Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iflyfish at Blow Hole B & B in Asuncion
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 10:57 AM
Iflyfish at Blow Hole B & B in Asuncion

Asuncion is located at the end of an aprox fifty mile road directly off the Hwy 1 at Vizcaino. One travels on a fairly good macadam road for about twenty five miles, then comes a very rought washboard road. One should allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours for this drive. The drive is lovely and by driving very slowly one can take in the beauty of the Vizcaino Bio Reserve. There is an amazing series of salt lakes that one passes by on the road. It is well worth the drive and if one takes it very slowly it is very doable. We managed very well in our 24' motor home. Just be prepared to drive SLOWLY.

Asuncion sits on a lovely bay surrounded by the Vizcaino Desert.

The town of Asuncion is unique in that it has very good electric power and very good city water as well as good streets in town. There is an internet cafe with good telephone connection. The owner speaks very good English.

There are people in this town that maintain residences here and on the east coast of the Baja. When the weather is too hot on the east coast or they want to avoid the Dengue they come to the more mild climate of Asucnion. In the what to them are colder months, I'm from Oregon and it is lovely here now in the winter, they go to the east coast. Nice life!

The fisherman/lobster catchers/ Abalone grabbers have formed two cooperatives that process their entire catch of these creatures. Many of the people here are related to each other and everyone knows eachother. This makes for a very safe and secure enviornment. That is not to say that theft could not occur, it is just much less likely in a place where every one knows each other. It is a very clean small town with incredibly friendly people.

The bay of Asuncion is well patroled to prevent poaching of the main souce of income for this village. There is a high level of cooperation amoung the town people.

We have been here for over a week now and are very much enjoying oiur stay. Juan and Shari are the most accomodating hosts we have ever stayed with. We are parked at their new beach house that sits about 1/2 block from the beach. We go to sleep with the sound of the surf and sea birds. We walk to the beach to catch fresh halibut and calico bass off the shore. The house is a modern stone faced suburban style two bedroom bungalo with full kitchen, living room, dining room and bath with shower. It is situated on a lot with ocean view and surrounded by trees which provide ample shade during the days. It is a lovely place to watch the sunset and is a short walk to town and the internet cafe. A great restraunt, on the beach, is located about two blocks from the front door. Their Camerones Majo de Ajo are amazing. The house rents for $75.00 US plus a small cleaning depostit and is a bargain at that.

Everything must be trucked into Ascuncion so it can be very expensive here. Our shrimp dinner was $12 US. However, it was extrordinary with fresh flour tortillas and of couse a couple of Pacificos and Modelo Negros. Fishing lures here can run to $26.00 so it is well advised to bring your own. Of course cooking ones own food with the wonderful sea food available here makes life good on a budget.

Speaking of the services provided by Juan and Shari, they also have a remote, clean, rustic cabin on the beach that sleeps seven. It is powered by a 12 volt solar/battery system the operates the lights. It has a fully equiped kitchen with stove, cooler and kitchen supplies. This house will not accomodate the use of hair dryers, 110 volt appliances etc. The beach is yours save for the occasional lobser fishernan unloading their boat. Bring your swim suit, sunscrean, shore rod and you are ready to go. Sit on the shaded porch and watch the sunset. This cabin rents for $35.00 plus a cleaning deposit.

Diane and I went panga fishing with Juan and it was a blast. Diane caught her first yellow tale, callico bass and sheaps head. She of course outfished all of us. We had a seafood feast, which Shari and Juan both cooked. Their food is excellent! Juan also obtained some wonderful, fresh lobster which were cooked on the spot.
Juan charges $75.00 US for a half day trip and $100.00 US for a full day.

Snorkling, diving and nature cruises are also available.

Life is good in the slow lane and we will no doubt return over and over to this place. Asuncion will soon be discovered as the road is inevitably improved. They are paving the road as we speak. There are still a few very good lots left in this town that Shari showed us that are available for an amazingly low price.

Next, more Whales and Sea Birds around Guerro Negro. Also some more great food at Cazuelas in Guerro Negro.

