Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jesuit church in Puebla
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 03:17 AM
Jesuit church in Puebla

I visited Puebla and Morelos two weeks ago. I was in the Hotel Colonial in Puebla for one night. The hotel occupies what was several hundred years ago a large structure that was a part of the Jesuit convent in the city. I am attaching a photo of the Jesuit church, which gives an indication of the wealth of the Jesuits. The church is located a block from the Zocalo.

010_7.JPG - 36kB
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 03:20 AM
Puebla

I visited a number of sixteenth-century fortress convents in Puebla and Morelos. I am attaching a photo of Tochimilco. These convents were established in Indian communities to serve as centers of conversion. The missionary orders gained experience and pioneered conversion techniques later applied in frontier areas such as Baja California.

Tochimilco.jpg - 42kB
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 03:22 AM
Cacaxtla, Tlaxcala

Also visited Cacaxtla, a fortified city located in Tlaxcala which dates to around 900-1,000 ad. The site preserves the finest murals in Mexico.

Mural.jpg - 21kB
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2007 at 06:52 PM

What IS that last one, Robert?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2007 at 02:54 PM
Cacaxtla, Tlaxcala

Mural at a 10th century site called Cacaxtla in Tlaxcala, not too far from Puebla.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2007 at 07:08 PM

Interesting, particularly the use of blue.

Thanks!

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-21-2007 at 07:12 PM

Hope you're eating well in Puebla. Maybe not church/mission/Baja related and maybe belonging to a cuisine forum, but just an interesting tidbit: Puebla is known for over 800 dessert recipes, let alone mole poblano and all the other "poblana/o" entrees. A far cry indeed from the toned down Border/Sonoran crap we have come to accept as "Mexican Food" in the U.S.

BTW, as you have no doubt noticed by now, Tlaxcala is known for beautiful women, particularly redheads. French blood they say, deserters from Ole Max's army.

[Edited on 2-22-2007 by Oso]

[Edited on 2-22-2007 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 05:15 PM
Back in DC

Actually, I am back in DC. Do like cemitas in Puebla.
BajaMitch

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 05:59 PM

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I have to go down and check it out.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 08:26 AM
Puebla, etc

There is quite a bit to see, and numerous historic sites. Well worth the time.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 08:30 PM
Much to see, for sure!

Quote:
Originally posted by academicanarchist

It is truly a beautiful city,
we too stayed downtown at the "convent hotel" and found it so rustic, comfortable, and close to all the centro...
Puebla is very easy to get to- just fly into the DF Aeropuerto, and take the aircon bus direct from the airport curb to downtown Puebla, 2 hours, comfortable ride, about 12 bucks, US.
And yes, it has history, the site of the famed "Cinco de Mayo" battle.....
best I can tell Mexico celebrates this event because it was a battle that they did not lose as badly as most other battles.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:
Originally posted by academicanarchist

It is truly a beautiful city,
we too stayed downtown at the "convent hotel" and found it so rustic, comfortable, and close to all the centro...
Puebla is very easy to get to- just fly into the DF Aeropuerto, and take the aircon bus direct from the airport curb to downtown Puebla, 2 hours, comfortable ride, about 12 bucks, US.
And yes, it has history, the site of the famed "Cinco de Mayo" battle.....
best I can tell Mexico celebrates this event because it was a battle that they did not lose as badly as most other battles.

I like Puebla as well! Stayed in the Hotel Colonial as well. Great place.. Room size/type varries so its good to check out a few.

The bus from the airport in DF to Puebla is the way to go for sure. CAPO (the bus station in Puebla) is almost a sight to see itself, as it is one of the largest in all of Mexico.

Many people don't know that Puebla is also home to a railroad musem with many cars and engines on display that you can climb on/in. Interesting if you like trains; but, it was still "under construction" and more like a rail junkyard in reality several years ago when I was there last.

Tlaxcala is nice too. Pretty area/mountains. Also worth checking out is Cholula; about 15-20 minutes from Puebla. It is home to the largest pyramid in the world (by volume) that you can climb around inside, etc.. nice town for a day trip from Puebla.

Downtown Puebla:
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 04:22 AM
Puebla

Drove past the railroad museum on the last visit to Puebla, and Cholula is very interesting as well. The convent of San Gabriel right off of the main square in Cholula is an interesting church as well that dates to the 16th century. I would have to say that Puebla is one of my favorite cities in Mexico.

There is an interesting connection between Texasd and the Battle of Puebla, that took place on May 5, 1862. The Mexican commander at the battle Ignacion Zaragosa was born at the presidio of Espiritu Santo (modern Goliad, Texas) where his father was the commander.

IMG012.JPG - 17kB
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 04:27 AM
Huejotzingo

Not too far from Puebla, and fairly close to the Puebla airport, is Huejotzingo, with one of the most important 16th century convents. It is also known for production of Sidra, apple cider which is very tasty.

IMG026.JPG - 29kB
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 10:26 AM
Cholula Pyramid

Cholula Pyramid.jpg - 25kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.