Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja show on KCET tonight
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 10:59 AM
Baja show on KCET tonight

I have seen this show and the guy can't pronounce San Quintin correctly and sort of irritates me in general, but if you haven't seen it you might enjoy it. Tonight on KCET.
This show is on tonight on channel 28 at 8.

Globe Trekker: Baja California & the Copper Canyon

http://www.pilotguides.com/tv_shows/globe_trekker/shows/cent...

Presenter: Ian Wright

Intrepid traveller Ian Wright begins his journey down the peninsular of Baja California in the border town of Tijuana. This is the place where hundreds of thousands of Mexicans risk their lives every year attempting to cross into the United States. Ian is challenged to run through no-man's land and having survived the armed air and land patrol he begins hitching south on Baja's only highway.

After miles of uninterrupted cacti, Ian has a sea-spray shower at one of the world's best blowholes, and then ends the first part of his adventure at San Quintin - a typical Baja one-horse town. The only accommodation available in San Quintin is a faded hotel originally built for Hollywood stars.

After a short stop in the beautiful Bahia de Los Angeles, where travellers sleep in huts on the beach Ian continues south on the back of a motorbike, through more desert landscapes to the mission oasis of San Ignacio. Here the over zealous religious imperialism of the Catholic missionaries is evident: the cemetery holds the remains of the indigenous people who refused to convert.

One of the highlights of Ian's journey is a whale watching trip with two local fishermen in Mulege. Not content with simply swimming around the tiny boat, the whales actually come close enough for Ian to touch them.

Ian also goes in searches of the perfect beach, experiences a true ranchero style dance - complete with a hangover the following morning, and enters into the spirit of a wild and hedonistic carnival at La Paz on Baja's southern tip.

The last part of Ian's journey involves a ferry ride east across the Sea of Cortez to mainland Mexico, where he ventures into the stunning Copper Canyon.

Here he meets real cowboys who give him very useful lessons on picking up senoritas. Finally, Ian climbs high into the mountains where he is privy to an ancient ceremony of the cave dwelling Tarahumara Indians - the ritualistic killing of a goat - something which has rarely been witnessed before by a white person.
BigAl

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 12:39 PM

Ian's a c-ckney-- he is genetically programmed to butcher the language, but he has a great travel show. He doesn't do the tourist hangouts--he loves to mix with the natives. I've seen that show a couple of times in the past, and it's worth watching.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 01:10 PM

There's a funny scene where Ian, sitting on a bed at Cielito Lindo observes that "It smells like someone cut the cheese in here"! :lol::lol: He must have got booked in my old room!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:18 PM
It can be entertaining.

I have this tape from probably 1998 when it first aired. Coincidentally, my cousin taped it the day before we left for Laguna San Ignacio where we met Pacheco.
The guy (Ian) is kind of dorkey but that's ok. In spite of the way he pronounces San Quintin, anything about Baja interests me.

[Edited on 1-8-2004 by Ski Baja]

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 02:25 PM
Pacheco

New Years Dinner at Laguna San Ignacio 1998

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 06:28 PM
My 2 cetavos

this show sucks,if you want to get your Baja fix get Fun Driving Baja by Rick Roessler,that's the Baja we all love,2 hours of the real Baja......enjoy

I hear the whales song
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 09:42 AM

B'grouper - any hints on where to find said video? I'd love to see it.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 11:36 AM
globe trekker review?

I'm looking into finding that # for Fun Driving Baja for you,any reviews on that trekker program on Baja last night?

I hear the whales song
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 12:31 PM
Last night Trekker

I watched it again last night even though I have the tape. For some reason, I enjoyed it more last night than my prior viewings. One of the reasons was the comments made by some on here before I watched the show. "c-ckney, etc".
I paid a little closer attention to the Dork and realised he may not be so bad after all. And, in spite of his idiosyncrasies (in my opinion), he was invited to many places that won't ordinarily put up with an idiot. So my guess is, he is probably an ok guy.
One thing for sure, his cameraman got some great shots and that's what I like to see.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 02:51 PM

worth the viewing i thought.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.