Iflyfish
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 11:18 AM

:( I ENVY you 2, what a blast your trip!! Keep on posting - at least some distraction from my withdrawal syndrom!!:cool::coolup::biggrin:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 04:26 PM
Nice report

drool...

Quote:

Iflyfish at Blow Hole B & B in Asuncion

Did you? Will you? Can you, flyfish.

BTW, do you know what the coop charges for abalone and lobs to the public? Thanks.

[Edited on 1-13-2007 by Sharksbaja]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 04:37 PM

Sounds GREAT----thanks, we hope to make it down there. Have a great time.

Diane

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 05:31 PM

Shari and Juan are the most gracious hosts ever. They do go out of there way to make your stay enjoyable. Glad that you are having such a wonderful time down there Iflyfish. It is truly one of our favorite town's in Baja. Say hi to Shari, Juan and their zoo from us!!!!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-13-2007 at 07:05 PM

muchas gracias for the nice comments. To answer your question about coop prices...lobster when in season is about 100 pesos each for a nice big one. Abalone is very rare as the season is short and can only be bought canned for between 150 and 200 pesos and it is 2nd rate quality, all the first rate abs are canned and exported.
Today Sirena took msflyfish to the pronghorn antelope reserve where they had a great day photographing these beauties. the good news is that the road is graded!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 09:36 AM

Nine weeks and counting. Now I really can't wait. Save from fishing for me!

Jon
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2007 at 11:08 AM

Shari (or anyone in the know), how long is a can of abalone good for? I have one from Abreojos (gold, unmarked can) that was given to me as a gift from the presidente of the ejido when I met him in Ensenada? I have been saving it for a special occaision.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 04:08 PM

Just returned from a fishing trip with Juan. I don't know how big the Yellow Tale is but it about doubles anything I have ever landed. Spooled me out. Good thing Juan knows his stuff. It looks like it is fourty pounds plus. SHUSI here we come.

Life is good in the slow lane. Photos to follow.

Iflyfish

P.S. Anyone who says the good old days are gone just missed today!
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-15-2007 at 04:27 PM

A friend of mine in BOLA, a very good guide and fisherman, has taken us fishing in his panga a few times (joel_prieto@hotmail.com). On the way back, he'll always make us what I call "modified ceviche" by squeezing a few limes into a ziplock bag, adding some soy sauce and the forktail fillets. It's always gone before we reach the shore! Yummmmmm!:yes:

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 06:47 AM

Oh yeah, Juan's got that dialed in all right...we always bring along the fixins for a full on ceviche cause ya never know when a langosta will leap into your panga! I guess Iflyfish will have to add some lures to his flyfishing hat. Not sure how the monster rapala will look. I've never seen a happier man and goddess knows he deserves to be.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 08:36 AM

40# yella on the flyrod??!! or is it, "Iflyfishwhen I'm not fishin the jig for yella":lol::lol:

A 40# pacside yella will pull your arms off!! Good job Iflyfish! Did he have any moss on his back??

Tip for the day: eat the front half below the lateral line raw:yes: YUUUUUUUMMMeeeee!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 05:26 PM

Thomas, we are taking your advice as we speak. Wasabi and soy, now a Korean sauce for yellow tail sashimi.

Caught it on a Large Tiger striped, Chartreus/black lure with orange belly. That lure works great for salmon, steelhead and now yellow tail.

Iflyfishwheninthevacinityoftrout.

I have not been to Baja for many years and wanted to tune in on the trolling, yo-yoing that most folks do here and space limited so went with trolling, casting gear. Next time!!!!!!

Caught the yellow on a medium weight trolling rod and 40lb test. It nearly spooled me and Juan backed up on it and we scored!!!

So sweat!!! Got Baja!

Great to meat other Nomads here.

Life is good in the slow lane.

Iflyfishwhenotcatchingmonsteryellowtailwithjuan
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 05:34 PM

Green Minnow. Please stop. I have to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 1-16-2007 at 06:53 PM

Well that was yummey...sushi mmmmm hehe
still waiting for visitors the more the merrier hehehe wow, I guess we have to build a bigger house if we are having this much company :lol::biggrin:. I'm in heaven!!!!!!:saint:

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
... Diane caught her first yellow tale ...

I bet that fish had a story to tell. ;)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.