BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Loreto Marine Park fee is now official!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:33 PM
Loreto Marine Park fee is now official!

The 20 peso per person per day fee to use the marine park in any way shap or form has been made official and announced today.
In the past fishing has been exempt from this fee and last year only a handful of operators have been urged to pay it by the Marine Park. Since my shop is one block from the Marine Park office, you can guess that I have been one of those urged to buy them. I did and got around charging each day with some loopholes, so I did not pass the charges to my clients. Well that day is no more. We will be automatically adding the fee to our clients iteneraries from now on.

Expect to have to pay an additional 20 pesos (about $2) per person, per day to fish out of Loreto now. If your travel agent/ tour operator/ panguero/ whatever, doesn't charge this and provide the tickets, they should. You won't want to be caught without them if they check- could be ugly- like being caught without a fishing license.

That's the breaks, I'm only reporting what's going on.

Pam Bolles
http://www.bajabigfish.com
http://www.loretoreport.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:36 PM

Do you know the person who is Charged with the enforcement of this Fee?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 03:47 PM
Say what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Do you know the person who is Charged with the enforcement of this Fee?

I think the answer you're looking for is the Marine Park Staff and Administrators. They ride around in a boat looking for folks who are using the park and ask to see the proof of "derechos pagado" (paid fees) to use the park in the form of tickets. They visit the beaches, the islands, the launch ramps and they have a boat just about a mile offshore of the downtown marina and puerto escondido and the nopolo area. Are they checking/enforcing? The answer is YES. So you have to pay? I don't care what you do, you decide. As far as my sending paying clients out there, I don't want to rish them being checked and not having the tickets. They pay good money to be here and come a long way. Why would I want to jepordize theri good time?

Pam
GordoyFeo

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 06:36 PM

Are there weekly, monthly or annual fee rates or talk of implementation of such rates?
Thanks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 07:59 PM

How is it determined the Location of where the fish is taken?
Say the Fish was taken beyond the 25 mile?
Fish was taken at the island on the otherside of Monserete?
It appears that there will be some Clearfication necessary. Thank you for your report.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 07:21 AM

Pam is doing the correct thing for her clients. This information was important.

20 pesos is only $1.80 a day.

Don't fight the wave. If you travel in the marine park, pay the fee and stay legal.

It isn't worth the hassel.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Juan
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life is good.

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 08:33 AM
Park tickets

Hi Pam, Thanks for the heads up. I think your notice about the park tickets will be appreciated by most visitors. Better to be advised ahead of time rather than surprised when you get there.
estrella de mar

Mood: spicy!

shocked.gif posted on 1-9-2004 at 08:42 AM
Latte! two bucks!

Boy oh boy,

listening to the few-mostly negative- comments about a buck eighty a day fee only supports the idea that Norte Americanos just want to come to Baja to use the resources and not give anything back to the people or the Sea. Consider that the establishment of the marine park is far and away a better deal than the unregulated free for all it has been.

Estrella de mar

LORETO MARINE PARK

PARK BOUNDARIES MAP
The Loreto community is devoting itself to beautification and excitement this year in celebration of the tri-centennial, but is also pioneering a unique way of assisting the Mexican government in long-term management of their all important Sea of Cort?s fishery. The local economy is heavily dependent upon both sport and commercial fishing. Success of this locally generated initiative will provide a landmark example for other communities to follow.

Due to the diligent efforts of the Loreto community, the National Loreto Marine Park was created by a Presidential Decree and approved by the Mexican Federal Congress in July, 1996. Creation of regulations from which to manage the park and support for that management was left to the people of Loreto to develop. That task has been taken on by the local ecological organization, Grupo Ecologista Antares (GEA). The prestigious United States based Nature Conservancy has been working closely with GEA to develop ways to support the unbudgeted, unstaffed Park Director appointed by SEMARNAP, the national environmental agency. That Director, Biologist Benito Bermudez Almada, will be housed in the Loreto area to take charge of the park's administration. He will be sponsored by the Nature Conservancy for university training in the United States on protected area management.

With Nature Conservancy assistance, which will include participation by several large international conservation groups, including Baja Life Magazine, an enforcement system to control illegal fishing will be developed. Ultimately, it is expected that trawlers will be excluded and gill net fishing will be restricted to a level that the fishery can maintain. The goal is to restore the Loreto fishery to the productivity levels of former times.

