Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BAJA HISTORIC BOOKS FOR SALE
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 06:40 PM
BAJA HISTORIC BOOKS FOR SALE

Today I listed two historic Baja books on E Bay. I would be remiss in my loyalty to the members of this forum with out also listing them here. The are:

1) CRUISING THE SEA OF CORTEZ,

by Spencer Murray, photographs by Ralph Poole, self published in 1963, hard cover, no dust jacket with a clean and tight binding.

It is the story of two Long Beach, California adventures who cruise a small cabin cruiser powered by out board in the Sea of Cortez and the many problems they encounter along the way and the many ports the visit. Many, many wonderful historical 1963 photographs of familar areas.

E bay listing # 280072967649 Opening Bid $9.95

2) PENINSULAR CALIFORNIA,

by Charles Norhoff, with many historical photographs, published by Harper Brothers in 1888!
~~~~~that is correct 1888!~~~~~~ .
Hard cover, dust no jacket, very tight binding and exceptionally clean book for it's 118-9 year history!

This is one of the more interesting books in my library, since I have two, my loss will be some one's treasure, and hopefully some one on this board.

Lot of wonderful 118 year old pictures of areas we are all familar with; Santo Tomas, the San Quintin peir, Santa Rosalia, Burro, etc.

Great pictures, great reading, great historical book!

E bay listing #280072979625 Opening bid $14.95

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You may also want to read the "About Me" in the listing.
It some what explains my 57 year romance with Baja and why I refuse to set on a rocking boat and drown worms and call it fishing....

Good luck!

SDM
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 06:23 AM

After being listed for 12 hours the bidding on the book "Penisular California" is at $42.00 with three active bidders and seven potential bidders watching it.

SDM
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 08:30 AM

HM - looks like you'll get a good price!! Great! >f<

bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 09:21 PM

Wish you would have told me when it was $14.95. I'll wind up paying 10 times that amount for it, the way the bids are going. Anybody in the Punta Banda area should be very interested in this book, since the Nordhoff family owned property here for several generations (which they named "Rancho Ramajal"). Thanks for the heads up.

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 06:37 AM

It has been listed 2 days and is currently at $76.00 dollars with eight bidders

Yes it is a great historical book! Fantastic reading a great pictures..

Sad so few Baja forum members are not interested in the history of the area.

sdm
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
[
Sad so few Baja forum members are not interested in the history of the area.

sdm

Dean, I am pleased that you seem to be making a few bucks on one or two books about Baja. I do, however, take exception to your comment above.

I have about 50 books on Baja that cover much of the history of Baja and I know of at least two other Nomads with collections that dwarf mine by a long ways. To my knowledge none of us have any desire to sell our books.

Luck with your sales.

Bernie

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 07:55 AM
Right on, Bernie...

...I too have collected many books on Baja California over the past ten years...must be up around 200 by now. Don't have a copy of PENINSULAR CALIFORNIA, but it looks like the price is getting up a little too 'rich' for my blood on ebay...

Speaking of 'auctions'...did anyone watch the Barrett-Jaskson Auto Auction over in Scottsdale, on Speed Channel, this weekend...now there's an auction for the nuevo rich! A Shelby Cobra, 1966, 427 'Super Snake' went for a cool $5Million, and set a new record for a one auto sale! The buy that bought it also had to pay an add'l $500K commission on top of the bid price!

As the story goes, it was one of only two in this configuration that were built. The other one was built for Bill Cosby, but he returned it after only driving it once! A guy in San Francisco ultimately bought it, but did himself and the 'Snake' in by driving it off a cliff into the Pacific Ocean!

There was lot's of other neat 'eye candy' for we auto 'nuts' to peek at. The results and pic's etc. are on:

www.Battett-Jackson.com

[Edited on 1-22-2007 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
"...I have about 50 books on Baja that cover much of the history of Baja and I know of at least two other Nomads with collections that dwarf mine by a long ways. To my knowledge none of us have any desire to sell our books.
Bernie"

Bernie,

I knew my post would generate a comment from you sooner or later and I certainly welcome it.

The books I am currently marketing are duplicates of others in my library, so are surplus to my needs.

I just measured my established Baja collection; It measures a little over 67 + inches. I did not take the time to count but I would suspect "quite a few" books." I also have a presentabe collection of boxed Baja paper backs and epherma which also adds addional inches, so total ??

