Author: Subject: Missing Sailor Search Expands to Mexico
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 11:43 AM
Missing Sailor Search Expands to Mexico

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2858029

Friends of Missing San Francisco Sailor Expand Search to Waters Off Mexico

By MARCUS WOHLSEN

SAN FRANCISCO Feb 7, 2007 (AP)— Friends of an acclaimed computer scientist who vanished at sea said Wednesday they were expanding their search for him to waters off Mexico, nearly a week after the Coast Guard called off its own search.

Colleagues of Jim Gray, 63, have been combing satellite images of Mexico's Baja California coast for any sign of the Microsoft engineer and his 40-foot yacht, Tenacious. They are also distributing posters of Gray and his boat at Mexican marinas.

"There were supplies on the boat and Jim's an able sailor," said friend Mike Olson. "It's entirely possible he could still be out there."

Gray, whose pioneering research on databases paved the way for innovations such as automated teller machines and online shopping, set out from San Francisco late last month to scatter his mother's ashes around the Farallon Islands, about 25 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The Coast Guard scoured some 132,000 square miles of the Pacific over four days without finding a trace of Gray or his boat. The agency looked as far south as the Channel Islands, just off Santa Barbara.

Weather and ocean-current data suggest that Gray likely would have traveled south, whether he sailed that direction or drifted, Olson said.

"The experts at the Coast Guard tell us we almost certainly would have seen debris if (Gray) went down," Olson said. "It's likely the boat's still above water."

Searchers are also using technology developed by online retailer Amazon.com to enlist more than 6,000 volunteers to examine about 100,000 digital photographs taken from space covering nearly 3,500 square miles of ocean.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 04:20 PM

Probably in Davy's locker. Microsoft has the means to scour every inch of ocean... in real time. My guess is a container or other large vessel got him.

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 05:35 PM

Tend to agree.... I have been following this news story from start, and unless I missed it, I have not read/heard any reason he would put his family in such pain if he where able to do otherwise.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 05:56 PM

How long has he been missing?
Was he single handing? If so, I would tend to agree with Dave. You have to sleep and those big guys cant see a 40 footer.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:14 PM

Since about Jan 28.

Here's a link on Latutude 38:

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2007/0107/Jan31/Jan31...

Definitely a seasoned guy. Odd that the EPIRB hasnt activated.

Could have been a peeed off grey whale, too. One sank a private boater off Morro Bay a few years back.

[Edited on 2-9-2007 by Hook]

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:38 PM

I also agree........I to have been folowing this story since the begining. You are just so vulnerable when singlehanding, especially a 40 ft. C~C fin keel design. So much large comercial shipping traffic near the approaches to S.F. Bay. It can get wild after dark with limmited visability and if you have electrical problems with runnng lights etc., etc....Things can deteriorate fast.There always is and can be the smallest of miracles. Lets pray he and his vessel will turn up unharmed.:rolleyes:
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:40 PM

>How long has he been missing?

Almost a couple of weeks.

>Was he single handing?

Yes

>You have to sleep and those big guys cant see a 40 footer.

He just went out to the Farallons for a daysail. Apparently the weather was good and clear.

It is very puzzling.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-8-2007 at 06:43 PM

Wouldnt you think there would be some wreckage if it was a large container ship? The search started pretty quick.

Very odd.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 03:25 PM

:?: Any NEWS ? Can't seem to find anything now. >f<

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 04:19 PM
Mexican navy helps in hunt for U.S. engineer

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/02/09/mexico.navy.ap/

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- The Mexican navy is aiding in the search off the country's Pacific coast for a Microsoft Corp. engineer who disappeared after sailing out of San Francisco, California, last month.

In a news release issued late Thursday, the department said it was offering its services "as part of its duties to protect human life on the seas."

The release did not say if either the U.S. government or friends of 63-year-old Jim Gray had requested the help. A Navy spokesman told The Associated Press on Friday that no additional information was available.

Gray, whose pioneering research on databases paved the way for innovations such as automated teller machines and online shopping, set out from San Francisco last month to scatter his mother's ashes around the Farallon Islands, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The U.S. Coast Guard called off its search after scouring about 132,000 square miles (342,000 square kilometers) of the Pacific over four days without finding a trace of Gray or his 40-foot (12-meter) yacht, Tenacious.

Gray's friends, including fellow engineers, have been combing satellite images of Mexico's Baja California coast for any sign of him. They also are distributing posters of Gray and his boat at Mexican marinas.

Gray's friend Mike Orson said weather and ocean-current data suggest that Gray likely would have either sailed or drifted south.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 04:54 PM

As for the container ship theory. I have seen them come into port with rigging dangling from the anchor. They never knew that they hit anything.
Very sad story. I hope that it has a happy ending but two weeks is a long time. The EPIRB certainly should have activated.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
The EPIRB certainly should have activated.

Depends on what category and where mounted.

A container ship could slice up a boat and send it to the bottom in less than 30 seconds.

This guy's toast.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 05:48 PM

this picture is off of the same Lat 38 page.

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2007/0107/Jan31/whale...

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 06:13 PM

Not so fast Dave.......He's only been missing 12 days so far. Granted..... the odds are not in his favor right now, but it is possible he could be bobbing along either in his life raft or on his disabled vessel and unable to send out any signals.Lots of times the Coast Gaurd has rightfuly given up on searchs for vessels and due to unpredictable current directions and wind force, vessels can turn up from Micronesia to Alaska to the Hawaiian Islands to Costa Rica, much to everyones total amazement months and months later sometimes with people aboard, and hanging on by the skin of their wits.This man is very clever and doing what most likley is his real passion in life and has a strong will to survive.Lets hope he turns up rescued and alive!!!.......and Minnow....... What about the poor whale?? Something sure wrecked his day!! He's gotta have a headache after that one!!:O
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 06:31 PM

That whale might have well as had "tenacious" written across his back>:(

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
This man... has a strong will to survive.
Actually, when he first disappeared, many thought this may not be the case since he had gone out to spread his mother's ashes at sea - an event that could have easily triggered any sort of unexpected emotions and impulsive reactions as a result of those emotions.

One can get VERY introspective when alone - and I'd imagine that's multiplied incredibly when alone on the ocean.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 01:41 PM

Thanks Doug.........For writing the unspeaksble. Yes--Personal introspection when all alone can rear its head in many forms.Lets hope he is found alive and well!!:biggrin:
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 04:54 PM

Jim Gray's sailing vessel Tenacious - from the San Francisco USCG web site:

http://www.uscgsanfrancisco.com/go/doc/823/143764/

tenacious.cg.jpg - 48kB

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 07:13 PM

Jeez, what a fugly plastic boat! :barf:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 06:51 AM

who's to say this wasn't a ruse to escape, disappear from all??
been done before.

my EPIRB won't go off unless I activate it manually. and it has internal GPS, tells rescue where it/I am constantly.

this is why i would never sail alone - no help, jeez the thot of a container ship eating you up without a care dead of night...........gives me the willies.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.