The first step to support Sr. Bermudez has been the establishment of the Loreto Marine Park Visitor's Center that will house a biologist and other GEA staff people. Perhaps the most important function of this center will be to develop displays depicting park resources, problems and necessary actions to restore the fishery. It will serve as a focal point for local people, particularly students, as well as interested tourists.

The Vagabundos del Mar Boat and Travel Club is committed to providing the rent of the building for the first year, working through the Nature Conservancy. Contributions made by Club members to the Chet Sherman Memorial Fund, following Chet's untimely passing last fall, will be used. In addition, the Club has matched contributions to the Fund, thereby doubling its size, and is seeking matching funds from foundations to further help restore fish populations through effective management of the Loreto Marine Park. Tax-deductible donations are being accepted by the Vagabundos del Mar, 190 Main Street, Rio Vista, CA 94571. Tel: 800-474-BAJA

Or you may contact them through their website at: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/VAGS/

Baja Life Magazine supports the protection and management of Loreto Marine Park. As a means to provide information to all interested parties, our staff at Baja Life Online has established and funded a website at: www.loreto.com/protect/ to continually update all our concerned readers of the progress being made to establish a long-term management program for the Sea of Cort?s.

Please visit our site often and give us your valuable input.
Loreto Tourism Office
Email: fomixlor@lapaz.cromwell.com.mx

:saint:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 1-9-2004 at 09:01 AM
Pan Question

Pam,
What is the status for park usage if you are a resident of Loreto, or carry your FM-3 with you. I seem to understand that residents and mexican nationals were exempt form this fee.
By the way, I register my boat with the park office each year to get an annual permit for the park (about $26us). So I want to support the efforts of the "rangers" to continue the education process they have begun.:spingrin:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 10:24 AM

Is fishing allowed inside the Park?

What is the limit on
Yellowtail
Dolphinfish
Pargo
Sierra ?

Do the park Enforcement officers enforce the Limit or is it turned over to the Pesca enforcement?

Is there anything known about this or will it turn out to be the Miltary on the big Grey Boats boarding all Pangas with American Fishermen?

Will enforcement of the Park Fee be done at the Boat Ramp or in the Water?

Will this enforcement and Fee be applied at the Port Esconido? Will there be enforcement there?

It would be much better for First time users to be handed an Instruction Sheet with All the answers so that there would be no Hassles.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
It would be much better for First time users to be handed an Instruction Sheet with All the answers so that there would be no Hassles.

Life would be much better that way, also... but that's not the way it's done.:lol:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 06:00 PM

I've actually purchased one of these permits, over two years ago. I bought one at the office at the marina. The official was totally unprepared, had no cash box and no change. I had to come back later when I had exact change. Since then, I haven't been back.

It's not about "$1.80 a day."

Do I need a park license to fish the beaches or marina at 5:30 AM? If so, will the office be open then, or must I plan these spur of the moment trips in advance? Will I get a credit or refund if the wind is blowing?

So the wind drops and and we want to take our boat or kayak out. Do we have to wait for the office to open? Will it open before the wind kicks up? Oops, it's a great day to go out, but it's Sunday and the office is closed!

Daily permits only work for those who visit and book local guide services, who can provide the passes for their scheduled trips.

I support a marine park at Loreto, with reasonable access and use allowed. I support a disciplined, well organized work force to manage the park, as well as a well thought out, manageable fee structure to support the park.

So far I don't see much organization here, just confusion.

A daily fee is simply impractical for residents or long term visitors, and can only work to restrict their access to the park. And I find suggestions that those with FM3 status be exempt is akin to freeloading.

So maybe when I get back down there (soon, I hope) someone at one of the two park offices will be able to answer this simple, easy and essential question: How much for an annual individual permit that will allow us to fish, kayak, boat, swim, whatever?

Don
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 07:30 PM

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Confucious :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 11:51 AM
Its $2 folks lighten up!

So many questions so little time. You can check my website under fish report on the latest.....

...actually I'll be posting that at about 2:00 PM MST todau (Saturday).

also there's some very good questions at allcoastsportfishing.com (The Allcoast board) Pure anglers there with good questions and I don't remember any whining.

some brief answers to some questions that stuck in my head after reading the thread:

No there is no annual fee as of yet, its daily, but I'll inquire about this. Also they do not distinguish local gringo from gringo tourist. I also need to investigate that. I asked the man who delivered the announcement to me but he didn't know. Was just a worker. As far as the Mexican law reads, it means everyone and anyone, gringo, tourist, local AND mexican. This is a national park and there is a fee to use it, Just like there's a fee to use Yosemite and Yellowstone. I've been to both and I'm an American citizen but I had to pay to enter just like foreign tourists do. Make your own conclusion....

