BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting off the main road
Travelbuff

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 08:34 AM
Getting off the main road

We are heading for Baja in a few days and plan to stay for 2 months. Last year was our first trip and we had a fantastic time. We have a 2004 Ford 350 4x4 and a 10 foot camper. We would like to do a little more exploring but we sure wouldn't want anything to happen to our camper. Could we make the trip to Mision San Javier? How about San Borja? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 09:15 AM
San Javier and San Borja

Yes and Yes

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 09:59 AM

San Borja can be approached from two directions, from the road to BOLA or from Rosarito, that you can see from your own map. There is a great diff in the roads however. While the one from Rosarito could be driven in just about anything, the other one has tree limbs encroaching over the roadway, and gullies to cross, that when approaching, disappear from ones view under the hood until the vehicle starts on its way down. At some places the branches of trees are swiping against the sides of the vehicle with such force it would be doubtful one could open the doors. I've only done it once, at night, a Christmas Eve at that. Needless to say, I exited out the other way.
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 10:02 AM

Nikon posted, wasn't logged in.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2004 at 10:59 AM
San Javier

I highly recommend going to the Mission up there.1 1/2 to 2 hour trip on a pretty good road. No problem for you guys.
If you do decide to go there, please take some flower/vegetable seeds to Francisca Arce. If you go there, you will meet her. I have some other suggestions about that area as well so if you are interested, pm me.

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 08:32 AM

Perhaps the 'trees' were cleared... Last trip (New Years, a week and a half ago) myself (Tacoma), Humfreville's (Suburban) and the GeoRock's (HUMMER) all went to San Borja from the north... and no tress were in the way.

Going up to Montevideo is a differnt story.. but they all still got through on that narrow road.

There are many dips, as Nikkon said. But, it is a 2WD graded road with just one rocky section to slow down for.

The road from Rosarito was excellent when I drove it last July.

Photos from New Years at San Borja (were enhanced by academicanarchist lat night): http://community-2.webtv.net/VivaBaja/1203

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 04:07 PM
And the gullies?

What about the gullies, David?

Thanks for the great shot of the road up the canyon, SB. The resolution is so good that I'm using it for my "wallpaper."

Reminds me of what I could be doing instead of sitting here at a desk.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 12:58 AM

I would call them 'dips' not gullies... they can be taken at speed. Over New Years, they were all filled with water from the rain. We all had fun splasing in the mud, speciallty the girls in back of my truck! It is a beautiful road in beautiful boojum country. The road to Rosarito from the mission is faster as it is on flat terrain. Both are easy 2WD dirt roads. Great photos at the mission (and L.A. Bay sites) from Bedman at http://davidksbaja.com/bedman2

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.