Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: La Sierra de San Francisco
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:02 PM

Paula, like you I would be in awe and wonder if I got the chance to see what you did. I did a lot of research on the paintings and as for your question "what was the geography like when they were painted?" the glyphs tell the scientists that the rainfall was probably about what it is today -- the desert varnish bacteria cannot compete with lichen so where it is found (these would be about 7,500 years old) it's either/or and the glyphs are there for us to see. It takes about 10,000 years to make the dark covering of the rocks and I think science is beginning to use that date to age date glyphs that are fading (taking back the space that was scratched off).
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:06 PM

I note that everyone is happy with the guides.
Me too!
Most of them speak little English, but never fail to take really good care of you. Great people. No surprise there, we have found all the backcountry people like that.

A good read if you can find it, is Harry Crosby's Last of the Californios.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:28 PM

"On a multi-day trip, are you expected to take care of the guides meals...?"
You can negotiate it any way you want. If you can contribute part of their meals, the price comes down a bit. If you hike, payment for an extra mule is still required for evacuation purposes. If you keep your gear down, you don't need as many mules to carry it. On our trip, we had hiked ahead of the mules to our last night's destination while the guides loaded up the animals. They were very late getting in. It was after dark, and we made a fire and waited and wondered - they had our dinners! Finally, they arrived. What happened was that one of the mules slipped and fell over a steep cliff. They had to rescue him. One of our guides told us that they have to keep night watch for moutain lions, because they'll attack the mules which are tied up. Our organizer explained to us before we left, that we could leave anything that we didn't want to bring back home for the guides' families. We made a big pile: I ditched my boots, a tarp, some cookies, toothpaste, etc. I'd do it again fer shur.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:43 PM

Good on you, wilderone!
Look around, they are sure not getting rich with the cheap prices they get. Marian gave one of her hearing aids to one of our guides.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Jeans,

Please share with us your training schedule. After our mule trip into the Grand Canyon my only complaint was saddle sores.:rolleyes:

:lol:
The training I referred to was for the hiking involved, not the riding. All of the caves are half way up the canyon walls. You can't ride right up to them. Also, there are parts of the trail where you have to dismount and lead the mule...uphill. You want to be able to move faster than the mule. :o

I had no problem with saddle sores, but not for the reason alluded to by a certain boney-a***d aridologist. (meant in a most loving way, of course...missed you last weekend, Neal).

The saddle happened to fit me. If the seat is too wide, it is very uncomfortable on the ischiums (the bottom of your pelvis). Inexperienced riders sit heavy in the saddle, with all of their weight on those bones. Experienced riders carry their weight on the balls of their feet, taking pressure off the ischiums. (I owned horses for 18 years)

So, it was the hiking that got me...I even passed on climbing up to the last cave the morning we came back because my legs were losing strength.... that's when accidents happen.

I think 6 months regular duty on a stairmaster prior to the next trip would make it much more enjoyable...and probably lighten the mule's load, too! :yes:

We also donated a lot of excess equipment and food to the guides.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2007 at 10:24 PM

A trainig schedule!!!

What a good idea! I'm already doing some excercise every morning just in case I get to go on the trail again soon. Calesthenics for the muscles, especially the quads. A little yoga for balance on those edgy trails up the canyon walls to the caves. And a bit of meditation, repeating my new mantra "just trust your mule" over and over all day long. For lack of a stairmaster, I should just go to Tabor, south of Loreto, and climb the boulders 3 times a week! Jeans, you are right-- preparation would make the trip even better!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2007 at 09:03 AM
Paula

How many day or nights your group expend in the sierra and how many paintings sites did you guys goy to see in those days for example in a weekend how many sites can somebody see.:?:

Ps.Paula can you throw afew cave names that you visit it.thanks

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-19-2007 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
How many day or nights your group expend in the sierra and how many paintings sites did you guys goy to see in those days for example in a weekend how many sites can somebody see.:?:

I believe that Paula & I covered the same ground. We also camped at Rancho Teresa the first night...the other two nights we stayed in the same location further down.

Her first cave picture was from Cueva las Flechas...(arrows) notice the black lines...they are arrows. That cave is across the canyon from the large Cueva Pintada.

Cueva Musica had a large, elaborately carved rock. I do not recall the other two cave names...one I did not hike to on the last day. Three nights in the canyons, 5 caves.

We had only planned on two nights but we were "up-sold" after we left the rancho. On the edge of the canyon, there is a sign with a map of the canyons & caves. They showed us how many caves we could see in two days...but if you want to stay an extra day........

......very clever!
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2007 at 08:33 PM
Thanks Mindy

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

I believe that Paula & I covered the same ground. We also camped at Rancho Teresa the first night...the other two nights we stayed in the same location further down.

Her first cave picture was from Cueva las Flechas...(arrows) notice the black lines...they are arrows. That cave is across the canyon from the large Cueva Pintada.