Two years ago the fee was 50 pesos and that was when the dollar was about 8 to one so someone who posted previously, doesn't remember what permit he purchased. True that the marine park didn't have their act together -THEN- but they sure do now. More personnel, more equipment and apparently an increased budget to work with. You just watch, they're determined. And I sure hope their efforts will be felt here and benefit this place in the long run.

I run a professional operation and I am personally responsible for adhering to the rules. If one disagrees they can fish with another outfitter and take their own risk. And if one doesn't want to pay a additional $2 per day charge, we probably wouldn't work well for you anyway. We charge the park fee and get the tickets before clients arrive. They check in their first day (arrival date) and receive their fishing licenses and tickets and are welcome to an open question forum. We've done nothing but grow in our seven and a half years in business.

Do tickets get refunded if the weather is foul, etc. ? C'mon what kind of question is that. re-read all that commenbtary (above) and think about it. If you go ski-ing and pre pay for the lift ticket and the day passes and a blizzard hits- you DO NOT receive a refund. I can refund services that were never rendered on my part due to weather cancelations but I cannot refund dated documents that are required by the government. Do you get your launch ramp fee back if you launch somewhere and turn back due to foul weather in the US?? Answer is NO. correct? same goes in this case.

The Loreto Marine Park boundries encompass all of our islands, the loreto marina, the nopolo launchramp and puerto escondido. If you go beyond the limits of the park and catch fish, same rules apply because you traversed park waters to get there. Catch limits are the same as sportfishing limits everywhere else in Mexico and those bag limits are well-known and publicized. There are a few areas that are off limits to fishing of any kind and they are well marked. When you receive your permit to take out anglers as a commercial operation, or a permit to operate a private boat they give you a map. They also provide literature in English for us gringos.

I think I pretty much covered all the issues with this. I want to add that I'm reporting the happenings, I'm not saying I like or agree with it, only that we must follow it. I thought the original post was the kind of information that folks who come to this board could use. It certainly has an impact on those who come here to visit or even live.

Fly Fishin' Pam
my report (later today) http://www.bajabigfish.com/fish_report.html
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 11:56 AM
A couple more responses to good questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

Do I need a park license to fish the beaches or marina at 5:30 AM? If so, will the office be open then, or must I plan these spur of the moment trips in advance?

It is your responsibility to purchase the tickets in advance of your outing. Exactly the same applies in the case of fishing licenses.

Quote:

Daily permits only work for those who visit and book local guide services, who can provide the passes for their scheduled trips.

Thanks for mentioning this and yes it is true and a big hassle. Perhaps I see another little side venture from my downtown shop....I sell fishing licenses online and they can be picked or delivered here in Loreto, so now why not park tickets! Ingenious! I'llmark them up one dollar!

Fly Fishin' Pam
:biggrin:
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
I thought the original post was the kind of information that folks who come to this board could use...

Fly Fishin' Pam
my report (later today) http://www.bajabigfish.com/fish_report.html

Yes! Thank You!:D
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:49 PM

A Report well Done
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 02:30 PM
This will chap ya off

I would make the entire Sea of Cortez a National Park. Charge $500 a year for unlimited launching. $100 for a Month permit. $50 for a week or $10 a day. Use the money to develop a real ranger enforcement type system, along with eco tourism. Charge people to enter the park system by land sea or air. Fine poachers, fine boat owners if they break park rules. Require boats to run clean and smog check every vehicle as it enters the park. Check lugage for weapons of mass distruction. and finially charge $8 bucks for a beer, like they do at the Rum Jungle in Vegas. Sorry I was on a roll. But I do think the National Park idea was ok:cool:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 02:33 PM
The full report is now online

I posted the report on the Marine Park fee on my website in both the fly fishing and the conventional fishing reports. There are images of the tickets and park limits as well as a copy of the front page of the announcement letter.

Again, I hope this helps and I sure hope to see improvements here on the part of the park staff.

check out the reports at http://www.bajabigfish.com then click onto the link to "Fish Report" choose your method from there. Hey no fishing going on here with the full moon and/or the wind but at least theres SOME news!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 02:36 PM
Egads...

I thought I logged in. That was my anon post in case you didn't guess.

I like Sonora Winds proposal for an unlimited use fee for the Sea of Cortez. Makes sense, but I'm sure glad I don't have to pay $8 for a beer!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.