Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recent La Paz Food Experiences
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-4-2004 at 09:05 AM
Recent La Paz Food Experiences

During our stay we were able to get around La Paz quite a bit and try places. Far from being experts, I thought to offer our attempts at local cuisine (sorted by most liked on top):

Restaurants

La Fonda Located 3 blocks off the Malecon, at the intersection of Bravo and Madero has tablecloths and excellent service. The quality control is obvious. Jorge, the owner, talks with the customers and provides a selection of about 7 or 8 home cooked meals to choose from the "comida corrida" or "fast food" menu every day. The meals are served up with soup, entree with rice/beans, and glass of Jamaica tea with Jell-O for dessert. You can eat inside or on the patio. There is a regular menu as well.

Le Bistrot Francais Located one block off the malecon on Mutualismo, about a half a block away from 16 de Septiembre. This nice French restaurant is in an old house with a pleasant courtyard framing the eating area. I highly recommend the pork steak in mustard sauce. Great service.

El Zarape Great Mexican food located at Calle Mexico between Oaxaca and Nayarit. Breakfast buffets and early dinner buffets are special. Locals eat there.

La Pazta Only for Italian food lovers. Recommend the shrimp lasagna but all dishes seem good. Ignacio Allende 1/2 block from Malecon around the corner from Hotel Los Arcos. Good wine selection or bring your own.

Caf? Callejon Indoor and outdoor eating with good, simple Mexican food, tasty coffee stand and cheapest hi-speed Internet at 9 pesos per hour (80 cents at current exchange). Around the corner from Hotel Perla on Callejon (alley) La Paz.

Adriana A charming restaurant on the waterside of the malecon at Calle Victoria with prices a little more reasonable than the Kiwi.

La Mar y Pena The restaurant is air-conditioned, has Mexican-motif table coverings, and the menu includes such items as: Albondigas de Cameron, seafood machaca, and shrimp-stuffed avocado. The camarones diablo is a winner. 16 de Septiembre near Isabel La Catolica

La Costa A little off the beaten path, Navarro and the beach, a couple blocks past Marina La Paz. This restaurant has good seafood and good service. Family run. Pool tables and two bars.

El Nuevo Pekin The best option among the Asian restaurants in town on the malecon.

Road stands

Super Tacos de Baja California - Hermanos (Hnos.) Gonzalez ? Excellent fish, crab and shrimp tacos and plenty of "fixings" to liven up your meal even more. Located on Mutualismo a block off the malec?n, just west of the Hotel Perla. Also, other Hnos. Gonzalez stands located around town near the public markets.

Birria Jalisco ? Across the street from ?Super Tacos? on Mutualismo. Dynamite goat stew and tacos.

Not Impressed with?

Kiwi?s, Caf? Choya, Restaurant Drag?n, Tequila's Bar & Grill and Bismarksito

:fire:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2004 at 01:09 PM
I agree with you on almost every detail except the Bismarcsito.

Are you sure you didn't hit them on one bad day? I was there this summer and was a little suspicious when I saw the new restaurant tucked in behind the roadside stand that's always been there. But I found the same couple running it that's been there for umpteen years and the same quality of taco fillings, soups and stews in the steel warming trays under the little canopy. That's where the delights are held. I love that place.

Although the food and service are not the greatest at the Kiwi (OK, they're total crap), it's still a good place to go sip a limonada, or whatever your preference, while you listen to some live music or volleyball and let the kids play in the sand. That place will always have one thing going for it - Location, Location, Location.

I'm glad you included La Costa. I haven't been there in a while, but used to know the family when they had a restaurant out at Tecolote some years back. They've always run a clean and reliable operation and being tucked away down by the docks, I don't think they get half the press they should.

