Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jimmy Smith, a great historian
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 09:04 AM
Jimmy Smith, a great historian

I met Jimmy just after the 1991 total eclipse of the Sun at Los Barriles. We sat for five hours after the event, in the Palmas Bar, going over everything Baja. I was particularly impressed by the way Jimmy paid attention to people in history, rather than events or things.

By understanding the people first, your understanding of the real happenings was clarified, he taught. Since then, we shared theories, gossip and laughs.

Over the last few years, I spent days sitting on the front porch, sipping Tecate Beer, going over the yarns of tales of real and imagined Baja lore. My favorite times with Jimmy were spent driving to remote East Cape locales, running into hundreds of people who knew and loved and respected Jimmy Smith.

Luckily, during my visit in November, he gave me several finished and unfinished manuscripts to continue. My favorite so far, is the work titled, "The Baja Rose", which is based on a Baja family and their daughters rise to off road fame and fortune.

During the days I spent with Jimmy, we always laughed. He often would get my Baja insider jokes, that no one else would get. Thanks Jimmy.

Mike Overcast
The Best Of Baja
http://www.baja-cabo.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 12:54 AM

Thank you Mike.

What is the story about you having some of Jimmy's unfinished stories? Will you publish them or at least share them here?

Does Chuck Potter have any others, I wonder? Maybe if all of Jimmy's unfinished pieces were in one book, there might be a market for them?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 06:57 AM
Jimmy wanted them in the public domain

Yes, I've been researching aspects of some of the stories to complete them. Jimmy wanted them distributed for all to enjoy. Baja was lucky to be graced by such a gentle and insightful soul.

I do not know if Mr. Potter has any material. I've tried to contact Chuck, with no luck. I would be grateful if you would assist in making Jimmys material public. Thanks for your interest.

Mike
Fly Baja

Mood: Lead, Follow, O

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 07:49 PM
Jimmy's stories

Just a thought, and I don't know what the financial status of Jimmy's family is, but this is my thought. If Jimmy left unpublished stories it would seem they belong to his estate, and thus his family. His family should be the ones to decide what to do with them. If they can be published to the family's financial betterment, it would seem that is what should be done. Maybe that's what you who have mentioned them have in mind. I hope so. Otherwise, I encourage any interested parties to consider the honorable way to make the unpublished stories public.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 08:41 AM
Right on! , Cal... thx

for pointing that out.

BTW - please stop by at www.baja.net again and post your baja profile in the aviation section of their boards, I'm "collecting" baja pilotos there.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 08:48 AM
Stories

If his desire was to distribute his stories, the best way would be to put them on the Internet, rather than in book form.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 09:03 AM
Last I heard

was that Steve and his true friends were working on doing something with them at his request. This will keep the money and fame seekers at bay I am sure.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 08:17 PM
Thanks

Thanks to those who wish to help to make them public. One or two seem Hollywood material, will screen them to several pros I know.

Mike
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 12:04 PM

DK and Mike O. Are gonna team up?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 01:54 PM
huh??!!

blows my mind......hope the family gets their share 1st....doubt it once the "pros" get their greedy mits on the stuff. of course, hollywood can just make up fiction anyway and/or change the facts on their whim, who's gonna sue...Dona Lupe?..yeah, right...

vultures, like Bernie says elsewhere.:fire:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 06:13 PM
Hopefully,

between Eli n Steve, the material will end up just benefitting those that deserve it. If I were to find out that anything besides that happened to them, my rantings before were childsplay and whoever is the thief probably wouldn't want to show up in Baja! :fire: And I am serious !

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 06:18 PM
Ski Baja

Me thinks that you would have a whole army standing along side of you if it is needed.
Indeed it might be a reasonable course of action for the person in possession to return the material to the family and walk away a happy man and forget Hollywood!!!

[Edited on 1-13-2004 by Baja Bernie]
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 08:55 PM
I hope you're not saying

what I think you are saying! And if you are, I would not want to be that person.
I was fortunate enough to have heard his wishes regarding his material. And they didn't include anyone besides Steve and Eli.
What happened ?

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 09:25 PM
First post on this topic

OK, I just re read the first topic by Mike O.
This is not what I believe to be true. I talked to Jimmy not to long before he rid himself of this bullchit and I had no indication whatsoever that these were his wishes and seriously doubt it.
He did express his wishes regarding his unfinished works and exactly who would be dealing with them. There was no Mike mentioned.
We also discussed the fact that they were tired of people coming down to weasle information out of them without giving anything in return. Perhaps they were talking about me but I wasn't really asking any questions. Pretty much the opposite in fact.
I don't claim to be a close friend of Jimmy's and I have only met him in person a few times. Always enjoyable even with his comments about "my asinine statements" on the internet. hahahahaha. I really don't know what he was getting at !:saint:
What I do know is that Steve, Do?a Lupe, Char and Eli know his wishes. I am leaving for down there Saturday with some stops in between. If I haven't heard some good news regarding this "situation" before I leave, I will find out what is going on.
And if I find out that some gringo is trying to capitalize on Jimmy's work without his permission, whoever that is will not make it past El Rosario. And that is a promise!

Mike
Banned

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:41 PM
Tell Steve I said hello.

Let the record show your sad comments.

Mike
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 06:33 PM
Count on it !

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.