Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja/Disneyland
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 03:04 PM
Baja/Disneyland

It has come to my attention that many on this board, and others seem to consider Baja,Mexico some type of Disneyland or personal amusement park that has no rules.
They come here thinking that the Mexicans that live here are just an annoying inconvenience to their vacations and something to be careful of as they are just there to rip us off.
So, they come, they drink their Tequila by the gallon and massive quantities of beer and whatever because it's cheap and proceed to act like idiots. They race around on their toys and quite often get hurt, they fight with each other and talk behind each others backs and set a fine example of americanism wherever they go with these actions.
And because of their paranoia from living in the U.S., they come in droves and go to little american type communities so they can be with themselves and safe from those horrid Mexican people that live in shacks, drive crappy trucks n cars, and don't immediately smile at them.
And then they complain about this, that and the other thing if they didn't have the "perfect vacation" while visiting a third world country.
Well, if you take a look at yourselves and then at the Mexicans, you might begin to understand why they don't immediately smile or take a liking to you. It's because they think you are scary idiots. And I have to say, I agree.
These people are not shallow and they are very observant of the planet and people on it. When they see the majority of americans coming down and using this type of behaviour the majority of the time, well, what would you think ?
And instead of the gringos trying to show them some respect, they just assume they are all thieves and people that "need to be watched out for".
This is about as wrong an assumption that can possibly be made. And if any of you really care about Baja and the people rather than just your personal playground or a way to make $$ writing books about your adventures rather than respecting Baja for what it is, you will pay attention to what I am saying.
Spanish is not that hard to learn if you work at it and don't be ashamed of trying to speak it. The Mexican people are more than willing to help with pronunciation. Just the fact that you are trying is showing respect.
These people are the same as the rest of the people on the planet and deserve the same respect as anyone. Especially you because they consider their families the most important thing. Period.. Just because they don't have money doesn't mean they don't work their butts off trying to survive and feed their families.
These families stick together through any ordeals. They do not put their relatives in "homes" when they become a burden. They care for them always and show love constantly. Can many of you say the same thing in your country ?
They will give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. They always stop to help stranded motorists and will generally invite you to join in their meals and festivities if you are a human. I'll bet that happens a lot in your neighborhood. Some foreigner's car breaks in front of your house. What's your first thought, he needs help or we are about to get ripped off? Answer truthfully now ! And then, if the poor soul who's car has broken was fortunate enough to have a wife or kids in the car so you see he's not a crook, are you going to help them and invite them in for food and whatever they need. Doubt it.
Here's a little something to help the Humans along that are interested along. Try going to http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish

And then, clean up your acts and show some respect. It will pay off in the long run as you will make some incredible friends.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 03:40 PM
I agree with you, BUT

I have seen examples of what you have written about here, but most of the Americans I run into in Baja don't fit into your mold. You make it sound as if every American that comes down to Baja acts like an idiot. This is not the case at all---at least in Loreto and the sorrounding area. In fact, I find the Americans you write of in the minority down in Baja Sur. I have also seen Mexicans act pretty bad although most of them are very fine people. I have noticed over the years that some of our customs clash and one must be careful not to offend the other by doing everyday things that are common up here....and visa versa. Perhaps a slightly more gentle way of advising people of their habits would be in order.:)

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 04:28 PM

Therefore,as God's chosen people,holy and dearly love,clothe yourselves with compassion,kindness,humility,gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And in all these virtues put on Love,which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3;12

jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 04:42 PM

Well, we are Canadians, and we certainly agree with you about the Mexican people. They are a friendly and a generous people, and seem to be far more happy with their modest lot, than most of us are with all our toys. I feel it necessary also to say that most of the US visitors that we have met while travelling tend to be friendly and green in nature. Perhaps that is because we mostly camp in areas that are far from the resort towns, and even from some of the 'free' and 50 peso beaches. We find people there who mostly like to enjoy nature and learn about the history and geography of the area.:D
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 05:52 PM
Ski

I feel very fortunate that I have managed to miss the Americans you refer too, maybe because I stay away from border towns where it's too easy to get too, Maybe it's the same as north of the border where the Mexicans also are not as polite as we would wish. People are people, sometimes wonderful, sometimes not.. That is human nature...I will say again at the risk of being repetitive, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" :)
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 05:54 PM
Right again

I do tend to generalize which is wrong. I have met many people of all nationalities in Baja and enjoyed most every one of them.
I have also experienced the Gringo areas where this type behavior is the norm. And fortunately, unless you are not afraid of the Mexicans and unpopulated areas of Baja, these people keep to themselves in their enclaves.
Anyways, just some very valid points for some to think about before complaining about Mexico. For whatever it's worth.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 05:59 PM
Ski

The only complaint I have is that you haven't invited me to go sking in Baja! :spingrin:
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 06:05 PM
Ski

Ski:

I think you are preaching to the wrong crowd. The people you are speaking about don't tend to frequent this board. I rarely hear any complaing about Mexico here except for very specific topics.

