BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Did you see last week..
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2007 at 11:48 PM
Did you see last week..

Watching the AM TV news this last week. In Texas the Mc Donald drive-in's are going to take both dollars and pesos for purchases... The local texan's were fighting this display of non-patrotism.... "How can they take those"

Am I alone in thinking how stupid these cowboys are?
I can't tell you how many times after coming back home, 700 miles from Tijiuna, with my pocket full of pesos wish'in to use'em at the local market. Its easy.. Do it all the time in Baja. Pesos / Dollars.

Whats the problem?
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 03:36 AM

our inherent arrogance.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 05:52 AM

All I can say is that idiots like this make it harder on us Gringos living down here and this is not the only reason.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 08:28 AM

I'd say McDonald ought to be able to accept whatever currency they want. It's about business.:spingrin::DPatriotism?:OThere are plenty of folks in the armed services with relatives in Mexico.:yes:
KenS

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 10:12 AM

"Pizza Patron" in Texas has taken some heat for accepting Pesos... I even heard someone on NPR (I think...) suggesting that it's illegal as they are "aiding and abetting illegal aliens" :rolleyes:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 11:17 AM

Now Yawl Listen Up Ya Heh!!

Us'ens Texans are not all so Narrowed Minded! Just look what happened in New York City with the Muslim Cabbies!

Look at San Francisco where they are trying to get a Law that you can'y Spank your own child!

Mexicanos Accepts Dollars Why not Americanos accepting Pesos??

I think it is just some "narrowed Minded Sheep trying to get Attention"'

Yawl come to see me, Ya Heh!

Skeet
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 12:54 PM

y'all so narrow minded, you could look through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time!!!!!!!!

and you thought I was from NYC! shame on y'all............

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2007 at 08:05 PM
Money

You know I am in business and need every dollar that I have the chane to make.. I am in "Back Water" Nor Cal, And I have had a few from south of San Diego come in to my store to purchase what I sell. I took thier dollars, but I would of taken thier Pesos because I can use'em. It's just money..

The business owners trying to pay thier bills, maybe local Cowboys, To turn away a sell because of Pesos.... Come on its just money not a politcal statement..

Viva La Pesos....
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 10:53 AM

msawin just read above, that is really the answer?!?!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 11:06 AM

When we lived in Calexico it was really convenient---we never had to exchange left over pesos as we could spend them anywhere in Calexico---Von's Market, Walmart, or anywhere else.

Bet some of those people complaining would be really upset if they crossed into Mexico and someone did not accept their dollars.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 11:30 AM

JD, I doubt the people who complain about foreign currency will ever have to worry about their dollars being accepted in Mexico. Folks with that attitude, I suspect, are part of that 70% of Americans who are SO isolated from their membership in the world community that they don't even possess a passport.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
JD, I doubt the people who complain about foreign currency will ever have to worry about their dollars being accepted in Mexico. Folks with that attitude, I suspect, are part of that 70% of Americans who are SO isolated from their membership in the world community that they don't even possess a passport.

Agreed----they probably are the ones that are sure they will be raped, robbed and murdered if they ever leave the US. :lol:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 12:36 PM
Fanning the Flames of Discontent

I doubt that even those who are promoting the discontent over the "Pesos" actually believe it's a problem signifying anything. It simply represents a Political opportunity to get part of the Base Agitated. Whether or not that Agitation can be maintained until the next election cycle is doubtful, but it's worth the effort.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 02:33 PM
WTF?

15 pesos make a dollar right? gotta travel many miles to spend them down south.....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-27-2007 by woody in ob]

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 04:33 PM

When was the last time you walked in a USA bank and tried to exchange any kind of foreign currency? Money wires....a different thang!:lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 05:13 PM

you need to go to the "mall":lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
KenS

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I doubt that even those who are promoting the discontent over the "Pesos" actually believe it's a problem signifying anything. It simply represents a Political opportunity to get part of the Base Agitated. Whether or not that Agitation can be maintained until the next election cycle is doubtful, but it's worth the effort.

I think that's the thrust of it... the gentleman I heard was so rabid he couldn't even listen to the suggestion that having pesos had nothing to do with immigration status. Pizza Patron also indicated that most of the negative feed back they got was from areas where the did not, and probably would never, have franchises.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 06:10 PM

Probably isn't what you're talking about Sharks, but from this keyboard I often go to my B of A on-line banking site, order my money, and the Pesos arrive in a day or so by FedEx.

Haven't tried to take any back.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 06:58 PM

vgabndo ----
You, while in the states, order pesos from your bank and Fedex delivers?
Or, do you do this in Mexico? Is Fedex in Mexico? What is the charge for this service?

Speaking of money, the Cambio with the best rate of exchange that I have seen is in Costco, Chula Vista. I dont use Cambios but if I did..........
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-27-2007 at 07:12 PM

Stupid is as stupid does................Money is money and I have plenty of room in my wallet for either dollars or pesos.

Question................do Mexican banks still refuse to take any kind of change from a Mexican...............I used to have a waiter friend who would bring his tip change to me and I would take it to the bank and change it for paper, either bucks or pesos because they just would not accept it from him.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.