Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexico's Calderon vows no respite in drug gang war
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-10-2007 at 08:39 PM
Mexico's Calderon vows no respite in drug gang war

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN10266059200702...

Feb 10, 2007

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Saturday vowed no respite in his crackdown on drug gangs after brazen attacks on police stations this week killed seven.

Gunmen disguised as soldiers assaulted two police stations in the resort of Acapulco on Tuesday and killed seven in broad daylight. They left the message: "We don't give a damn about the federal government and this is proof."

Calderon, who won a razor-thin victory in Mexico's presidential election last year, was unbowed.

"We are not going to give up, not because of provocations or attacks against the security of Mexicans," Calderon said in a speech to the military. "There will be no truce ... against the enemies of Mexico."

Calderon, who took office on December 1, has sent thousands of troops to violent regions of Mexico to tackle drug gangs that killed 2,000 people in feuds last year.

As part of the clampdown, soldiers have been investigating local police forces for connections with drug cartels. In the rowdy border city of Tijuana, just south of San Diego, the army has confiscated all the city police's guns.

In January, almost 8,000 troops and federal police were sent to the region around Acapulco to clamp down on rival gangs at war for control of lucrative drug plantations and smuggling routes.

Despite the crackdown, there were 190 drug gang-related deaths in Mexico in January, just a handful less than a year ago.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2007 at 09:36 PM

Calderon is right on in his war with the Cartel. In Central America and South America the Cartel took over some of the countries. They had the government in their pocket and had the army and police outgunned. It is time to take a stand against the Mexican Mafia and Cartel now---before it is too late. This would be a good time for the U.S. to offer to assist in any way it can....if Bush could get his head out of Iran for a little while.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 02:08 AM

more oil in Iran/Iraq

why would he go to Mexico?

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 07:33 AM

The Final and only answer to the Problem of Drugs.

Teach the Americans not to use Drugs!!!!!!!!!!
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 07:46 AM

AMEN, AMEN Skeet

Supply and demand! will always be someone willing to supply
"anything" if the money is right.

george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 09:48 AM

"Teach the Americans not to use Drugs!" Skeet---Easier said then done.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
"Teach the Americans not to use Drugs!" Skeet---Easier said then done.

Amen!
Very hard, since we can't barely even teach Americans the Capital of Mexico....:no:

Where is Mexico anyway??? :?:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 05:28 PM

beat them in grammar school,

look what it did for me:spingrin::bounce::O

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 05:47 PM

Ok, so that rules out beatings...

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-13-2007 at 05:50 PM

george is sure on a roll this week :lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 02:54 AM

BS (wow, what initials they are)

it's those shock treatments:yawn:...they really help.

This beautiful morn I only broke two plates and one cup...

But I have yet today "to touch base with the feminin:dudette: side of myself!"

djh did ya ever have a nun beat ya? it's spiritual I tell ya.......

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 11:03 AM
NO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
The Final and only answer to the Problem of Drugs.

Teach the Americans not to use Drugs!!!!!!!!!!

PUNISH ALL Americans who use drugs. Every...single...one!

A MANDATORY 3 month sentence for simple possession should do it.

How you gonna explain that to your boss? ;)

djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 04:31 PM

Hey Capt. G....

I once had a similar dream... (or maybe that was a fantasy??). Wonder if they have a special "habit" for beatings? :spingrin:

Dave, You sure you want to pay enough taxes for those prisons? There are sooooooooooo many who use and abuse. Yet another huge unravelling of the deteriorated fabric of western civilization...

But, hey... Happy Valentines Day. Today we celebrate with people we love!

djh

Peace, Love, and Music
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:16 PM

I think it was just a "dirty habit".........after almost being kicked by a Dominican..................

I can't go past a woman wearing big, ugly black men's type shoes.

Maybe therapy will help?

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:21 PM

Another option would be to legalize, tax and therefore control these substances. This would take the cartels out of the business as legalized growers and producers would be licensed by the state. This would take the profit out of the underground economy and allow tax revenue to be generated as it is with cigarettes and alcohol.

The US tried prohibition with alcohol and it failed miserably and created a criminal class of both consumers and suppliers. Our prisons are now filled with people who have committed drug offenses both on the production and consumption end.

