Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cement mixer to baja
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:27 PM
cement mixer to baja

I was wondering if anyone has taken a tow behind cement mixer or other large tool across the border and what it takes to do it? Can you just drive thru or go to declare? What would you tell them? do you have to import it?
Thanks Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2007 at 09:40 PM

I pulled mine through but it was so well worn, it looked like I was towing a rock. No duty but, it was a shallow victory.
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 03:24 AM

Helped my brother take one down last year. We broke it down and the white plastic barrel made a nice bait tank in my boat when we crossed.:biggrin:

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 03:47 AM

why you bringing a cement mixer? how about, Juan, Martin, Joel?

they could use the work....

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:31 AM

There are a lot of places that sell pretty decent mixers here. If the immigration guys come around with an attitude you'll want to have some locals working with you. They use to stop work until you either paid the fines or got your papers in order or both. Good luck. Sounds like you're about t have some fun!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 07:37 AM

import it in the declare lane...
don't risk the problems...
if you don't like the price, turn around and drive back

17-24% of "their" appraised value unless it says...
"made in china" then...

watch out!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 09:14 AM

If its a towable type that is used then just make a simple reciept on a simple paper pricing it fairly for what you would think is a good deal. Go through the declaration lane for sure. I have an older mixer that works great and I think it's worth about $500. You'll pay about $50 duty and your through. End of story.

It's funny how people chime in here and suggest purchasing items in Mexico instead of bringing your own....The declaration lane does one thing, process your goods into Mexico. I have never had a problem bringing anything across the legal way.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 10:59 AM

Warrior... We/I "chime in" to be helpful. Things happen in route and it maybe less trouble and less expensive to purchase locally. If you tow it you'll need to add it to your insurance policy or it may be void if something happens on the way down.

[Edited on by Russ]

[Edited on 2-4-2007 by Russ]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 11:12 AM
Simply Declare

I've brought Two Mixers down over the years. I have a friend in Gonzaga who has brought down more. Both of mine I disassembled and brought down in a trailer, mostly because I didn't like the idea of towing a long distance at highway speeds on those little tires. The first time was in the "Good old Days" prior to Customs Declaration and I paid ten bucks on the spot The second I declared at $500. USA production, it was taxed at 17 %.
No Problem.

As far as buying locally, Good Used Cement Mixers from the US seem to be one of the items most desired by locals, so I'm not sure how well the local option would work out. It's probably worth a look around.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 11:16 AM
Cement mixer

My husband and I brought a very used barrel mixer with electric motor across in December, along with other building supplies. We tried to cross in the declare lane at the Tijuana garita with a complete declaration list. They didn't have any problem with the new jacuzzi tub, satellite dish, generator, underground utility supplies, etc., but simply would not let the cement mixer in at that port of entry.
The Mexican Aduana agents said we had to import it via Otay Mesa, using a broker. :rolleyes:

They handily yanked the gate open and sent us back to the US.

We drove over to Otay Mesa and had to hire a Broker. All the building supplies in our pick up were thoroughly examined by the Broker's agent (who mentioned twice that because of so few clients, he couldn't afford to buy a Christmas turkey for his family) and we had some paperwork in hand after about an hour.

The "Licenciada" who was running the show that day for Aduana was polite and professional and accepted my declaration page without questioning the declared value of all my building supplies. She explained that the "Mezclador" had to be formally imported into the country.

I happily paid around $230.00 for the entire run around ($160.00 to the Brokers, and $70.00 to Hacienda) and tipped the Broker's agent $20 bucks for his turkey.

I say "happily" because they never asked me to open my Hi-Lo Trailer, which was stuffed to the gunwales with food, gifts, used clothes and all sorts of other goodies, including hardwood for the cabinets and trim in the new Loreto house.

$250.00 US seemed like a deal at that point!! :dudette:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 11:30 AM
Liberal License

This is going to be another one of those posts that explore the "Adjustable" Bureaucracy in Mexico. A wide variety of experience, all true, that reflect the lack of absolute standards encountered.

It's one of the contrasts with the USA that I love most about Mexico. In the US, the average guy has little opportunity to participate in sanctioned corruption.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 12:26 PM

Yeah, I chime in too, hope no offense is taken. I believe that Mick is just asking how to get HIS mixer as I would want to MY mixer down to my beach house. The suggestion of "getting it there" sounds like a wild goose chase to me. I personally don't have the time to shop there so I bring EVERYTHING in but the beer and Kahlua(I have even had difficulty obtaining those). We are either working on our house or playing when down for the weekend.

And yes, I would either dissasemble my mixer or simply haul it aboard my flatbed trailer even though I upgraded the axle and wheels to a larger size years ago. The smaller barrel type are handy but there is nothing like mixing more cement when you have a larger pour.

Sounds like as usual everyone has a differant story, as I did with my experiances. But so far so good for me and my crossings, hope my luck doesn't run out!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 12:59 PM

I'm with MrBillM.:bounce:Those "little" tires aren't designed for long- distance hauls.:bounce:
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 12:59 PM
MrBillM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

It's one of the contrasts with the USA that I love most about Mexico. In the US, the average guy has little opportunity to participate in sanctioned corruption.

You can say that again. Viva Mexico!!;D
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 08:45 PM

thanks guys. I have an older one that I wanted to take down to a friend (Mexican) that built my house. He needed it for parts. Sorry to cause just one more disigreement on this board.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 09:18 PM

no disigreement here:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.