BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Nomads who like fine cigars???
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 04:47 PM

Mike .......

I've tried to appreciate cigars, at least the smell, forever and just can't get past the smoldering land-fill aroma.
It's just me. I dont care for Scotch either.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 05:26 PM

My current favorite is a Padron Torpedo, 1964 Anniversary Series, Maduro wrapper. Super smoke :)
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Mike .......

I've tried to appreciate cigars, at least the smell, forever and just can't get past the smoldering land-fill aroma.

DENNIS - no cigars and no Scotch? How do you get through the day?? :)
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
My current favorite is a Padron Torpedo, 1964 Anniversary Series, Maduro wrapper. Super smoke :)

Ken, that one sounds just GREAT. I will have to try a five-pack with my next order. I like the Torpedo design a lot.
Thanks for the tip.
Bob H

Edit: This cigar is tough to find "in stock" I was able to fine one place that would sell me ONE. Here's the comment they made.... from http://www.showmeyourash.com

"This cigar was developed in commemoration of the 75th Birthday of Jose O. Padron. The goal behind the development of this line was to honor his lifetime of work in the tobacco industry. This was done by creating a cigar that captures some of his favorite characteristics in a full bodied smoke that combines complexity, balance and flavor. All tobacco used in this cigar has been aged for 5 years. If you can get your hands on a box or even a single cigar, by all means, do so."

[Edited on 2-16-2007 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Mike .......

Cigarette smoke is one thing I cannot stand, but the aroma of a fine cigar just can't be beat... Maybe you've been sniff'n Hav-a-tampas, Dutch Masters, or somthing like that.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 09:41 PM

It's a bonus going to Mexico to have access to Cubans. Unfortunately, most "Cuban" cigars sold in Mexico are not true Cubans. I had a fantastic Montecristo corona several weeks ago in Cabo. They have this nice area with a gas fire ring near the Passion nightclub at the Melia San Lucas where you can have a Margarita and enjoy a cigar. Mexican cigars are not too bad. The Te Amo Anniversario's can be tasty and are a lot less money than Cubans. There was a cigar made in Tijuana before the cigar boom got out of hand called Conquistador that was incredible. As good tobacco got harder to get, the cigars got worse and worse. I don't even know if the shop that sold them is still open. Anybody been to La Villa del Tabaco lately? The owners name was Rudy.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2007 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rogerj1
It's a bonus going to Mexico to have access to Cubans.

Actually, in my opinion, modern day Cuban cigars are not made like they were in the old days and are all way over priced. I buy cigars that are made in Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. The prices are right and most are made by those families who defected from the Castro empowerment many years ago.
Bob H

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2007 at 09:10 PM

It was great to hear from all of the cigar smokers out there.
Gracias, Bob H

alkijeff

[*] posted on 2-19-2007 at 09:12 AM

Bob, for the life of me, I can't remember if we enjoyed a cigar together while at Santa Inez or Coyote Beach a few years back. I just ordered two boxes of La Gloria Cubana Wavells for the next trip down.
Hope all is well with you and Audrey.
Jeff
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2007 at 10:01 AM

Jeff, where have you been? When are you going down South? Send me an email at bajarover@yahoo.com
Bob H

paul-sf

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 11:30 PM

I'm a newbie here, but thought I'd chime in on this topic since cigars and baja are a great combination.
Best cigar moment I've ever had was a Ashton VSG torpedo on the upper deck in Cabo Pulmo after diving with a few hammerheads. The dive guides and other divers came over for an evening of grilled dorado taco's, guitars, and pacificos.

There is newish cigar bar in Cabo by JnJ called Hemingways. Authentic cubans (way overpriced), but you're paying for the atmosphere too I guess. There was a guy rolling cigars at the entrance that were actually pretty good. Cuban wrapper, mexican filler.

Second the vote for the PAM 64's. Some other fav's:
- Padron 5000
- El Rey del Mundo Robusto
- CAO Blacks
- Montecristo #2 white
- 5Vegas A
I usually travel with a tupperdor full of cigars to share while on the road. Most people who try cigars, smoke them waaaay too fast. 1 puff a minute is a good rule of thumb.

Also, I have to disagree on the cubans. The flavor isn't for everyone, but from the right vendor, the prices can compete with the non-cubans and the consistency is coming back.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 10:32 AM

Welcome aboard Paul.
Bob H

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-23-2007 at 12:10 PM

My favorite smoke was a Cuban back in the late 80's along with a bottle of Sherry Port from 1898. One of those nights. Any Cuban I've had since then doesn't stand a chance.

My favorite everyday cigar is the La Paloma Reserva, Maduro Wrapper--for around $1.50 each from Thompson Cigar Co. they're hard to beat. Lots of those smoked in Baja eh pappy?
rayfornario
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 2-23-2007 at 03:06 PM
Rudy's

Quote:
Originally posted by rogerj1
It's a bonus going to Mexico to have access to Cubans. Unfortunately, most "Cuban" cigars sold in Mexico are not true Cubans. I had a fantastic Montecristo corona several weeks ago in Cabo. They have this nice area with a gas fire ring near the Passion nightclub at the Melia San Lucas where you can have a Margarita and enjoy a cigar. Mexican cigars are not too bad. The Te Amo Anniversario's can be tasty and are a lot less money than Cubans. There was a cigar made in Tijuana before the cigar boom got out of hand called Conquistador that was incredible. As good tobacco got harder to get, the cigars got worse and worse. I don't even know if the shop that sold them is still open. Anybody been to La Villa del Tabaco lately? The owners name was Rudy.

I go to Rudy's every Wednesday evening, have a group of friends i meet there. Rudy's is still in business but sadly, Rudy passed away last May. His wife Elena is determioned to keep Rudy's open. It is the only place to get real Cubans down in TJ and the atmosphere is great!
Ray
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quoted by Rayfornario
I go to Rudy's every Wednesday evening, have a group of friends i meet there. Rudy's is still in business but sadly, Rudy passed away last May. His wife Elena is determioned to keep Rudy's open. It is the only place to get real Cubans down in TJ and the atmosphere is great!
Ray

How do you know they are REAL Cubans?

[Edited on 2-25-2007 by Bob H]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2007 at 09:55 PM

Yeah -----

After 9/11 you can't be too careful, ya know.
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 02:12 PM

Everything in Rudy's store is real!!!!They all come with holograms on the boxes. After 10 yearsw I know a real cuban cigar. Factory reps come into the stores from time to time. If they find you selling countefeits, you are cut off. Rudy also organized trips to Cuba through TJ. We will miss him!
Ray
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rayfornario
Everything in Rudy's store is real!!!!They all come with holograms on the boxes. After 10 yearsw I know a real cuban cigar. Factory reps come into the stores from time to time. If they find you selling countefeits, you are cut off. Rudy also organized trips to Cuba through TJ. We will miss him!
Ray

Thanks for the clarification Ray. Sounds like Rudy was a great guy.
Bob H

rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:50 PM

A visit to Rudy's is a must for any cigar lover!
Ray
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 12:53 PM

I like most of them Cohiba, Punch, Oaxacan, Humboldt, Hawaiian
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.