BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay Sidetrips Part 1 (by David K)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-3-2002 at 12:08 AM
Gonzaga Bay Sidetrips Part 1 (by David K)

David K has asked if I would post this/these for him:
--

My Thanksgiving week vacation with my 13 year old son Chris began Tuesday afternoon. Daughter Sarah was spending the holiday with her mom.

We crossed the border about 5:00pm and were in Ensenada in no time at all. Lobster dinner at Las Cazuelas (expensive and not that good), but it was good father and son time! We were off to San Quintin where it started to rain, and got to Gypsy's indoor camping building at 10 o'clock.

It rained all night, but we stayed dry. Laura's awesome breakfast burrito and hot coffee for a good start, Chris wasn't hungry. The rain stayed with us until San Agustin. We saw a semi wreck in the boojum hills... those truckers just can't slow down enough.

Past Catavina, we pulled over as Chris was finally hungry for a bowl of Captain Crunch... I hiked a bit among the boojum trees.

FYI: no more military stop at El Rosario Mesa or past Santa Ynez's driveway (Catavina).

The day remained cloudy, but dry after San Agustin. We left the pavement at Laguna Chapala and headed for Coco's Corner. The graded dirt road started excellent and 55 mph was easy. As we neared Coco's Corner, the conditions required slowing to 40 something.

Coco was in Ensenada, but an amigo was minding the store in his absence. I signed the guest book and saw Coco's sketch of jeans and I, from my last visit on Jan. 2, 2002.

Here we took Chris's dirt bike (Kawasaki 110) off my truck so he could start to ride... he was so anxious for this part! We both zipped along about 40 mph to our first side trip: The Green Pools!

Located in La Turquesa Canyon, 2.7 miles west from the main road, I last visited them in 1975. A turquoise mine is located a mile further up the canyon. This is also the bottom of Kacey Smith's XR Motorcycle GPS ride up to Highway One... also called 'Coco's Shortcut'!

The pools were photographed by Wayno recently (http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/wayno).

The turnoff to La Turquesa Canyon is 2.4 miles north of the abandoned ranch at Las Arrastras, north of Coco's, at N29?34.347' W114?21.943' (NAD27). The end of the road at the pools is at N29?33.716' W114?23.890'.

We returned to the main road and headed to Alfonsina's, on Gonzaga Bay.

TO BE CONTINUED...

--------------------
http://DavidKsBaja.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.