I also recommended Le Bistrot Frances. I have always gone there and ordered precisely the pork chops in mustard gravy sauce. Totally addictive. I went once this summer and the pork was tough and the gravy was so salty I couldn't finish the dish. But with your recommendation, I'll take it as one bad day for the cook and go back and try that delicious plate again next time I'm in La Paz. What I was impressed with that they've added to the menu are some very tasty and affordable lunch sandwiches.

And, last but not least, aint La Fonda just a wonderful place? He was talking about the possibility of closing up shop this summer for not getting enough business. Evidently, he doesn't get enough business from the locals to keep profits up when the tourist season is down. If he does fold, there will be a hole in my heart for him, the skinny waitress that's worked there for years, and those little old ladies in that tiny hot kitchen that make the best authentic Mexican food I've ever had. So, everybody, tell somebody to check the place out and we'll try to keep them in business forever. By the way, if it's on the menu, try the beef ribs with watercress (costillas con verdolagas). Yumm. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
The Gull
Super Nomad

mad.gif posted on 1-4-2004 at 08:18 PM
Bismarkcito

We tried their fish tacos from the stand and the fish was small and the tortillas were not soft or even properly heated. Hnos. Gonzalez were far superior and cheaper.

Truthfully, neither place had a fish taco that can measure up to the ones we can get anywhere in Rosarito Beach.

:P:P:P:P

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
The Gull
Super Nomad

sad.gif posted on 1-5-2004 at 05:53 PM
Kiwi

Just found it overpriced and too gringo. Nice place, good view.

Adriana was just as nice for breakfast at a lower price, same view and the food and service was just as good.

The Cafe Callejon had our interest for breakfasts and quick coffee. Low cost and the cheapest internet in town. Some of the best people watching in the city. Good dogs and weird customers.

expat2B
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 12:24 PM

Thank you very much for the reviews, Gull. Printing this thread out and taking it with us to LP later in the month. Dined at Bismark Cito once, and although we didn't try the tacos you commented on, did have a very tasty pescado al mojo de ajo entree. Agree with you wholeheartedly re La Fonda - salivating just thinking about it. We also plan to try Bismark II at esq. Altamirano y Degollado and will report back on the experience.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 01:47 PM
No comment on breakfast at Perla?

Either way?

I have always felt that the two meals I have eaten at Bismark II were both the most OVERPRICED meals I have ever had on the peninsula. I stopped going for good about 5-7 years ago.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 01:48 PM

When Bismark Cito is mentioned we are talking about the stand across from the malecon, are we not? Newer restaurant behind it with the same name is not so great. We ate there once last year and were disappointed with the food, service and noise. (not music or laughter, noise!)
We love the stand, but will also try Hermanos (?) this year, since so many seem to like it. Agree on the excess prices at Kiwi, with a great view but, not great ambience. Is the Adriana cafe the one that was completely(almost) redone a year or two ago? Annie T.:?:;D

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Annie T.]

Live, love and be happy.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 02:13 PM

Sorry, Gull, forgot to thank you for a good list with directions. It really helps to be able to find the restaurants that get good reviews. Especially, when you don't know if you can walk it or need a taxi. How about some more comments on Bismark II. Is it really good or just overpriced. FYI we thought Adriana (if it's the one we think)was a pretty good, friendly, and relaxing place to eat. :bounce:

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Annie T.]

Live, love and be happy.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 04:24 PM
la paz restaurants

Just yesterday at noon found a sub&salad hole in the wall very good and reasonable On the 5th of february 3-4 block up from abasolo on right.
comitan

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
yates

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 10:35 AM
great info!

What a great list of restaurant reviews! I'm headed to La Paz in March and can't wait to try some of them out.

I was in La Paz in 2001 and had the most amazing tacos at a stand near the plaza (maybe on Constitucion or Hidalgo?). I can't remember the name, though. Sure hope he's still in business!

Thanks for the info!

Cindy
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2005 at 09:25 PM
The Best restaurants

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the "Gorillas Grill" on Revolucion near M. De Leon. Great food and very good prices.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.