BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: When kicking back in camp, what are your favorite games?
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 11:15 AM
Dk you brought back a great memory

When we lived in Mulege we would have dinner and then clean up and play a couple games of Jenga. Then we would pour ourselves our favorite drink and Mike and I and our next door neighbor Morris would take our chairs our in front and count satillites. We had to see ten before we went to bed. Some nights were easy some nights we were up later than usual. We'd tell stories and have a little local gossip thrown in for good measure. I was a wonderful relaxing time. Made sleeping real easy. Life was good.k:yes::yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 11:27 AM

Really, a great game to play is Bocce Ball. You toss a lime to mark your spot and then use oranges or grapefruit as your bocci balls. Great fun on the beach.
One great thing about bocci ball is you always have a free hand to hold your beer.
:yes:
Bob H

[Edited on 2-26-2007 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 12:04 PM

I was just about to add Bocci Ball to the list, especiaslly fun when played in sand dunes! For "sit-down" games I love a good game of Dommies!:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 12:31 PM

we just played a game called holey board...beach game

HOLEY BOARD RULES AND REGULATIONS

1.Official boards are to be placed nine (9) feet apart.

2.Challenger throws first at the beginning of the game.

3.Last scorer throws first on subsequent rounds. The team who makes the last washer of
the round, regardless if it was a point or a cover, that team will shoot first the next round.

4.You MUST throw from the top surface of the board for points to count. If you step off
the board as a result of the throwing motion, it is considered a fault and the washer will
not count for scoring or covering.

5.The scoring will be: nearest hole = 1, middle hole = 3, and farthest hole = 5.

6.The washers must fall completely through the hole in order to be counted. Hanging
washers do not count.

7.The game is over of one of the players/team reaches EXACTLY 21 at the end of a round.
If both teams reach 21 on the same round, the game starts over at ZERO (0). If you pass
21, you are busted and must continue your score at the amount that you go over 21 by.
Example (You have 19 and score a 5, you will count 20, 21, 1, 2, 3) and start your
scoring at 3. If you are busted twice, you lose.

8.Washers count only if they are not covered by an opponent. i.e., Red has three washers in
the 3 hole, and white has two washers in the 3 hole. Red would score 3 points. White 0
points.

9.If you reach 21 and have washers remaining, you must throw them, and they MUST LAND AND STAY ON TOP OF THE BOARD!
Failing to do this will negate the washers that caused you to reach 21.
It may not be counted for the win but it is still
counted as a cover against you opponent.

10.Washers that strike the ground first and land on top of the board or land in a hole are not counted and must be removed. Once a washer falls off the top surface of the board it is not in play. If a washer lands in a hole and bounces out of that same hole it is not
counted as a point.

OFFICIAL HOLEY BOARD DETAILS
1.Length = 4'
2.Width = 1'
3.Hole diameter = 4 ˝?
4.Spacing = 3 ˝? from top and between each hole
5.Support = 2? X 2? or 2? X 4? between each hole
6.Platform minimum ˝? plywood
7.Surface = short nap closed loop pile carpet
8.Washers 3 ˝? outside diameter

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 12:48 PM

My campo crew is somewhat disfunctional.:O Down deep in the swamps the best game was "survivor". :O Getting down and dirty before the coffee is ready. Nothing like a knock-down-drag-out before sunrise.:bounce: Beats the heck out checkers.:biggrin:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 10:52 PM
I hope the drinks were good, and plentiful

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
When we lived in Mulege we would have dinner and then clean up and play a couple games of Jenga. Then we would pour ourselves our favorite drink and Mike and I and our next door neighbor Morris would take our chairs our in front and count satillites. We had to see ten before we went to bed. Some nights were easy some nights we were up later than usual. We'd tell stories and have a little local gossip thrown in for good measure. I was a wonderful relaxing time. Made sleeping real easy. Life was good.k:yes::yes:

Most satelites are only visible for an hour or so after sunset. At the middle latitudes (think Baja) this is even more of a problem.

This is due to the sun reflecting off the outer skin, prior to the bird passing into the earth's shadow, much like a daily eclipse.

Thus, you probably had good success for the first hour, then the regularity of viewing was somewhat dependent on the intake and/or consumption of the libations.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 11:25 PM

So what are those faint lights crossing the night sky? We saw them from La Ventana at around 9PM. Too slow to be shooting stars (which we also see by the way). Could they be airline jets? They seem to be too high, but you do lose your sense of distance in the darkness.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 01:55 AM
Satellite spotting

Serious satellite spotters utilize lounge chairs so they can recline supine and avoid the crick-in-the neck that's so common amongst the Beachchair viewing participants.

Prime viewing time in the Baja Sur summer begins around 7:30, with the last stragglers of the night fading in and out til about 9pm.

