Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I learned a new word tonight
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 10:33 PM
I learned a new word tonight

"Aerosol Art". I was wondering how many of you think a graffitti removal program would work in Baja. (Specific areas) like Catavi?a for starters?
And my next question will be, If I were to have a Graffitti removal party weekend sometime, how many of you would be interested and able to contribute?

The reasons I am asking is that (some) of the Mexicans feel it is a wasted cause because it can be repainted a lot faster than removing it.
On the other hand, education of the locals, some signs and possible punishments are possible to at least slow down these " Aerosol Artists" and make them think before they paint.
I have mentioned this before and I apologize for repeating myself to those who will take issue with my repetition.
This is one of the BSAR projects and it has been discussed at length with the environmental agencies down here.
I would first like to hear the input from you guys before trying to make plans with them. I think it would be a great "joint effort" project.
Believe it or not guys, I told them that when I mentioned it before, I had a pretty good response from the gringo side and these boards. (All of us!).
Anyways, you are more than willing to share your feelings with me on the other posts, let's see what this one provides.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 11:44 PM

As a foreigner I have no business imposing my values or trying to change anything in another country. What they do is none of my business.

It would be very arrogant of me to think I should come in to clean up and tell them what they should, or should not do.

I heard that here...from who?
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 11:47 PM
Unless

you are doing something for the betterment of all. Maybe you should re-read.

Chris Holmstead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:03 AM
Rock art

I kind of like it through the boulderfields, it's like a mobile avantgard exhibit with the weird Gaudaloupe shrine as the center piece.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
you are doing something for the betterment of all. Maybe you should re-read.

I've read enough of you to know what a hypocrite you are. You complain about the scientists exploring in the back country then you find a bone and ask for the help of a expert. You rail against someone here who expresses an opinion about something the see in Mexico that is not like home and you jump right in telling them they have no business messing with anything Mexican (even if they have the same "for the betterment of mankind" mushy sentimentality).

Now you are trying to organize a bunch of gringos, that you have shown open contempt for, to go into a foreign country to show them Mexicans how to take care of their countryside.

I guess we just need your stamp of approval before we do anything or say anything in Baja.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 08:46 AM
Now your catching on

How do those Huaraches feel? And tryimg to organize a bunch of gringos HA. Perhaps if you clowns learned how to read and understand what you are reading, you wouldn't be so stupid.
This statement does not apply to everyone on this board by the way. But it most certainly applies to some.
PS marooon, the difference being that those bones are still in that cave where they belong.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by Ski Baja]

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 11:35 AM

La Paz did good as long as the Commandant gave each Tagger 3 months in Jail with no Pay-out and No Visits from Family members then a new Chief came in who was an Appeaser!!Still not to bad compared to other places.

Catavina:Pay one of Oscars friends to watch the location in company of a good weapon{12 Ga. Shotgun} Shoot the first one there and leave his body to be devored by animals and observed by other Taggers.

"The Hand of Justice"

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 11:46 AM
Exactly

what the people of Catavi?a that will be helping with this project and I were discussing. Except the carcass would be one of the signs.:lol:

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:17 PM
I think its a great idea!

I don't get up that way very often and I haven't really spoken to people in Catavina except in passing through. I just hate to see the boulders de-faced of their original beauty.

who paints on these rocks in your opinion? gringos, distant locals?

I think its the latter one actually. And that only comes from what I've observed.

another thing that comes to my mind is baja-wide beach cleanup immdeiately after semana santa. that damage is not done by gringos. but if we can work together and educate each other it would only do good.

Fly fishin' Pam
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 12:31 PM
Hi Pam

You are correct, the majority is from the distant locals with some businesses and american stuff thrown in. There is a huge issue going on right now regarding some of the graffitti that I can't go into details about yet but, with some education, punishments and vigilance , it will pay off for everyone.
Although I have been spending the majority of my time in the mountains and discussing these issues with those folks, I have numerous friends with ranches near the coast and it has been discussed with them as well.
Because of the heightened awareness regarding the environment and the locals desire for tourism, I expect some major cleanup progress within a couple years.
The input and actual progress I have seen from the locals since the beginning of this program have amazed me. Perhaps it's how it is explained to them that makes a difference. Whatever the case, everyone is realizing the importance of a clean environment. Yippee !!!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 02:45 PM
I look at it like "turn the clock back about 35 years"

