Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guerrero Negro soon
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 09:38 PM
Guerrero Negro soon

Hello, everyone on this board is always so full of great info. I guess that is the way it is with people who truly love Baja. Here is Tahoe there is no snow this year, no snow=no skiing = no work. so.... We want to hopefully come and see whales around early-mid Feb. Are they there yet? Is Gruerrero Negro a good spot to be around the 10th? Like many on this board will will have our dog with us. We also want to see whatever that region has to offer as we are usually quite a bit further south. We only have about 10-12 days so any info will be greatly appreciated.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 10:16 PM

Is 10-12 days in Baja or total travel time? Maybe you can get some pet-meds from your vet and then give/slip 'em to whoever needs them most.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 10:22 PM

Whales are there from December to April... Later dates you will see more calves and moms.

Here is a whale off Oceanside heading to Baja last month...

1206 035-rr.JPG - 45kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 10:26 PM

If you're lucky...

Rare photos of a whale's "dork" in action (Scammon's Lagoon)...

Photos from Erle Stanley Gardner's 1960 'Hunting the Desert Whale'

whale dork-r.JPG - 29kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CWF

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 11:05 AM

I've had plenty of opportunities to photograph "Pink Floyd" aka "Moby Dick" but I always felt like too much of a voyeur and encouraged our pangero to move on and give the whales their privacy
:saint:

Greta, I recommend going to San Ignacio Lagoon instead of Scammon's (Ojo de Liebre). It's a longer drive, but I've found the experience to be much better and the Ignacio Springs B&B in San Ignacio is first rate.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 07:20 PM

Hi Greta, I would disagree about whale experience being better in San Ignacio...maybe you should try both. When in Guerrero Negro give our nomad special correspondat Sirena a call and she can show you around the area, also we would be happy to show you around our area where there is lots to see and do. I'll U2U sirena's phone number. Have a great trip.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 08:31 PM

hehe...nice picture...i think...??? yeah give me a call!!!!! I always have my cell with me even when i´m in school so...no problem there!!!
hope to see you soon!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 10:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I have read so many posts on this board (ya, lurked) Shari, I will email to stay at your friends place in Guerrero Negro. I read your posts and I think your area looks like it would be fun. I want to check out the fossils. I will call Sirena. I know 12 days total travel time is too short but it is better than complaining that the skiing is bad. I'm excited to check out some new stuff! To DavidT, the dog is a 2 yr old, 90lb German Shepherd so I don't know who will need the meds most. It will be her first drive over 4 hrs. Well, Thanks again
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 08:58 AM

Just a note on the gray whale pic in Oceanside...see the big white scar on his back...well those are from getting run over by boats...usually while they sleep. Particularly on the long migration,they take cat naps on the surface and as they migrate so close to shore, they are often run over by boats which makes a big white scar across their back. Sometimes they have big deep V's cut into their backs as well...and once I saw a whale with lots of deep cuts all along it's back from a large propeller...I couldn't believe she lived through that horror. These scars help us quickly identify them.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 10:34 AM
Shari and Sirena

Hi,
Being the animal lovers you are, you understand why so many of us travel with our fur friends. Now, just something you might think about and pass on to your family and friends out at Ojo de Liebre.

We just love it there and have left our dogs in our camper with a fan or in the front of the truck shaded by the camper. However, one can't safely do that for very long. There is really no shade at the lagoon.

At Carlsbad Caverans in the US, they have a special room inside cool room with dog cages where someone can safely leave a pet when it is hot. Just a thought. It might encourage more people with pets to go whale watching if they have that safe and shaded place for the pups. Nothing fancy, just clean, shaded and safe.

Just a thought
Diane

[Edited on 1-27-2007 by jdtrotter]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 09:10 AM

Diane, the folks at the lagoon are happy to watch your pet and you can tie him up by the ticket office...Sirena used to dog watch but she's in school now...but I know the guys don't mind and the doggies like being around there too.

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2007 at 12:24 PM

I bring my dogs crate and put it outside near the ticket office in the shade and put my dog in it just before we get on the boat.
We also try to get out on one of the last trips of the day less people on the boat and less boats on the water.
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2007 at 05:03 PM

HI everyone, I know we have limited time, would it be nice to stay in both guerrero negro and go out and stay at Bahia de Asunscion? The camping at Ojo de Liebre sounds really nice and Bahia Asuncion sounds completely different than anyplace we have been in Baja Sur before. I can't wait Feb. 5 is getting closer. Thanks

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.