Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Ski Baja
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 10:52 AM
Ski Baja

Ski...I REALLY think that if you met "most" of us on this board you would like the majority. We all have a common bond...BAJA. I am not talking about the "weekend warriors" that go to Rosarito, T.J. and Ensenada to drink til they puke and pee on the streets...(sorry for the visual) I am talking about the people who really love Baja. The ones that will travel to the BOLA, Baja De Concepcion, Mulege, (pig roast) Punta Chivato, ( I could go on and on). The ones that pick up there trash when they leave one place and go to another, and even pick up trash that was not theirs. The one's that go there to sit and watch the pelicans glide across the Sea of Cortez, the dolphins, whales and numerous other sea creatures, the sunrise and sunsets. The people who go there to clear their minds of the rat race, traffic, and all that goes on in their world north of the border. The SERINITY!! It is very theuraputic. There is a lot of places that I have not even been yet. I commend you on your apology because ALL of us are not in the group that you refer to. Hopefully you will take the time to meet some of us and you will see.....we DO love Baja for it's people and it's many beautiful places to visit. I look forward to meeting you one day. Just look for the guy that is the color of a traffic cone :lol::cool: Baja Red
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 12:22 PM
Back to

If the Huarache fits. I do tend to generalize and again I apologize to those that can't wear that huarache.
Here's where I am coming from. As you know, I live in Playas de Rosarito. Basically a party town. We didn't move here for that and in fact we moved to a small Mexican community outside of town.
About 4 years after living here, some gringos from the San Gabriel Valley moved here.
They owned a bar up there somewhere and many of their friends bought out the Mexican families and they now have weekend homes here.
First thing they do is build fences to keep out the "Nationals" as they called them. Then, they wanted to ban the locals from coming to the beach here. Idiots! these people have been using this beach for many years and now the gringos want to make it private.
Well, you all know my feelings on this so after many a battle with me and the locals, they finally realized that something very bad would hapen to them if they continued this nonsense.
So now, they come down on the weekends, get so drunk they can't even talk or walk, and fight with each other. Brilliant specimens of people.
That is Rosarito.
Now, I travel throughout Baja probably more than anyone. We spent the entire month of January last year looking into areas that hadn't become american or canadian enclaves. These places were extremely hard to find because the enclaves are sprouting up everywhere. Todos Santos is getting to be like Orange County and even Punta Peque?a has become a yuppie resort.
The local Mexicans do not benefit from this as the newcomers open a restaurant and the gringos all hang out there for safety reasons. ( watch out for those theivin beaners) I hear fairly regularly from these "dudes".
And then there is Concepcion Bay. I have never seen a ruder bunch of people than the motorhome crowd that takes over those beaches. Most of them are deathly afraid of having any dealings with the locals. And as far as picking up their trash, let alone anyone elses, "why that's the Mexicans job, we don't have time for that". Again , this does not apply to everyone but enough so that it makes me sick to see so many of these marooons in action.
Which is one of the reasons why I am trying to get my environmental inspector credentials down here. I will not be making many friends in many of these enclaves but they will find out what it means to be a pig in another country.
That's where I am coming from. If I offend some, well that's a real shame. I love this country and the people that live here. And when I see foreigners causing havoc or being idiots, thay had best watch out. Mexicans are very mild mannered and don't like involving themselves in anything other than their families.
I on the other hand am not. And, I intend to do something about gringo related problems down here. So for those of you drunken speeding racers or any other clowns that think they own the world, I recommend thinking about your actions prior to finding out the consequences.
To the rest of you, keep up the good work.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 12:40 PM

Keep up the good work Ski, and don't back down. You have alot of good points and it is hard not to over generalize. You obviously have read many of the posts here and know a great deal of these folks are just as you describe. They may not want to admit it but it is true. ***********************************************************************

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by BajaNomad]
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 01:27 PM
Religion

And whoever the anonymous poster is that keeps quoting the psalms, you had best not be a Catholic Priest spouting off because I consider them more harmful to society than the idiots. Unless of course you are a Mexican one. They don't spend their entire sermons trying to weasle money out of the congregation and diddling little boys in the back rooms.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 01:42 PM

Ski - You must really love to be unhappy.... you live in an armpit magnet for all the drunken gringo types... and then complain night and day about them! Why don't you move away from that sh*thole and give us a break? ******************* ******************

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by BajaNomad]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:15 PM

I believe we should avoid posts which suggest that a member commit suicide; think that's carrying all this fun just a bit too far.

