Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BOLA in mid April w/ kids
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 11:02 AM
BOLA in mid April w/ kids

BOLA in mid April w/ kids

Looking to go to BOLA for the first time. Will be traveling w/ the wee ones,(daughter 5, and son 2) Will be driving VW Westfalia and camping. We have invited two other couples(no commitments yet). One couple will be bringing two dogs, the other couple will bring 12 year old girl. My questions are regarding all the usual stuff i.e.: camping places, available supplies, eateries w/in walking distance, kayak rentals, crowds.

Any and all comments are welcome and useful.
:biggrin:
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 11:39 AM
www.campgecko.com

Check out Camp Gecko site,should answer all you questions,but remember Semana Santa and Spring Break...enjoy:spingrin:

I hear the whales song
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 11:58 AM

Camp Gecko is 4 miles south of town on a washboard road so you'd have to drive to the village for restaurants (or cook at Geckos). There is Guillermo's in town, right along the shore and you can walk from there to the few local restaurants, shops and markets. They have several Sat phone/Internet kiosks in the village. Both Gecko and Guillermo offer showers and toilets. You can rent kayaks for exploring or pangas (with guide) for fishing. If you go any distance from the shore by boat and without a guide, be very careful. The weather there is notoriously quick to change. Be sure to visit La Gringa at the north end of the bay. It's a 6 mile drive over partial dirt, but beautiful, a bay within a bay within the Sea of Cortez. If you have specific ???'s, let us know.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 01:29 PM

We parked our cabover camper right on the water at Guillermo's, right in front of the little motel there. Great spot, and the resturant is right there and everything else is close by.
I just found out that Semana Santa starts on Palm Sundy and goes for one week. That would be April 4th through the end of the week, April 10th? :lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 05:00 PM

Was in BOLA in November, and camped at Los Pinos. It's on the way to the northern La Gringa end. It's smallish - about 6 palapas, clean, with nice tiled BBQ areas. Right on the beach. There was a larger palapa with thatch walls for $8. nt. There wasn't anyone around when we were there - had the whole place to ourselves. If you're planning to spend some time at La Gringa area, it's sure closer than Camp Gecko.
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 06:39 PM

Camp Gecko is great for kids I have brought my kids, 4 and 6, there twice and they loved it. Plus it is owned by the town doctor so when Sandy split her toe open on a rock, the doctor was rigiht there to bandage it up! And I might add refuse to take any money for it.
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 1-12-2004 at 07:52 PM

Just wanted to put in a plug for Campo Archelon (also known as the turtle camp)on the road to Gringa about a mile or so out of town. Hosted by Antonio and Bety Resendiz, there are 6-8 palapas to rent (3 stone walls with one side open to ocean plus cots) and thatch roofs (6 bucks a night) and a couple cozier and more expensive cabanas (fairly well equipped). Communal flush toilets and hot showers. Right on the beach. No web page.

The big boon at their place is, of course, proximity to the turtles which they keep in three large open air pools. My little guy visited them 1-2 daily and loved it. The place tends to attract a lot of folks interested in helping out with the turtles - so when we've visited there have been groups of marine bio students, etc.

It's also an easy trip into town - especially close to our favorite restaurant - las Hamacas - they'll cook up your fish for you if you're to tired. Mojo al ajo - yum. great beans too - I mean it. I'm a bean snob.

[Edited on 1-13-2004 by burritomama]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 09:42 AM

I wasn't aware that the sea turtle camp was open to the general public, otherwise not associated with a group working with the turtles. Is it open all year? What time of year does the turtle "work" occur? Can you just drop in and help out with a turtle project? Thanks for the info.
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 10:40 AM
turtle project

We have visited at different times during the year. There is a sign on the gate, directing you to their home if they aren't at the site. I don't think they have a specific visiting schedule. They aren't always on site or home so check back if you miss them. I take my Biology field lab students for a couple of hours each year to hear about the program. It is interesting. Some students have arranged to return to spend time working with them.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 01:52 PM

There is the possibility of college spring breakers all over LA Bay in mid April.
:o:o:o:o:o:o:P:o:o:o:o:o:o
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 03:12 PM

Great place to take the kids!......If they want to get up close and personal with the turtles watch the tides, take them out there at high tide and let them get involved with the cleaning...the kids (young adults) there let anyone willing to help, clean them.....and then, since you are so close....take a run out to La Gringa and swim with the Whale Sharks...don't know how old your kids are, or how much they have been around something like all of this....but, you might do a project before you go so they might understand and not be scared, Whale Sharks are kind of like Orcas or Dolphins....they like to interact with humans and they are BIG! Might scare little ones if the aren't prepared. Have Fun!
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the input. Have contacted Gecko hope we can get in due to Semana Santa. Will have to take a drive to see the whale sharks and the turtles. Thanks :biggrin::biggrin:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2004 at 04:43 PM

The Whale Sharks are only around between July and September. I think.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.