Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Camping In Bay Of L.A.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

wink.gif posted on 1-22-2007 at 04:07 PM
Camping In Bay Of L.A.

Hello Nomads,
Back to the usual each time of the year... Planning for a trip to Bahia De Los Angeles and since camp Gecko is now closed, where else is a good place to go. I prefer the area of camp gecko but I guess anywhere in the bay will do.
Our group, as many as 12 plan to camp & fish, tring to stay with-in the limits each day. Really we plan to eat a lot fish tacos... Are achelon and ??? dang I forget the names of the camps open for business. If they are can someone give me an email addess or phone number where a real live human being will either answer the phone or return an email.:?: cause when ever I email someone in Baja they just seem not to reply. The only one that was good at repling was Doc at camp Gecko, man I am going to miss not going there:(
Any if will be appreciated and thank you all in advance:D

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 04:12 PM

www.BahiaDeLosAngelesInfo.com

You will find info on camping as well as other helpful info on Mia's website.

P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
SoCalAl
Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 1-22-2007 at 05:34 PM
Need to find Camp in bay of LA?

I will try here since I think I posted in the wrong area.

I need to find a camp that will be open in early July in bay of LA. Preference near the old Camp Gecko camp. My party is expected to have as many as 12...

Thanks
SoCalal;D

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 06:13 PM

We're happy at Campo Archelon with Antonio & Bety - I'll trya dn find their email address....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 06:47 PM

Daggett's, La Ventana, and Archelon have had Nomad campers... They are all north of town off the new paved La Gringa highway (paved half way).

http://www.campdaggetts.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 08:02 PM

daggets al.
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 02:44 PM

Thanks Guys,
4baja is daggets si,ilar to Gecko.. you know the cabins and stuff like that?

Also is there any camps in the area of where camp Gecko was?

What about La Gringa is that a cool place to lay out a bunch of tents and fish of the beach and rocks. We are planning to take a bunch of kids out there as well.

Thanks for all the info,
SoCalAl

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 04:59 PM

Al, I gave the link to Daggett's web page, above... it has photos... Yes, cabins...

No 'campos' south of town, just private homes and an undeveloped beach south of Muņoz' property (south of Gecko)... where the bay curves to the east.

Gravel beach near Punta La Gringa with lot's of space to camp in the area...

[Edited on 1-24-2007 by David K]

1106 146r.JPG - 47kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 05:13 PM

We enjoyed our short stay at Daggetts. They have boats, kayaks, and dive gear for rent. A small restaurant also.

[Edited on 1-24-2007 by tripledigitken]

[Edited on 1-24-2007 by tripledigitken]

daggets2.jpg - 44kB
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 05:43 PM

Thanks David K and tripledigitken.. I remember driving through Daggets now.. What about a beach with some sand like Gecko....? Anything in the area or do we have to settle for gravel beach. The question then would be how is the bottom after a few feet in the water. Will kids enjoy this gravel beach? What is your experience there David K or anyone else who has taken children ages 7 to 15 year old..?

Thanks
Alex L

SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 05:49 PM

I saw the images from the web-site.. Looks like the beach is alright at high tide and that is important. It looks like the wind hits the camp head on there.
Also was is the general per night charge for just caming next to palapa and or a cabin...

I guess I will write the owner an email.. I would love to see more images though. If anyone has more pics please email me at lxlicea@microtek.com

Thanks
Alex

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 05:59 PM

Here is a picture of the beach in front of Daggetts.

daggetts beach.jpg - 27kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 07:06 PM

There is a sand beach just before La Gringa open for camping (a fee is collected where you drive through the new fence)... It is very nice, but no facilities.

Archelon, Daggett's, La Ventana and others are between town and La Gringa.

burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 10:04 AM

We used to pull our trailer out to La Gringa before we had the kid - now we're too tired.

Still, La Gringa is a nice place for independent camping.

I have heard great things about Daggett's.

We just got to know Antonio and Bety and things took off from there. Like Daggett's, Archelon has nice sand beach, easy launch for kayaks and ncie swimming. Both palapas and sturdier cabanas for rent. Cabanas come with kitchen and restroom - while those camping at the palapas use shared facilities (hot water showers).

It's a small place (which we like) - two cabanas, maybe six or so palapas with sapce for RVs and tents near each.

There always seems to be a group of kids there which is nice for our young son.
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 02:00 PM

Hey tripledigitken , David K and burritomama :lol:,
Can't help it with the name burritomama but ohh well.. Thanks for all the info. Now I know where to go I just hope I can communicate with no problems..

Thank You all,
SoCalAl:yes:

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 03:08 PM

SoCalAl, communication isn't so hard. Ruben Daggett speaks good English. I don't now about Archelon. Shall find out when I arrive. My eta is 2/6 or 7. Leaving Borrego Springs on the 2nd or 5th. Not sure yet. When are you going? If any of the Bajanomads is there, I sincerely hope to meet them because this forum is the best !!
Hope you have a good trip to Baja. Brgds.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 03:10 PM

Antonio at Achelon speaks English very well.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 03:15 PM

Thanks Paulina :D

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
SoCalAl
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 04:29 PM

I plan to be there either late June or the 2nd week of July....

Thanks for the info..
Alex

bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2007 at 06:56 PM

You should not have a problem finding a camping spot during the time frame you'll be coming down. Daggett's and Archelon are both good choices but if you prefer more solitude there are plenty of other areas along the coast towards La Gringa and of course including La Gringa itself (and Northward). Expect someone to come and collect for camping fees.

Usually by the 4th of July the temperatures jump considerably; 110+ in the shade is quite common. Make sure you've got plenty of shade, lightweight cotton clothing, sunscreen, etc...Try and get your bedding/sleeping arrangements up off the ground as summertime is also when the various critters are alot more active especially at night. Don't leave shoes on the ground at night, for instance. Put them on the top of your car. The dunes along the beach are a favorite area for scorpions, black widows and also snakes. Make sure you've got flashlights for walking about at night.

For sleeping outside at night, make sure you bring lots of insect repellent along to keep the mosquitoes somewhat at bay.

If the West Winds kick up, they'll be HOT...like the air coming out of a hairdryer. Keep a sheet or towel handy that you can wet down and put over you; that will help keep you cool. Summer can be a real blast, as long as one prepares for the heat and other conditions.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.