After a week with bad flu, I manage to stagger out to my computer hoping to find some wonderful tales to help me remember Baja awaits. The trip reports and photos are great, folks; thank you very, very much. But the standard whining and sniping makes me want to crawl back into my hole, which I will now do. When I return, please please feed me some of those great Baja tales - even the recycled ones.

Almost forgot: :fire:
Bible-quoter - come out from behind your frock and let us see who you are.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:35 PM

by the way Punta Peqena is not yuppie central, maybe if you went there you would know.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:38 PM
Actually nameless one,

I am really pretty happy. I am doing what is necessary to at least make some of you think before you do stupid things. Many believe in what I am saying but many are of your opinion as well. Everyones entitled.
But, I bet a whole lot of people are at least thinking about what I have to say and if that causes one less piece of trash to be thrown, one less rock to be painted with "Anonymous con anonymous" or a little less paranoia in regards to relations with some of the most honest and loving humans on this planet, then I have succeeded in my goal with my rantings.
You may want to check out http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum before jumping to conclusions about who I am.

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:47 PM
http://www.scorpionbay.net/indexmain.html

If Punta Peque?a is what you are trying to say, you are wrong. No condos yet but they are coming. I don't have any recent photos to put up here but I know many people that are either building or planning to build homes there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:56 PM

Ski,
you are right, about S.B. or P.P> since I can,t spell, I just wanted to see your response, and was sure you were going to come back with a photo or two, I truly enjoy your direct comments. To use your words lightly ( assinine comments:-) Keep up the good fight . I love the puffer fish on the beach , great job.

Keep up the good photoos as well, you have become my source for new background photos every week

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:22 PM
Glad you are enjoying them.

I certainly enjoy taking them.:biggrin:

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:34 PM

Ya , thats what I,m talkin about,

Thanks

HAHAHA does,nt it fell good to let it out?
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:39 PM
Not as good as

Beating the tar out of idiots hahahahahaha:lol:

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:56 PM

Good Idea, But too much work, and besides, I might hurt my casting arm and not be able to fish, to risky,

I prefer to let them dig there own hole,

with all of the bad roads, beaches, policia, and of course the booze that leads to the montezuma revenge caused by all the bad restuarants.:barf::barf:
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 06:39 PM
Ski's Generalizations

Ski:

Well you have apologized for your negative generalizations about all of us gringos. But, the generalizations just keep on coming. This time you are overly positive about Mexicans. According to you, all that Mexicans want to do is be happy and love their families. These people are as diverse as you and I, maybe somewhat simpler in Baja, but just as diverse. If you don?t think the catholic priests in Mexico have problems like in the USA, you just aren?t watching the news. There is a big scandal going on right now about a high level priest in Mexico that is being indited for laundering drug money. Molesting boys doesn?t stop at the border either. Mexicans have similar social problems like we do. There are good members of society and bad ones.

I guess I don?t understand your anger. Mexicans are not all good and Americans are not all bad, as you would have us believe. Sit down with a Mexican in a large city and they will describe their problems to you: Being afraid of their own police, being afraid of being kidnapped and held for ransom, taking off all of your jewelry when on the metro, keeping your wallet in your front pocket, and having to park your car behind a glass topped stone wall because someone will steal it in the night. The evil American is not pulling off these crimes, they are being done by their own Mexican brothers. The Mexican people screw each other a million times more than any American screws them.

An environmental inspector, think again. Mexican pollution is born from Mexicans in general. This generalization is true: Americans are far more conscientious about picking up their trash than Mexicans. Take a look along the highways, watch as Mexicans, without thinking, casually let trash fall from the hands without thinking about. It is sad, but the Mexicans are the ones polluting their land air and water not us gringos. This is true because the environment is not a priority to them, putting food on the table, fixing a broken car or stopping the leaky roof, these are priorities.

Mexicans in the USA tend to frequent establishments owned and operated by their countrymen, just like gringos do in Mexico. They do it because they are more comfortable in these establishments, there is nothing wrong with it. Give the client what he wants and he will return. If the Mexicans don?t open up clean restaurants, with honest waiters, then some enterprising ex-patriot from the USA will fill the need. The owner will then spend his money in the community and the locals will benefit from it. The owner will need to hire staff and buy supplies. This money will be spent, don?t worry.