I was young in the seventies when the "pitch in" campaign was starting. I remember when it was commonplace to toss trash out of the car window in the US in certain areas. Then came the campaign that taught us to have respect for our environment, our surroundings and others that follow so that they can have to pleasure of enjoying the same pristine vistas you are seeing, sin basura. That's where I see us now here in Mexico. Its taking hold in some areas quicker than others but its changing. Just like it did in the US so many years ago. Education, example and time will prevail. I'm trying to set a good example to my kids and their friends- I wish I had time for more but right now its nose to the grindstone, or in my case keyboard and fly tying vise since there's no damn fish biting these days!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 04:02 PM
Me too

Except the locals here seem a lot more receptive to the idea and are already working on the problems as well as teaching their children--- or vice versa! These guys are smart and they realize that with a little effort and education, the peninsula will be a record breaker in cleanliness.
One step at a time though.
In spite of our disagreements re; development, we obviously have things in common. It would be a pleasure to meet you sometime when I am down there.
Keep on tyin fer when they are back ! J.R.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 04:08 PM

Besides the graffiti on those boulders, it appears someone is blowing them up. Seems each time I go through there are more shattered boulders by the road. What's up with that?
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 04:15 PM
I hadn't noticed Roberto

But when I go down there I will be taking pictures and talking to the locals. I will see what I can find out. If they are blowing them all up, I don't need to think about graffitti removal.:light:

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 06:58 PM
you learned two new words last night

Hola Ski,how do you remove the paint from the boulders?would it be sand blasting,paint removers or what?I hate seeing the "art work"also,but I don't know how you stop it...

P.S. Aerosol Art is two words...enjoy

I hear the whales song
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2004 at 09:27 PM
Duh !! Never was good with math.

So far, sandblasting is the only solution with out using solutions that coud harm the plants. Steel brushes don't work very well. Unfortunately, the Goof Off (paint removers) people don't recommend using any of their products . And water blasting is impractical in most areas.
I am looking into different sandblasting apparatus, both industrial and portable and trying to come up with the most efficient remedies for different circumstances.
All of the locals are game to help but after trying other methods, I think this may be the only feasable solution.
This means quite a bit of equipment but one step at a time and there will be success. Been looking into it for a long time as some of you know.
We have even thought of re painting with rock colored paint, having some professional muralists come in and many other (semi-ridiculous?) ideas.
So far, the sandblasting seems the easiest and most cost effective idea. Some of the Mexican agencies are willing to help, to what extent I have no idea but again, one step at a time.
And you stop it from happening with local awareness, signs, (not painted on the rocks), security and punishments. " Get a rope Manuel"! Just kidding for those that take issue with everything I say !
This is something that is happening and the awareness of people is being raised so that it doesn't continue to happen. Pretty basic stuff really. Edgeecation is an awesome thing aint it. How many words again ?

Qvanbruce
Junior Nomad

Mood: progressing (gracias a los nomads)

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 11:34 AM
de-graffitication de las piedras

While I'm very much in favor of keeping things as natural and pristine as possible, I feel the need to present another point of view. The graffiti, ugly as is is to most of us (myself included), is a temporary (in geologic terms) clue that will be used by future anthropologists to get a handle on what was up w/the planet back in "the good ol' days". And...When Exxon tried to clean their "graffiti" off the rocks in Prince William Sound, they made the situation muy mas mal. Soooo, Maybe just accepting that we all have different values, priorities, cultural imperatives, etc. and letting mother nature determine the cure for the mischief that we, her sometimes delinquent kids, create would be the best way to deal with it. No offense intended to those with other views.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 12:22 PM
Instant-Grattification Generation

Remember :lol:

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 12:32 PM
And by the way,

Oh Great !!! hahahahahahaha:P

ferdic1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 10:47 AM

What worries me about removing all the graffiti is that once the boulders are all nice and natural again, won't their blankness be irresistable to other who come by with spray cans in their vehicles?

They only got rid of rock graffiti in Texas Canyon, Arizona (I-10) when the government put up warning signs threatening criminal prosecution.

I don't mean to discourage you, though! Even if the boulders stayed clean for a few weeks or months only, it would please a lot of people to see them that way.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.