I began amassing my collection from a used book store "Acres of Books" in Long Beach, California mid 1950s. In those days there was minimal interest in Baja and even less interest in Baja books, so many books in my collection I aquired at a very reasonable price. Today like they like "Penisular Calfornia" have increased in value many fold.

This begs a point--why isn't there a dedicated thread for Baja Bibliophiles? The historical Baja books are deminishing in quanity every day and increasing at an expodential rate, like my current offerings.

Thanks for the comment and great hearing from you.

SDM
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:33 AM
Dean

How could you know I would respond????Never mind. Perhaps we could expand my 'Baja looking Back' thing to include something for us nuts to post (where it will remain) the books we have with a small footnote as to content. I know that Neal has posted lists in the past with David K chimming in with others.........but these seem to get lost in the mix of other stuff.

Let's see what some others think and then I will talk to the Jefe and see if he is okay with it.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 11:00 AM

The Nordhoff family did indeed live in Baja and spawned several famous writers.

Walter Nordhoff (under the pen name of Fierro Blanco) wrote the Baja classic Journey of the Flame.

Another famous Charles Nordhoff co-wrote Mutiny on the Bounty.

Here is my old resurrected book list:

Bibliophiles Baja
By Neal Johns 9/2003

The choice of a limited number of Baja oriented books is a very personal thing. Delicate shades and nuances of the Baja spirit will of necessity be left out of this short listing. An all-encompassing list (except for the years after 1964) is in the three-volume bibliography by Barrett, Baja California. Two books covering the fascinating Pinacate
region a few miles east of Baja were slipped in because of their excellence. Many of the books selected are out of print but are available from antiquarian bookstores, or on the Internet.

What’s Down There?

The Central Desert of Baja California – Aschmann
A readable scientific study of ecology, including Indians.

Lower California and its Natural Resources – Nelson
Results of a 1905-1906 U.S. government survey of the peninsula.

Natural History of Baja California – Barco
As seen by Father Barco in the 1700’s.

The Kings Highway in Baja California – Crosby
Thirty years ago, Crosby traveled The El Camino Real by
mule-great maps/photos.

The Cave Paintings of Baja California – Crosby
Great coffee table book of the ancient Indian murals.

Last of the Californios – Crosby
Text and photos of the self sufficient lives of isolated ranchers.

Las Misiones Antiguas – Vernon
Pictures and history of the Missions of Baja

The Forgotten Peninsula – Krutch
An old natural history classic of Baja.

Roadside Geology and Biology of Baja California – Minch
Geology, biology, botany and archeology keyed to the Kilo posts.

Baja California Plant Guild – Roberts
The title says it all.

What Does it Look Like?

Baja – Moore and Peac-ck
Coffee table book of great photos.

How do I Get There?

The Baja Adventure Book – Peterson
The best of the current guidebooks.

Backroad Baja – Higginbotham
Best guidebook to get into the real backcountry.

Lower California Guidebook – Gerhard and Gulick
Before Highway 1, this was the bible.

Baja Almanac – Baja Almanac Publishing
Dirt road delight, the most complete map.

What do Traveler’s Need to Know?

Backcountry Mexico – Burleson and Riskind
Customs and vocabulary back of the beyond.

The People’s Guide to Camping in Mexico – Franz
Customs and vocabulary back of the beyond.

Baja4You – Giesea
Question and answer format mainly for residents.

Other People’s Experiences

Hardly any Fences – Hilton
This famous artist was one of us. Great plates of his work also.

Camp and Camino in Lower California – North
Travel before automobiles.

The Journey of the Flame – Fierro Blanco
A fictional, but authentic, journey over the El Camino Real in the early 1800’s.

Almost an Island – Berger
A modern reflection on changes over the last four decades.

Baja Fever – Niemann
Interesting stories of the old days traveling in Baja.

Baja California: Vanished Missions, Lost Treasures, Strange Stories, True and Tall –Pepper
For the romantic in all of us.

Into a Desert Place – Mackintosh
Can you imagine walking all the way around the coastline of Baja by yourself (sans roads)?

The Water World

The Flight of the Least Petrel – Bancroft
One of the best of several voyages in the Sea of Cortez.

The Baja Catch – Kelly and Kira
Fisherman’s Bible.

King of the Moon – Kira
A fictional, but authentic, novel of life in a fishing camp.

History of Baja

Antigua California – Crosby
The definitive modern history book by a master.

Observations in Lower California – Baegert
Father Baegert tells it like he saw it in 1771.

A History of Lower California – Martinez
A 1960 work of love.

Pinacate

Desert Heart – Hartmann
The Pinacate wonderland is on the border a hundred miles or so east of Yuma.

The Sierra Pinacate – Hayden
A combination, knowledgeable text and picture book by a field archeologist.

Special Mention

The Baja Travels Series 1965-1992– Dawson