Stop the misdirected anger.

Big Al
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 07:03 PM
Touche'!

Hurray for Big Al!

I just started watching this board three days ago, and have NEVER heard such sniveling about the "Evil Americano's".

Ski, get over IT, and YOURSELF!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 07:50 PM
Education

"An environmental inspector, think again. Mexican pollution is born from Mexicans in general. This generalization is true: Americans are far more conscientious about picking up their trash than Mexicans. Take a look along the highways, watch as Mexicans, without thinking, casually let trash fall from the hands without thinking about. It is sad, but the Mexicans are the ones polluting their land air and water not us gringos. This is true because the environment is not a priority to them, putting food on the table, fixing a broken car or stopping the leaky roof, these are priorities."

Which is why we are spending so much time educating these guys. And it has been extremely productive as well because of their desire for tourism.
I have watched many Mexican friends drink their beers and break their bottles. I didn't feel it was my right to say anything then but now, through my speaking to them directly about these issues, has produced some pretty amazing results as many of you who know Baja are soon to discover.
One of the issues I am dealing with with the agencies is an overall trash cleanup project for all of the Pueblos and Ranchos.
Mexicans are not stupid by any means. The majority of them are now well aware of their environment and what it means to keep it clean and preserve it prior to it's destruction. You are very right about the past but this is now.
My argument to them is that tourists don't want to see trash. They want to promote tourism. Simple as that. There are now many clean areas that were dirty when I first arrived. This is happening everywhere. And, it will continue to happen until the peninsula stays clean.
There are many factors involved with this program but suffice it to say, they are working.
And when I moved to California, I used to play at Tin Can Beach which was named appropriately. And I don't think the Mexicans drove all that way to dump their trash.
That wasn't really all that long ago that California looked exactly the same as trashy Baja. But we learned about keeping it clean at the expense of fines.
Baja has the advantage of being populated by truly caring individuals who don't need to have fines placed on them to see the beneficial impact of a clean environment. This is why we will see a steady decrease in the amount of litter, graffitti, and other unnatural do do in a short period of time comparatively speaking. Like 2-3 years. Wish me luck if you care.
I seem to generalize constantly and I don't mean to. I only know the Baja Peninsula and not mainland Mexico so let me specify that these are the states I am dealing with and it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone other than the people of Baja.
I also realize that many of the people here are not from here but came here to get work. It is the job of the locals and their employers to educate these people about these issues. It is my job to bring up these things when I find Budweiser and Coors cans out in the middle of nowhere. To whomever I think is responsible. After a little research, I narrowed this trash down to one country.
I don't spend much time in the cities so I probably do have a biased opinion of the Mexicans. They are great people. Same as the ones out in the country in the U.S. And no offense intended but there seems to be a more laid back attitude from the country folks. No matter what country you are in.
And I didn't start this to make comparisons. I started it because I am trying to bring to light some things that need to be fixed. And if any of you agree, get busy the next time you are down here. b-tch, moan, call me names or whatever floats yer boats but pick up the trash , whether it's yours or not.
Is it offensive to you to be told the same things as the Mexicans? Or will you just be "too busy" or "it's not my problem".

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 08:11 PM

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding but only in disclosing what is on his mind.

Proverbs 18:2
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 09:14 PM
Pat yourself on the back! Twice!

I am glad we have this fountain of knowledge available to us. Maybe we could name it after that famous landmark at the end of the road on Punta Banda. Please, please start the stupid gringo column. Think of all the space that has been already dedicated to the vilification of idiot turistas, it's obviously a very desirable topic to, oh, I don't know, one, maybe two savants. I know it makes me laugh like hell. It's better than the editorial page :saint:
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 09:21 PM
Ski

Ski:

It is not offensive to be told the same things that you tell Mexicans. But you blaming the whole USA is, when Mexico is the source of the vast majority of the problem. And quite frankly it isn't my problem, but that doesn't mean I don't do my share to help. good luck with your 2-3 year mission it is noble but very unrealistic. Most Mexicans don't care about litter, that is why it flys out of their car windows or over the side of the boat. They do care about money, and you explaining to them the economic results of litter may open their eyes, one by one.

Big Al

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by Big Al]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.