Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amigos de Baja still alive & well , in spirt at least
Fang
Junior Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 2-25-2007 at 02:22 PM
Amigos de Baja still alive & well , in spirt at least

We still watch even though we seldom post. The old Bajanet/Amigos just became too much work & it was actually cutting into our fishing time.....that could not be allowed!

It really started with me taking on the task of informing a group of fellow fishermen on the fishing situation on the peninsula via FAX on a weekly basis. There was no problem except the group size started growing & many of the group moved outside the 714 area code area where we are based. Then those FAX's started becoming toll calls .

Eric & Trish were going together at the time at the time & both were in the computer business. At an El Toro air show in 1992 or 93 we talked about the problem & they decided to substitute a web-site for the FAX system. Within a month it was up & running. The only people who were aware of it were the original 65 - 70 fishermen we communicated with. But slowly it became evident a lot more folks were taking a peek. The message board was added & then it became clear the site had taken on a life of it's own.

It continued to grow for the next 10 years until we made a decision to shut it down. By then it was getting 130,000 hits a month. The demands on our time were growing with our employment responsibilities and the web-site continued to demand more & more attention. It had grown to be a general Baja website with travel, weather, governmental info. and many other aspects of Baja life.

The decision to shut down hinged on two aspects for the process.

There were a growing number of brain damaged jerks who saw the Discussion Board as a vehicle to espouse there childish & inane theories & ideas.

There was another group who saw the site as an opportunity to take political stands & either bad mouth Mexico and Baja, or flame away in opposition to them.

We did not care to enable either group. As a result, we took the site down & we now get to enjoy our time in Baja.

We dearly miss all the friends we made because of the Amigos Bd., but don't miss the demands & frustrations of being "married" to it on a weekly basis.

History is a great teacher. Be aware that if such BS were to overtake the Nomads, Doug might be inclined to spend his time on other pleasures!!!!!!!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 04:26 PM
God!

I saw the handle Fang and flashed back. Thanks for posting and even more thanks for you you did way back when
Amigos de la Placa

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 08:31 PM

I wasn't sure if 'Fang' wanted to expose himself, so earlier I did not attach the handle to the 'Father of Amigos de Baja' when I said one of them was a Nomad!

Great to hear your input Earle... and hope to see you and Eric again soon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 09:36 PM

Thank you very much Earle,

Your site was absolutely great!

We (I) miss you and are hoping you the best of everything!

Therianthropic
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-25-2007 at 09:42 PM

Uh, David, not evryone knew that "Fang" was Earle.I for one, did not know that and I was an "Amigo" since 2002, as Msal. What a great service and much sacrifice of time the Robatilles gave to us !! I remember when they were going to shut down and I think I may have had an anxiety attack.Then you came and told us "where to go"!!LOL!! It was the Bajanomad.com!! Thanks Earle, Trish, Eric and finally Doug for keeping our internet community alive! As David says....Viva Baja!!!:biggrin:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 08:53 AM
Very appreciative

I've enjoyed reading about the different contributions that Amigos made to share the knowledge they had. I think it's important to keep in mind where we come from and give credit to "pioneers" that have made this board possible. Also wise to heed cautions about what makes a board not work. Thanks to everyone who has put in their two cents in describing their experiences with Amigos.

\"You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent them from nesting in your hair.\"
Swedish proverb
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 09:13 AM

Thanks Earle, I remember when amigos was just a fishing page. Too bad you didn't just leave it at that. Lots of great fishermen back then. Cabo captian, Zig Zag, I miss those guys. I figured Stephanie jackster and what is Nancy Drew here, just got to be too much for you.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:09 AM
Amigos

Hola al Amigos, I still have a new T-Shirt an Bumper Sticker from the past. Use to ck the board every A.M. even before reading the local paper, was Great, Nomad is also. Garry
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 02:02 PM

To me there was a handfull ( less than 10 ) people who should of been banned and all would have fine......I have seen a little of that here also and never understand why they are allowed to continue....
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 04:19 PM
Earle

Getting ready to buy a new vehicle and trying to figure out how to remove my Amigos de Baja sticker so I can put it on the new one.
I came to your site late in the game but sure enjoyed it and most of the folks...................even wrote a poem about its demise and the impact it had on many of us.

[Edited on 2-26-2007 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 12:46 AM

Hello Earle,

Good to hear that you are enjoying life and getting to spend time fishing and relaxing in Baja!!!

Many of us owe a great deal of thanks to you, Eric and Trish for enriching our Baja experience. I'm thankful I saw you at Fred Hall's in LB and got the card with the Amigos URL.

Best Baja Wishes and Tight Lines to you guys!!
Amo Pescar ... Michael Curtiss (HBHS 68) :yes:
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 04:51 PM

I will always be grateful that someone told me six years ago to check out the Amigos de Baja website. Meeting the Amigos helped me satisfy my personal Jones to spend more time in Baja without constantly pestering my other friends to come with me. Also I learned a vast amount of knowledge that has come in handy in so many ways. Also, I was convinced to buy the best Baja vehicle ever--my old 4Runner! My first trip with the Amigos was our jaunt to Guadalupe Canyon. I was just looking up the photos for a shot of Mike Humphreville so I posted them on my photo website. You can see them by clicking here if interested.
http://intrepidfisherfamily.com/Album15/

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2007 at 07:53 PM

That's right Marla... You were along for the third group trip in the Viva Baja Tours 4WD van...

The photo of Sarah (then 11) in the El Mirador hot tub was used on your front page trip article in the OC Register June 16, 2002.

The web page about that trip, which featured your photos is at http://vivabaja.com/bbbb2 (It was M's BBBB #2 party)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 10:16 PM

I still have my Amigos de Baja stickers. Truly priceless...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 10:20 PM

Ken, I believe you guys were camping with Hotschott and Val at La Paloma during BBBB-2... yes?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.