The game begins whenever the first "satellite!" of the evening is exclaimed. A spotter may have to give the trajectory or sky landmarks to allow "Confirmation" of the siting by the other players. Clues such as " it's now approaching the lid of the Broken Box" or "coming up on the shiny, twinkly one" are helpful locators.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am very often the beach or camp champion satellite spotter. My specialty are the the Geostationary ones that riddle the night sky in the Baja desert. ;D
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:54 AM

SPOTTING SATELLITES

This is one of my favorite things to do also. I've sat watching for them for hours in San Felipe. I have spotted as many as 25 in one evening. And, I've been able to spot them until at least 9 or 10 pm. As oladuce pointed out, if you're in a match to see who can find the most, it's sometimes very difficult to give directions so that your opponents can see and verify them.

Miguelamo :saint:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 07:38 AM

Baja Golf--we brought golf clubs one year--teed off at the point and had to hit onto the beach for the first "hole"...after two more holes working our way down the beach we had to go back into the desert to go behind another point to reach the salt flat "green". The desert part was hard because of the ball hitting rocks and bouncing all over...we lost most of the balls going through the desert part. The couple of us that made it to the salt flat then played into some dunes for a couple holes then back through the desert the way we came in--lost the rest of the balls there and thus ended the first and last Baja Golf round!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:25 AM
Favorite Game???

Slingshots and marbles of course!
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:36 AM

The childrens board game SORRY, simple enough and still allows for some alliances and backstabbing.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:48 AM

Weight lifting. Twelve ounce weights (or less), many, many repetitions.
After lots of lifting it is then possible to play write your name in the sand and hike down the beach and try to remember the way back to camp.
burro bob
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 12:48 PM

Horseshoes.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:02 PM

There's a few things we do to keep ourselves occupied...

We take bets on where the moon will come up over the south end of the bay.

Bocci Ball

Kamikaze Scorpion

Who's shoes melt first

Let's go find the cow grave yard in the dark

Let's go find the Las Flores cemetary in the dark

Body painting when the bioluminescence is going off

Squid lamp scary underwater creature identification ( imagination really takes over on this game)

Before electricity..taking the panga out to watch the town generator go off.

And of course, satellite veiwing

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:44 AM

THINGS I LIKE TO DO WHILE KICKING BACK IN CAMP…or AT HOME

I wrote in an earlier posting that I enjoy a relaxing night of Satellite Spotting. And, while I enjoy an evening relaxing around a camp fire with a cold Pacifico, there’s also a couple of GAMES which I enjoy playing with friends and family.

Our family has been playing these 2 games for about 20 years and we play them EVERY time we’re together for any type of family get together. They’re both SIMPLE to learn and very FUN. Another GREAT thing about both these games is, that you can still visit and socialize while playing them. And, for those of you who want quality family time, both games can be played by the whole family - including young kids. Over the years, we’ve taught these games to many friends, and they’ve all enjoyed them..

DICE GAME - There’s no fancy name for this game, our family has always just called it DICE. It can be played by 2 or more players - we’ve played it with 10 or more players at one time. While fun and easy to play, it can still be very competitive.

TO PLAY - The game is played with 6 dice. You score by rolling the dice, and points are scored based on the value of your rolls. We play to 10,000 points.

POLISH POKER card game - The title of this game may not be politically correct, but it’s another fun and simple to learn game. It can be played by 2 or more players - with multiple decks, we’ve played with 10 or more. Kids as young as 4 or 5 enjoy playing it.

TO PLAY - Each player is dealt 4 cards, but picks up only 2 to start. You draw and discard, trying to get the lowest possible score - based on the values of the cards. The game ends when a player reaches 100 points. The winner is the player with the lowest score.

Miguelamo :D
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 12:36 PM

We play a few games including frisbee golf but the cactus spines get stuck in the rim of the frisbee. Then they poke your finger on the next shot. Take turns picking the next hole.
We are not great at casting conventional fishing gear so we practice by having casting competitions for shots of reposado. winner and loser get shots.
We've also played throw the football in an upright trash can and this is harder then you think. Typically we just sit on our ass and drink.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 12:56 PM

That Holey game is real fun and can be played by most all ages. Not a game that men can necessarily dominate, either, so it's very inclusive.

I have a buddy that bought a pre-made one at Quartzite a few years back. It wasnt cheap at 50 dollars, but it was nicely made.

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:51 PM

yahtzee, bocci ball, horseshoes, and at night, satellite sightings
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-27-2007 at 01:57 PM

Amo, In your dice game, do you need to roll a 1 or 5 to keep rolling? If so, it is another of my favs and we always called it "farkle".Thats what ya say when you do not roll a 1 or 5! Fast moving game makes:biggrin: it fun!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.