Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ENSENADA COSTCO
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 10:34 AM
ENSENADA COSTCO

If anyone is going to the Ensenada COSTCO would appreciate info on stainless steel propane BBQ's in stock. Looking for manufacturer, model, size and price. Would rather buy one there than haul one down.
Thanks!!!!......:lol:
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 10:41 AM

They have all sorts of them in the Los Globos segundas. All types. I don't remember seeing them at Costco there.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. When I was at the Carson City COSTCO last night, I saw a killer BBQ..... Just wondering if the COSTCO in Ensenada is carrying them. Would save me some grief if I could buy it in Ensenada.

Here is the info for the BBQ in Carson City:
Mfg: Sureheat
Model: Tuscany
Size: 30 inch
Features: 4 burner, rotisserie, side burner
Price: $399.90

[Edited on 1-6-2007 by bajaguy]
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 12:31 PM

I'll look for you on Monday, Bajaguy. Just be sure that Stainless is what you want --it rusts like hell here.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:58 PM

It may have to live in the garage when not being used!!!!

Thanks, BB
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 06:45 PM

I went in the Ensenada Costco right after Christmas and in ours here in Modesto two days later.
Things not 'hecho en Mexico' were quite a bit higher down there. Even things that were packaged in Spanish, and seemed to be local but were the same here at home.
Also, they seem to have a 'split pricing' system.
Something about needing acard, or ???
I have a Costco AmEx card, just to use at Costco, and got the lower prices when I handed it across.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 06:50 PM

Cook on charcoal. Tastes better, thats just my humble opinion.

[Edited on 1-7-2007 by Phil C]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 07:14 PM

Phil - I agree with you, but sometimes the hassle is just not worth it, and in my advanced age, sometimes the speed of propane wins over waiting for charcoal....besides, you can always add flavored wood chips to the propane BBQ. and this model has an infared rotisserie, a searing plate and a side burner.

Runner - I noticed a really cool rocker/recliner in the Ensenada COSTCO but did not get the price (again, dang it). Saw the same thing at the Carson City COSTCO for about $329.....if I was thinking (lol) I would have bought the recliner when I was in Ensenada.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 11:43 PM

Yes, Costco in Mexico does have 2 prices; one if you pay with cash (efectivo), one if you pay with a credit card. The difference is infinitesimal so when making a big purchase we don't hesitate to pull out the card. And yes, the price will "appear" to be more expensive here but it includes the sales tax, something the US prices do not. And the IVA here is what, 10%?
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:50 AM
Bajaguy

Infared, sounds prety good, have you ever used it? Someone told me thats how they cook the steaks at Ruths Chris and those type of places.

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 10:05 AM

A friend of mine recently bought a stainless megagrill from Costco. It functions OK, but the guys in Shang Zhi province who manufactured it didn't quite get around to including all the needed parts in the box. When I checked the manufacturer's website, I was surprised to see how many FAQ's concerned this issue.

Get a Weber, schlepp it down here, will it to your grandkaids.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 10:34 AM

Phil - I belive this model has an infared searing plate for those great steaks.

Amigo - The nice thing about COSTCO is that if there is a problem you can return the product with no questions asked. I know that the grill on sale here in Carson City is manufactured in the US.

Gonna hang out at COSTCO and drool over the grill today.

lCheck out www.sureheat.com

[Edited on 1-7-2007 by bajaguy]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 10:06 PM
cost comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Yes, Costco in Mexico does have 2 prices; one if you pay with cash (efectivo), one if you pay with a credit card. The difference is infinitesimal so when making a big purchase we don't hesitate to pull out the card. And yes, the price will "appear" to be more expensive here but it includes the sales tax, something the US prices do not. And the IVA here is what, 10%?

Well, I bot a package of Sunsweet prunes for my mom, they were packed in a Spanish language package.
Cost about 85 pesos.
Here they are $6 (US)
Since we have no sales tax on food in California seems to me like quite a price spread on an identical product, even if it did appear to be "local" from the packaging.

Since we do a lot of Mexican cooking here at home the Costco, Gigante, Ley are all great places to load up on salsa, frijoles, etc, but will wait to get home to buy any hard goods.

Bought some Santo Tomas Tempranillo at Costco for about 95 pesos, but it was pretty mediocre... still looking for some good value/good quality in the Mexican wine dept.
Santo Tomas used to make a "San Emilion" that was really good, even their basic 'Vino Tinto' was drinkable.

No mas...
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 11:41 PM

I favor charcoal and use a venerable Weber, but I'm building a Baja microwave out of fire brick. Gas is not really an option -- I'm already using too much propane to run the fridge and water heater to waste it on the barbie.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Amigo - The nice thing about COSTCO is that if there is a problem you can return the product with no questions asked. I know that the grill on sale here in Carson City is manufactured in the US.

In the States that is true, not mexico. I tried to return a broken item and they told me they were out of stock and that they will have more in three weeks, come back then.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 08:25 AM
Traeger grill

I have been hearing a lot of praise lately about this type of grill...a Traeger. Do any of you use this..or know about it? Uses pellets and supposedly gives the food a great smoke flavor?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 10:08 AM

I have used a Traeger for years and it's the best BBQ out there as far as I'm concerned. It has no direct heat so there are no flare ups from chicken, ribs, etc. Heat is easy to control and the heat level governs the amout of smoke. I have smoked everything from salmon to turkey, and have cooked almost every type and cut of meat. You can put the meat on the grill and forget it if it is a roast, chickken, or something like that. Steaks, etc, you have to time and turn. All foods come off the grill juicier that any other BBQ, and with a great smoke flavor. It needs electricity to start the pellets and keep the blower operating during cooking. It is also necessary to use hardwood pellets for cooking. They provide the heat and smoke. Pellets come in every kind of hardwood you'd want. I'm considering replacing my old propane unit in Baja with one, but it would mean having to transport bags of pellets. I get 6/7 meals out of a 20# bag. They cost about the same as a nice unit at Home Depot or Costco...once you have tasted food from one, you'll be hooked...
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 10:50 AM

My uncle was telling me about the pellet grills over the holidays. He said they are amazing to use and you get great flavor. Traeger even has grills shaped like a pig and a cow.....but they are expensive!

http://traegergrills.com/grills/index.aspx

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 10:55 AM

Yes, BajaGeoff...I noticed the price tags, too. A mite spendy, but then...we eat 3 times a day!..at least!! This might pay for itself in a hurry.

And...you don't have to stand there and watch things so much. Gives you more time for daydreaming about large fish on light tackle while enjoying a cold Pacifico.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 12:47 PM

...just as a footnote, I just gave my daughter and her husband a Traeger for Christmas. It was the Lil Tex unit (model 070), that LISTS for $699. I think I paid right at $500 for the unit, then added a cover, pellets, spices, a thermometer for the unit's interior temp, and the starter kit...it all added up to around $575 from my local dealer...for the quality of the unit and the great food it produces, I think this is an OK price...and, I think it compares well with nice propane units...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.