Cueva Musica had a large, elaborately carved rock. I do not recall the other two cave names...one I did not hike to on the last day. Three nights in the canyons, 5 caves.

We had only planned on two nights but we were "up-sold" after we left the rancho. On the edge of the canyon, there is a sign with a map of the canyons & caves. They showed us how many caves we could see in two days...but if you want to stay an extra day........

......very clever!
just wondering what I can see in a weekend

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 08:54 AM

Bajacat, I'm sorry not to have answered your question sooner, we were out of town for a few days.

You could probably see several caves in a weekend. Three nights out would be better. Some of the best art is back in at Cacariso, which is about a four hour ride. From there you can hike to Las Flechas and Pintada, which we did. They are spectacular. You could hike on to La Soledad, but we didn't. It would have been a hard climb further. In the other direction from the campground you can go up Boca San Julio which is a beautiful hike. There is a petroglyph (carved rock) there that is wonderful to see, and then you go on to cueva San Julio. If I remember correctly, la musica is near Santa Teresa camp, which is half way in from San Francisco. There is another cave directly high above Santa Teresa that part of our group rode up to. So it would depend on your stamina and your guide's willingness to do all of that in a weekend. I think you could get good advice on an itinerary by talking with the office of INAH in San Ignacio at the museum by the mission.

I hope you get to do the trip, and let us know how it was-- I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 10:05 AM

Some early photos of the caves plus the first map drawn of the locations (The government changed many of the names even though it was drawn by their archeologist, Dr. Margain) can be seen at http://ChoralPepper.com Included is the cave discoverd by Choral... Pepper Cave, that could only be seen from helicopter.

[Edited on 2-22-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 06:19 PM
No worries Paula

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Bajacat, I'm sorry not to have answered your question sooner, we were out of town for a few days.

You could probably see several caves in a weekend. Three nights out would be better. Some of the best art is back in at Cacariso, which is about a four hour ride. From there you can hike to Las Flechas and Pintada, which we did. They are spectacular. You could hike on to La Soledad, but we didn't. It would have been a hard climb further. In the other direction from the campground you can go up Boca San Julio which is a beautiful hike. There is a petroglyph (carved rock) there that is wonderful to see, and then you go on to cueva San Julio. If I remember correctly, la musica is near Santa Teresa camp, which is half way in from San Francisco. There is another cave directly high above Santa Teresa that part of our group rode up to. So it would depend on your stamina and your guide's willingness to do all of that in a weekend. I think you could get good advice on an itinerary by talking with the office of INAH in San Ignacio at the museum by the mission.

I hope you get to do the trip, and let us know how it was-- I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!
Mindy told me what to expect, in that amount of time. People new, like me to this (Bajalife) think that it required's a lot of time to go and explore,but people like you David K and some others clearly shows that with little time but with a lot of Baja fever anything is possible thaks all you guys that share your trips with the rest off us. Gracias Baja Amiga.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 07:16 PM

Bajacat, If I remember correctly it was your report on San Borja that motivated us to go there. Turnabout's fair play!:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-24-2007 at 08:13 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Bajacat, If I remember correctly it was your report on San Borja that motivated us to go there. Turnabout's fair play!:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
Thats what this forum is all about, sharing trips and getting people to see a little bit of what you have experince. now you are motivating me to do this trip...:tumble::lol::tumble:

Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 11:46 AM

Very cool trip! Thanks for sharing.
So many wonders in Baja :wow:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 06:35 PM

Photos are great! Carlos resembles a Villavicencio (tall)... The Arce's and Villavicencio's are the backbone of the Baja mountain clans!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 04:28 PM

I BUMP, HAVE YOU BUMP LATELY???

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 05:52 PM

This is Paula, not Don

[BAJACAT[/B], It is amazing that you bumped this up today, as I just got back to Loreto yesterday from bumping along on the back of a mule in the sierra! Do you have psychic powers?? I was down in the canyon for a full week, and didn't even know who our next president would be until the 7th!!! It was a great trip-- we went to rancho San Gregorio, 5 hours by mule from any road.

I haven't been able to log on for weeks now, and not having much to say I haven't taken the time to fix the problem, but in the next few days I'll get it done and maybe put up a trip report.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 06:20 PM

Thanks for all your info everyone about this magical place....we are planning a trip this fall and I have a question...how cold will it be there in say mid december??? muy frio??? We cant wait!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2008 at 06:38 PM

Shari, it gets good and cold there by December and I think it sometimes gets down to the 30's F. at night, depending on where you are. Take lots of layers, raingear, gloves, warm cap as well as a riding hat for the sun. I've slept out-- no tent-- on some cold nights and you'll need a ground cover and something to keep your bag dry as the dew can be heavy.

Are you setting up your own trip through the INAH office in San Ignacio? If so you get the guides by rotation unless you make a specific request, which they will honor if the guide you ask for is available. I have names of some really great people if you haven't already booked the trip...
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.