Big Al
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 06:06 PM
Skiing

Skiing in Baja could happen again any day now. Our nights have been COLD and if we get some rain as predicted, strap those puppies on Deb. I would love to have a cross country ski outing down here.
I probably mentioned before though that the night I went to the mountains to ski was the coldest night I have ever experienced. 7 years in the Berkshires, 3 years in Jackson Hole, 10 years in Tahoe City and my coldest night to this date was in Baja. Go figure. Example; dogs water frozen solid in 1/2 hour. Good snow though.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 07:08 PM

Well....there 'ya go.......They are sking at Queen Ann hill in Seattle I'm told today....I went out on a jaunt today in my "new" 4Runner....even saw some ski-mobils....(what the heck are they doing with them here?!) we don't ever have this, last time was in '96
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:21 PM

Ski, I know you get around baja a lot and I respect that. ALL AMERICANS ARE NOT IDIOTS! Lighten up, brother.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:27 PM

JR, living so near that POS town Rosarito Beach, that caters to the Gringo that we both despise has colored your vision. You need to get out more.:lol:

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:36 PM
J.R.

Right on bro!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
ferdic1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:37 PM

A very wise (it seemed to me) woman in Bahia de Los Angeles (Raquel, of Raquel & Larry's), commented to us when we dared mention the condition of the roads: "Bad roads bring good people; good roads, bad people."

I think the further away from the U.S. border you get in Baja, the more agreeable the U.S. visitor you'll find (Cabo excepted).

God save us from Baja road improvements!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 08:51 PM
Generalizing

is what I am guilty of and I already apologized. And for those of you that read something different into what I said, I apologize again for generalizing.
But, my words were directed to specific individuals although I personally have no idea of who they are on here. If the Huarache fits, -------
And the rest of you guys crack me up. :lol:

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 09:19 PM

Raquel while a very great lady..was citing Mama Espanosia words from about 40 something years ago. :)
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 09:30 PM
Skiing in Baja

Hey Ski--I gather you do you're skiing in the San Pedro Martir...(?). Despite you're "coldest night ever", I've found the San Pedro to have an amazingly constant temperature year-round--I've had 18 degrees and snow in June, 28 degrees at night in August, and a low of only 25 degrees around New Year's with 2 feet of snow on the ground...of course daytime temps are higher in summer. Some literature regarding the forests up there remarked on the consistent growth rings in the trees as well, reflecting the consistent temps(and consistent year round water). Anyway, its a beautiful place to go to, and I'm sorry they're blocking vehicle access to most of the park now(understandably). I've had some great times exploring the old roads on that mountain, the old mill, the rancher's cedar shack, etc. Have fun skiing.....
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 09:53 PM
Blocked roads

There's actually a few places where you can ski in Baja. One of the reasons for Xcountry skiing would be- blocked roads.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 09:56 PM

JR,
While I agree with some of the things your wider than wide brush painted I disagee with a bunch of it. As you know I write books and most of what I write about is people interacting with people both Mexican and American and I believe strongly that the average Mexican has a lot to teach some of us stressed out gringos. As far as making money on writing books about Baja that is a laugh. Not really a large market for Baja Books even though most of us enjoy them. Take a look at my last effort, Bouncing Around Baja, and read the chapter called 'A Wave and a Smile' that deals in a very positive and true fashion with the wonderful interaction between Native born and gringos. Or read the one on the Sage of San Ignacio which is about Don Jimmy. I write to salute the Mexican People and this great place we all call Baja. Enough of that.
I believe that your heart is in the right place but I believe you lash out at your friends here because you are exposed to more of the types you rail about than most of us. One thing I have learned after 40 years of kicking around Baja is to relax and realize that these great people truly have a lot to teach us. Patience is what sets them apart from most of us visitors.
I just sent you a private post about Don Jimmy and your idea about creating a monument for him--I think he is most worthy gringo who ever lived in Baja. He was an ol' slinger of ink who wrote a bunch about his home--Baja. He died with very few pesos in his jeans but he was the richest man I have ever met.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 10:11 PM

ski, I guess you dont get out of rosarito too much. Maybe I'm that guy that you point your finger at and call an idiot. Yea i race on my 4 stroke a little too fast and yea I've even been hurt down in baja. Hey sometimes I've drank soo much beer i passed out in a hammoc on the beach. But the next day I went fishing with my 70 year old dad, listened to jimmy buffet on the boat, and caught dorado all day long. So I guess what I'm getting at is that you are a pitiful, lonely person, that thinks they have some monopoly on the enjoyment of baja. 99% of the people I've run into (south of rosarito anyway) will do whatever it takes to help an amigo out, and thats the travler I am. So stay out of my way when I'm on the bike or heading to the bar, and I guess you want any help from this "idiot".
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.