Glen Dawson and his famous Baja bookstore is responsible for many convertsto what for many of us is a secular religion. This series of 51 books covers the entire range of Baja subjects. In 1989 the Los Angeles County Natural History Museum took over from Dawson's as publisher of the series.

The Unforgettable Sea of Cortez – Kira
The Baja experiences of Ray Cannon, who’s fishing columns in Western Outdoor News introduced thousands of Americans to the wonders of Baja during its Golden Age of 1947-1977, for better or worse. Gene Kira wrote it as a memorial with the invaluable help of Ray’s lovely wife, Carla, who supplied decades of memorabilia.

[Edited on 1-22-2007 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 11:52 AM

When I get the book, it will be available for Nomads to view here in my collection and someday at El Rosario's Baja Book Library being developed by BajaCactus. :yes:

As I was out-bidded, I purchased a copy from another source.

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 12:50 PM
BAJA BOOKS--BAJA BERNIE

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
How could you know I would respond????Never mind.... .

I admire and respect you for your many efforts and informative historical posts.

I am certain that when we meet we will have a lot to discuss become immediate friends .

Until that meeting occurs the Baja Board will be our commonality factor for sharing stories.

Cheers and keep up the good work,

SDM
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 06:39 PM
Dean

Nice words are always appreciated and yours make me very happy indeed. Look for forward to meeting you one day!

Mexray was it you or Oso who recommended the book, "The Pig in the Barber Shop' by H.Allen Smith. Not written about Baja but if anyone wishes to laugh his/her burro off and at the same time really begin to understand the Mexican culture this one is a must read.
who ever recommended it I thank you for great insight into the real Mexican folks.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 06:58 PM
David K

Look at your email!

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 07:23 PM

Some excellent and informative posts here. I've done a little research and
Nordhoff's Peninsular California, e.g.

"NY: Harper & Brothers, 1888. Hardcover Hardcover, 8vo, 130 papes plus ads. Illustrated with b/w photographs and maps. Binding is strong. Corners rubbed. The embossed green cloth is blackened along edges and on spine, which might be from soot; erasing helps. The gilt lettering remains readable on the spine and bright on the cover. Interior has no markings of any kind and no wear, and is in excellent condition. Very good-"

is going for an average of $75, but up to $200+ in the used book market. Good luck, Mr. Miller, you have a fine and sought after book there.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 04:42 AM
PENISULAR CALIFORIA--NORDHOFF

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
Some excellent and informative posts here. I've done a little research and
Nordhoff's Peninsular California, e.g.

"NY: Harper & Brothers, 1888. Hardcover Hardcover, 8vo, 130 papes plus ads. Illustrated with b/w photographs and maps. Binding is strong. Corners rubbed. The embossed green cloth is blackened along edges and on spine, which might be from soot; erasing helps. The gilt lettering remains readable on the spine and bright on the cover. Interior has no markings of any kind and no wear, and is in excellent condition. Very good-"

is going for an average of $75, but up to $200+ in the used book market. Good luck, Mr. Miller, you have a fine and sought after book there.

CURRENT BID =$103.50=TEN BIDDERS, 4 DAYS REMAINING

SDM
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 06:42 AM

Neal,
Mexray

Thanks for the biblio list of your collection, I must also do the same. We are certainly rank beginners when compaired to Mexray who, according to his post has 200 voumes in his collection. I understand there are others on this board who have equally impressive collections, but seldom posts bibliophilic information. Perhaps with post like this we can induce them to share their knowledge of the Baja written word

It would be nice, but some would say unneccesary to create a document of Baja related books. Ther is a mulitude of Baja books, authors are publishing new ones every day; concurrenly older ones are becomming very scarce and increasing in value as every day passes.

Perhaps a Baja bibliofile could be established listing each volume by title, author (S) year published, publisher, and if approprite LCC or ISBN numbers. It would be one of a kind document that would be valuable for all-- from the casual visitor, to the serious researcher.

David K good luck with your efforts in El Rosario.

Baja Bruno, Yes I was aware that it was rare and vauable when I listed it. However I did not take the time to research it as you did. Thanks again.

SDM
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 02:12 PM

WTF. Someone outbid me on my book. GEt out your check books fellas. :P

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 08:30 PM

Currently $215.00 USD

Therianthropic
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 06:12 AM

Yep, currently at $215.00 20 bids and 16 watchers who have it marked.

SDM
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.