Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Canning smoked Yellowtail
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 02:25 PM
Canning smoked Yellowtail

I've only done it once, but it came out so well I thought I'd share it.

There are two steps here, and while one may be modified, the other will depend on the manufacturer's instructions with your pressure canner.

Too much flavoring and too much smoke will ruin the batch.
My marinate is "Soy like". I use Mrs. Bragg's Amino Acid blend as it has fewer additives than common soy sauce, and tastes salty. I'm also a big fan of Old Bay seasoning. Those are the only two items in the marinate. (That's a lot of flavors) Four hours marinating in the fridge was plenty.

Before marinating, I had cut the filets to a size that would stand vertically in the canning jars. The recommendation is to leave an inch of head space in the jars, but for half pints we found that could be reduced by half without a problem.

An important step that fish smokers know is that it is critical to air dry the fish until the marinate has dried and the outside of the fish is sticky. I have some military surplus stainless steel trays and a screened cover I built so I can put them in the sun without worrying about flies and ants.

I use a simple cylinderical charcoal smoker; the kind with a water vessel inside. With the fire hot enough to boil the water I put my fish on and added a good double handfull of thoroughly soaked apple wood chips. The fish smoked for ONE hour, no more.

While the fish was smoking we sterilized the jars and lids, and preped the canner.

We found no problem with packing the jars fairly tightly. After an hour and a half at 240 degrees the fish had shrunk and the pieces did not stick together.

At sea level we brought the pressure up to about 11 psi and then timed the process for ninety minutes. (Your canner instructions may vary)

Next time I will probably reduce the intensity of the marinate and the time it sits, I will also probably take about ten minutes off the smoker time.

While this batch has received 100% good feedback and is excellent mixed with crema, mayo and salsa as a dip on corn chips or saltines, it is just a tad "rico" when eaten plain.

It's a great way to 'bring some home'.

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by vgabndo]

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by vgabndo]

IMG_0043.JPG - 37kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

eureka.gif posted on 2-10-2007 at 02:36 PM
saborcita

now if i could just figure out how to use my smoker. i guess the best way is to ruin a piece, or three.

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by woody in ob]

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 02:52 PM

Woody, there are several EXPERTS on this board. I'm sure if you had a specific question you'd get a lot of help. The smoker I use both cooks and smokes the fish and it is pretty fast. A lot of people swear by very slow low temp. smoking.
(<160 degrees for like 14 hours) I'll eat any of it.:spingrin:

Two ways I've ruined fish was to get it too dry, and putting the fish on too early when the Mesquite which was going to make my fruit wood smolder was still smoking itself. Mesquite is pretty strong for fish. Go for it.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 04:23 PM

i'd like to watch the process first, then give it a try. there are so many variables that, for a beginner, it is daunting...:?:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 05:24 PM

Liguid smoke, brown sugar, plus other seasonings, not sure of the %'s. Mix it, pour it on the fish in the jars and can it!:tumble::yes:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 05:38 PM

Liquid Smoke!...Sugar!...Don't let SharksBaja see that!:lol:

Bill Kauth

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 05:50 PM

vgabndo.:yes:
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 07:25 PM

Hey Vag,
Sounds like you have Hoopa blood in you, thats pretty darn close to the way a co-hort from Hoopa cans his Salmon, and they live off of the results the rest of the year!, thanks for sharing
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 09:19 PM

Hey, I'm honored Chino. No Karok, No Yurok, just a smidge of Cherokee on my pappy's side, and they were real short of Salmon!!

Where are you in TC?

Bill Kauth

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 06:41 AM

for my salmon and jurel i use pecan wood. and the deal for me is don't put the fish on till the smoke box cools to about 120 degrees, no more!! you want to slow smoke it, not bake it!!
i can let it sit for 6 hours and its cured.
then i vac seal it with a machine. keeps for ever, i don't need to can it, just refer it.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 11:11 AM

Smoking fish is a learning process. First time it was dorado jerky,very tasty,but a little tough. Now it just gets better every time. Where do you get apple or pecan?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 02:35 PM

Tuna: For me it was a no-brainer (that was helpful) when I hauled my smoker down I first filled it with Cherry and Apple prunings from the yard.

For a local smoke wood, I have heard that Palo Blanco is good, but I haven't tried it.

I certainly agree there is a learning curve.:lol:

Bill Kauth

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 07:58 PM
Liquid smoke!!!!!

Avast matey! To the plank with ye!!!

Ok, I confess, I smoke seafood. As Vagabndo mentions, there are many configurations and adjustments possible.

Let's discuss a couple things.

Paramount to smoking is the temperature and moisture.

Cold smoking is a little tricky for most folks because of the limited ability to control temps within the smoker. If you can do it this way you will arrive with a velvety smooth textured food akin to lox. Temps can range for 60-115f.
This is product kept for short periods of time under refrigeration.

Hot smoking is called kippered fish and that's what you see in market etc. and can be shelf safe for many months if not years if properly cooked and packaged. This method is what I utilize although I have the ability to bo either way. I like a little more solid fish than lox. Typically anything over 141f is considered hot.

I would be remiss to state I'm some kind of expert but there is a serious side to this post that people should consider.

