Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tourist Cards
timperkins
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 1-5-2004 at 05:47 PM
Tourist Cards

If we have visas, do we need to stop and get Tourist cards for a 6 day trip to San Felipe -> Gonzaga this Spring?

On our last trip down to Scammons, we didn't need them until we crossed the state line (and even then they never checked to see that we actually paid - we did). I don't mind getting the cards, but having to stop again at a bank to pay for them is a total hassle I'd like to avoid.

I'm looking for a practical answer, as I can guess that the official answer is "yes, they are required"... Has anyone ever been stopped and asked to show proof of payment?

Gracias,

Tim

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by timperkins]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 05:51 PM
Visa is a Tourist card in Mexico

Are you saying that your last trip you got them for 6 mons.? If so you are good (and legal) and you are right, you are only checked at the border from Baja Norte into Baja Sur.
timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 05:56 PM
No, I got Tourist Cards a year ago...

and they must have expired by now. I'd consider getting a visa if it meant avoiding the Tourist Card hassle.

Can I get tourist cards in advance someplace here in the states (like on the internet HA!) ?

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 06:35 PM
Again....it's the same thing (unless you go for the resident visa)

Which takes alot of paper work and grief. Had you asked for the 6 mons. (tourist card max) and were within that you would be okay (but, since it was a yr. ago) you are not "legal" ...I know I'm going to get grief for this, but, again...you will not be checked, You are okay "legally" at SF, but, Gonzaga you are over the "line" you make the call...Have fun, Debra
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 07:35 PM
tourist cards

Last year we made it through the line [north south] without being checked,but i was nervoso. Why yould you not get it? Fines and more hassels are not worth 25 bucks.
yakfish
Banned

[*] posted on 1-5-2004 at 07:53 PM

you can get tourist cards at the border At San Yesidro/TJ and pay there too. you have to park and walk back a block get the card walk back to pay at bank window walk back to Imagration office get stamped takes 10 minutes. open 24 hrs. If you are going to cross the border from Baja Norte to Baja Sur. you need it even if you have a visa. But if you dont have a tourist card the imagration officer their will give you one and you can pay at the bank in Guerrero Negro You can get them in advance form Mexican consulate in SanDeigo. there are a few Baja Clubs that also will do the paper work for you too. If you dont want to pay the $ you are taking a chance maybe you will get away with it maybe you wont Maybe you can slip the Imagration guy the 20 and he will look the other way. I dont reccomend it. when in a foreign country Expecially Baja anything can happen better off being Legal. Good Luck Drive Safe
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 11:22 AM
Insurance

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 11:30 AM
Insurance

Keep in mind that your insurance may not be valid if you are illegally in the country. Yes, you will be an illegal alien if you do not have the proper documentation to be in the country.

You will probably have a great time whether you are legal or not but if some yahoo runs into you, and you are not legal, I suggest you do like the Mexicans do. Check to see if anyone is hurt, if not, get away from there as fast as you can.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 12:59 PM

There is now a trailer set up at the border crossing between Norte and Sur where you are checked, if you don't have a tourist card you can do it all there, including pay (you don't have to go into town to the bank) even if you already have your cards in order, you have to go to the trailer and stand in line (what a dang hassle! Keep in mind, that is what was happening last summer when I was there, of course it could have changed 10 mins. after we left! :)

Insurence, Lewis & Lewis says doesn't matter if you have your tourist card, they cover.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Debra]
Hltoppr

[*] posted on 1-7-2004 at 03:43 PM
Tourist Cards/Visados de Tourista

Just came back from a trip to GN last week. Tourist Cards are checked at the border between Baja Norte and Baja Sur, with no delay since we had 'em.

Picked ours up in San Felipe. The Immigration office is in a White painted concrete block building on the Northwest corner of the main roundabout as you get into town, just next to the Pemex.

-H-

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.