Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: La Sierra de San Francisco
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 11:15 AM

Fantastic Paula!! Wonderful report and outstanding photos from a magical part of Baja!!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 07:28 PM

Just a few more pictures for you:

Ramon set up a tap to dink or fill bottles from a clean spring coming out of the rocks.

Most of the paintings are in caves high on the canyon walls. Some are done on ceilings or overhangs.

Here is Carlos, relaxing after loading the burros and before hitting the trail.

And here is a trivia question. Who knows what is inside of this little building at Santa Teresa?

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 08:32 PM
just amazing

Paula thanks for the great report,just like some of the fellow nomads this trip is on my list next to whale watching at San Ignacio, thanks for the great report and pictures..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 10:01 PM

Wonderful travel log and great pics. Thanks.

Iflyfish
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 10:56 PM

Thanks for the report.

Hope to get up there some day soon.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 11:54 AM

Last chance onthe trivia question!!....

I'm posting the answer this evening...

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 01:57 PM

Outstanding photos and after viewing the paintings at San Borja and Montevideo, would very much like to visit this sight.
Does it take more than 1 day to get to the cave paintings. Can you only do it on horse back or walk. Lastly - if you don't mind, do you have to make reservations and what's the cost. Currently in BoLA and want to drive over there to sight see.
Many tks :spingrin::spingrin:

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 02:14 PM
Capturing history

That's what you did. Truly representative. I can image it gave you insight to the past present and future.
You are fortunate indeed! Spectacular images, thanx.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 02:43 PM

Bajalover,
You can look at Trudi Angell's website, tourbaja.com for information on her tours, or you can book your own guide by going through the INAH office in La Paz or San Ignacio. The Moon Guide to Baja has information on this way. Trudi's tours are wonderful-- meals, ambiance, good travel companions. You will save a little money going through INAH directly.
Law requires that all visitors to any cave art have a local guide. I think that if you go to San Ignacio early in the morning, you can arrange a guide, meet him in San Francisco, and go to the Cueva de Raton in a day. It is a short walk from the road. Better to plan 2 or more nights in the back country, the longer you stay, the more you see. If you aren't comfortable riding, you can hike. We met one couple (the only other people we saw in our 4 days out) who were hiking with a guide.

I hope you get over there, you'll enjoy it for sure!

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 07:36 PM

...And now the answer you've all been waiting for:lol::lol:....

if you look just above the fence, there is a wooden sign. The sign says:

coca cola.....................8p
agua purificada............8p
galletas.......................5p
sabritos.......................5p
tecate..........................11p

This mini-super has the best tecate in all of Baja!!!!!

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 12:07 AM

Bajalover, you can easily hike down, but you better be in shape to hike back up.

Paula is right on about staying down more than a day or two. There are lots of caves with rock art for day hikes and extra days do not jack the cost up too much. Do it!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 12:55 PM

"... not sure I'm ready to ride a mule that far, ..."
You can hike with just a day pack - no need to ride a mule.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
Thanks for the trip report and photos. A very, very nice place to visit and sounds like you ha a blast!

As mentioned you can book the trips yourself at the INAH office in San Ignacio next door to the mission.
Current charges as of January 2007: Guides are 170 pesos a day with mule. Charge to visitors is 140 pesos a day with a mule.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THOSE PRICES, JORGE???? That's unbelieveably reasonable.

On a multi-day trip, are you expected to take care of the guides meals, similar to packing trips in the Sierra Nevadas?

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:41 PM

Prices

We paid 180p for the guide, and 140p for each animal on the trip-- meaning the guide's mule, 3 mules for the three of us to ride, and 3 pack burros, 7 animals total, per day. Three people would normally use 1 or 2 pack animals. You do provide meals for yourself and your guide. there is a 30p charge per traveller at the INAH office for a permit, and if you take pictures you pay a small fee (20p?) per day for using your camera. Tipping the guide is customary, and we happily tipped generously because the guide really works hard, and never stops smiling.

Still a really reasonable price for the trip, MUCH less than 6-8 hours out fishing with a guide.

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 08:01 PM

Well...this has taken me back...I had to dig out and re-read my own trip report after I could not find it here...I thought I had posted it a few years back when we migrated to this board. I went in November of 2000.

Did Carlos still have his Seattle Mariners jacket? I, too could not believe the low fees. I think, with tips it was about $150 each. For three nights in the canyons.

Our guys, L to R were Ramon, Boney, Carlos & Oscar.

[Edited on 2-15-2007 by jeans]

vaqueros2 (Small).jpg - 43kB

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 11:02 PM

Wow, Jeans, that is our Ramon and our Carlos! I didn't see a Mariners jacket-- is Carlos a fan?

I wonder how many guides there are, as Ramon keeps turning up in other trips I hear about.

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Wow, Jeans, that is our Ramon and our Carlos! I didn't see a Mariners jacket-- is Carlos a fan?

I wonder how many guides there are, as Ramon keeps turning up in other trips I hear about.

I do not know how many there are but they are assigned on rotation..to make it fair. That came up when someone in my group asked if they could request them if they were to come back. Many families supplied the 20+ animals we needed as there were ten of us.

The jacket was a gift from a customer...he really liked it.

There was one man in the group who was scared $#!tless almost to the point paralyzation at the steep trails after his saddle shifted.

It was a wonderful trip...but I'd go into training before I'd do it again.:lol:

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
Can you only do it on horse back or walk.

One of the guys in our group wanted to hike...he didn't want to ride. They had no problem with him hiking, but they insisted on bringing a mule for him, just in case. It was a good call...he broke his ankle. (They use mules, not horses. Horses would not survive that terrain)

[Edited on 2-15-2007 by jeans]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

I do not know how many there are but they are assigned on rotation..to make it fair. That came up when someone in my group asked if they could request them if they were to come back. Many families supplied the 20+ animals we needed as there were ten of us.

The jacket was a gift from a customer...he really liked it.

There was one man in the group who was scared $#!tless almost to the point paralyzation at the steep trails after his saddle shifted.

It was a wonderful trip...but I'd go into training before I'd do it again.:lol:

Jeans,

Please share with us your training schedule. After our mule trip into the Grand Canyon my only complaint was saddle sores.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-15-2007 by tripledigitken]
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:01 PM

With hindsight (pun), I will share my mule riding experience:
Take a pillow/pad to put between El Diablo and your rump.
jeans doesn't need one because.......Ji ji ji ji, I'm dead.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.