even have the colds going around. It is a nasty on this year.
Donna
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 12:34 PM
Nice report

Enjoyed reading about your trip. Can't wait to get on the road again.

Thanks
Diane

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.