It is possible to deal with drug use as a Medical and Social Problem and to attack it as has been done with cigarette smoking. When there is a social stigma attached to this sort of behavior and sufficient public education, behavior can change. Do you recall when smoking cigarettes was accepted everywhere? Do you recall the years when smoking was increasing among teens? This very addictive behavior has been taxed significantly and lots of public education has changed usage patterns.

Human beings are addictive organisms. Schemes like the "war against drugs" are doomed to failure. The Nixon administration turned the nations attention toward its "war on drugs" in order to counter the increased power of the "counter culture" of the seventies. A successful scare campaign identified and mobilized a "silent majority" against the behavior of pot smoking and drug use, which were common in the "counter culture." A huge industry has now grown around the "War on Drugs" with powerful stake in the "war" continuing. This has been an unanticipated consequence of this reactionary approach to drug use.

Prior to the Nixon/Agnew campaign, the Congress was on the verge of legalizing or decriminalizing the use of marijuana, after studies, like the LaGuardia report, found that smoking marijuana was a rather benign activity. Since then the pot that is grown, due to the underground nature of the product, has become exponentially more powerful as underground growers turned to growing this cash crop indoors. This has been another unintended consequence of this failed approach to the problem.

Marijuana is the second leading cash crop of both Oregon and British Columbia. It would appear that the current efforts to eradicate its use have actually increased its use. It certainly has increased the potency of the drug. There is a tremendous demand for these illicit drugs.

It is difficult to propose and support a nuanced approach to issues like drug abuse. It is easy to say, “lock ‘em up”. It is easy to characterize one who proposes other solutions like legalization, social education, and the use of medical interventions to the problem of drug use, as advocating for the use of these drugs. I have personally seen people destroyed by drugs. I have seen families destroyed by drugs. I have seen people die of drug use, including alcohol and tobacco. I am not advocating drug use, I am advocating a different way to think about and approach this very significant social and medical problem.

I believe there are those people who are hooked on drugs, alcohol, or tobacco either the first time they use them or who become addicted or dependant upon them over time. I also know that there are people who have used these drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, like Cigars, in a way that does not destroy their lives. There appear to be people who can moderate their use of these substances and others who cannot. I think it is important to distinguish between these people and to provide medical help to those who become addicted.

I believe that this war on drugs is as great a folly as the “War on Terrorism.” What is required in both situations is not simplistic solutions, i.e. use of force alone, but a combination of well thought out responses that take into account the underlying issues involved.

It is easy to label someone who supports more nuanced approaches to the drug problem as an advocate of drug use. Just like it was easy to label those opposed the invasion of Iraq, as advocating for the "enemy.” These are ad hominum arguments, aimed at discrediting the proponent; they do not address the issues. I do not wish to engage in this sort of argument.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:27 PM

I neglected to state that I also support the current campaign against the Cartels and their goons. If I were alive during prohibition, I wouild also have been an advocate of imprisonment for Sociopaths like Al Capone.

Iflyfish
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:32 PM
iflyfish

de acuerdo.

eventually legalization will happen. but not soon. and not easily. as someone recently noted, there's waaaaay too much money in it for the current situation to change.

i appreciate how clearly you identified the issues. and when the bashing begins, don't let the reactionary responses hook you;D

lili
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:36 PM

sylens,

Good to hear from you!

Happy Valentines Day!

Fore warned is fore armed.

Iflyfish
djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 05:41 PM

You state some very good points, Uflyfish.. Good food for thought (not chum, right? ;). And it is going to take MUCH good thinking to turn the tide on this issue ~ and many others humans face on our shrinking planet.

I especially like your comment "These are ad hominum arguments, aimed at discrediting the proponent; they do not address the issues. I do not wish to engage in this sort of argument."

I've commented on this on Nomads several times before. Diverse views, experiences, expertise, and skills are required to create real solutions. Marginalizing differing views, opinions, etc., detours diverse people from creating real, workable solutions. ie., fellow nomads, please both consider and be considerate :)

djh

Peace, Love, and Music
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 2-14-2007 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Another option would be to legalize, tax and therefore control these substances.

Which substances? I can see & aggree with your point about pot,

but,

people I've known who killed themselves with speed would be just as dead if that substance was legalized.

Legalization would multiply the number of dead & dying junkies by 10 times, at a minimum!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.