The methodology of smoking/canning is something people need to understand. When considering the way you want to prepare your fish my suggestion would be to use the canning method unless you will eat the fish within two-three weeks and refrigerated. Any longer could be scary. True, vacuum packing slows and inhibits bacterial growth but that's all it does.
When you remove moisture from a product as like with jerky or smoked food vac packed fish it is the oils and salts that are the main ingredients for preserving. Please remember that high moisture/high protein content means an environment suitable for growth of harmful bacteria. That is unless that moisture has been sterilized and sealed in during the process.:light:
I know many people who smoke fish(most roll their own). Most do it on a onceinawhile basis and consume their product soon after producing. I certainly can't eat enough of it. THe ol-timers however prefer to smoke and package up a large supply to enjoy for months to come.

They ALL can their smoked fish with pressure cookers. Bacteria can be right at home at 38f and won't die unless processed at 240f+.
THat is an easy feat for most folks and temps are usually that high for most smokers.
But, under those temps, and without proper salting and curing there could be a problem with spoilage. Commercial smokers follow strict HCCAP guidelines packaging and processingand the govt. enforces them rigorously.
As pressure cooking temps will reach 240f+ and processed for the appropriate amount of time assures a stable safe product in a sealed container and will last for years. High protein foods like fish can spoil regardless of smoking if not properly salted, refrigerated/frozen and stored.
Canning a smoked fish does two things. It saves moisture content, all too important for this type of food and it guarantees a safe product when properly canned. This amonnts to cooking the fish twice.

With that said, it would be prudent to consider the options available to insure a safe food.

Curing
Wet curing is more reliable than a dry rub cure and unless experienced results can differ widely. Of course brown sugar and spices and the most favored ingredients, folks try all kind of things. I have a customer who regularly smokes salmon and sturgeon at home. He visits here with fantastic samples for us to try. He's good.

Curing fish and achieving great taste and texture can be a very secret thang.. Salt removes moisture and therefore changes the density and texture. Most use two cures, one for salt and one for flavor, with a rinse in between.;D

Be creative,
Cure recipes..... well let me think??? :D
Good post Perry.

[Edited on 2-12-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 09:22 PM

...as the previous posts have mentioned, the art of smoking and preserving fish does involve a substantial amount of learning for the person trying to make the product tasty and appealing. I have canned a lot of salmon, tuna, etc., both smoked and fresh. The smoked variety has taken a while to make a brine that will produce the best smoked fish after canning. I have found that a mild brine (salt wise) will do best, since the salt gets concentrated in the canning jar. I have also had the fish in the smoker for less time that if it was going to be wrapped and frozen. The smoker temp was held at about 160-170, but the smoke was strong for the initial couple hours. The fish came out of the smoker while still quite "wet", but with a nice smoke patina. The moisture when allowed to stay in the fish, gives it a fair amount of moisture that will cook out when in the canner. It's also much easier to pack into the jars when it is moist. I have stayed away from "flavors" in the brine or otherwise, preferring to let the smoke add the flavor to the fish. The fatter the fiish, the better it takes the smoke. I have even tried smoking my own oysters, cheese, venison hams, game birds, etc. Get (or, build) a smoker and a good "How To" book, and try your hand...I'll be glad to trade ideas...new ones are always fun to try...
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 10:12 PM

I think I've found the people to answer some of my questions.

I have most of the components for this smoker already in Baja, but haven't put it together because I don't know if it will work. The smoke pipes, smoker box, dampers, two nice wood stove doors with intake dampers, are all thee.

The plan would be that a fire of any temperature could be kept burning in fire chamber A. The swinging steel plate between A and B would allow for "pure" coals to be scraped into the adjacent chamber under the plate which would support the smoke wood chips whenever necessary to keep the B side warm enough. The damper E, in the fire box with its intake damper would be somewhat independent of the smoke box because of the swinging plate.

The smoke chamber intake damper, possible damper F and the damper above the smoker itself would keep the temperature low and the smoke consistent.

The idea being to keep the temperature low and correct over long periods of time while stoking the "A" side as required.

Yeah, I know. A hot plate would be easier, but I don't want to listen to the genny for 14 hours.

What do you think?

Oops...50 KB doesn't go too far in MS Paint!!

[Edited on 2-12-2007 by vgabndo]

[Edited on 2-12-2007 by vgabndo]

IMG_0002.JPG - 27kB

Bill Kauth

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 11:48 PM
x-tra flavours not necessary

Try a dry rub brine. Pack wet fish in and around with sea salt or rock salt. Let sit 6-8 hrs then rinse and thoroughly dry fish before smoking.
Vagabond, that smoker looks interesting and quite basic really in design. So it's really two side by side charcoal cookboxes separated by a swinging door. Clever design.
My question is; can you segregate the chambers with the swinging doors enough to block the influence of draft created in the firebox. I fear that the suction from the greater air useage on either side could rob the other side and vice-versa. It doesn't take a whole lot of holes or cracks to fuel a fire w/air. If that separation/seal is good enough I feel you could control the situation by eliminating the draft influence. Then it could be isolated for better coventional control. . Another idea you might concider is locasting the smoking chamber as far away as you can from the heat/smoke source. The farther away the better.... like up a hill.:lol: This is a good method for coldsmoking but could work well for you. If it works well I want to be first in line for your patented portable model.;D:biggrin:

hint: coat fish in and out with olive oil just before smoking

[Edited on 2-13-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 06:15 AM

Very informative thread! Will brush the fish with olive oil before smoking 'em.:D The old, all-metal refrigs make a cheap and effective smoker, can utilize either a seperate firebox or a hot plate for a heat source.:yes:Not very pretty, but gets the job done.:yes: Have been told that smoking fish in a smoker ruins it for smoking other meats etc.:o Found this not to be true.:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.