BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hiking trails central Baja?
iclarke

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 09:47 AM
hiking trails central Baja?

Hello,
I am going to be travelling Baja for the first time this march. I have about two and a half weeks to do so. I am looking to do a lot of camping and hiking in central Baja. I was wondering if any of you more experienced hikers could suggest some trails. I have all the neccesary gear (i.e. water filter, light weight three season tent, first aid and emergency gear). I am going to be traveling with a friend who isalso packing well. Also, are there any good camps to check out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:12 AM

If you could be a little more specific -- where in central Baja would you be starting from? How would you get there? Dayhiking or multi-day backpack? Why central baja? If you're talking about general camping and hiking, get a good map of Baja and keep your eyes open. You'll quickly figure out that you can go down a dirt road, find a nice spot to camp, go day hiking from there, and have the whole place to yourselves. As to as any hiking trails - the kind you're used to seeing mapped with a dotted line through a National park -- they don't exist. Take a compass and leave markers for yourself so you don't get lost (cairns, branches --NOT plastic colored streamers). If you're on a quest to find old mines, hike from missions, see rock art sites, canyons, etc. - the map will provide those clues for starting points.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 10:17 AM

Ditto what wilderone said, although there are quite a lot of well-trod cattle trails which can lead to interesting places as well as watering holes.

[Edited on 2-27-2007 by Mexitron]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iclarke
I was wondering if any of you more experienced hikers could suggest some trails.

Best hiking/backpacking is in San Pedro Martir park. Get the map by Jerry Schad - has climbing route/trail descriptions (available thru the big map store in San Diego - sorry, forgot name). I suggest hiking south and SW of the observatory, but north of observatory is nice too. I also suggest taking a GPS unit and compass, because the area is riddled with cattle trails, and it is difficult to follow mapped hiking trails as the cows have taken over (and so few people visit) (even w/ map, all hikes require moderately-skilled navigation and bushwahacking). March in SPM is generally OK weather. Can get a snow or rain at that time of year, but if weather forecast is favorable, go for it. Nights in March will still be freezing above 5,000 ft elevation, but fire wood is plentiful - days will still be cool (40s to 60s max). I've been there in March and April and had the entire park to myself. If you are in good shape, the canyons on the east side are incredible places to hike, and climb up El Diablo is kick ass (look at Sierra Club trip reports to get ideas about how to climb El Diablo). But canyon hikes and peak climbs generally involve bushwhacking and elevation gains/losses >4,000 ft vertical, so be in shape before you try. East and north facing canyons above 8,000 ft elevation may be snow filled in March.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 05:32 PM

The San Pedro Martir is a good idea, beautiful place, but you'll pretty much be getting a Sierra forest experience, not the central Baja desert experience of Boojums and Cardons, if that's what you're after.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 06:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with mtgoato and mexitron....... San Pedro Martir in March can be fickeked and always beautiful and remote. You will need a water filter as well ther are so many stray cows around and other animals contaminating water sources.One good old desert foot travelers trick which you may not be aware of if you want to extend the life of your filter( one can clog their filter at first goaround) and not have it clog is to find an old style of colapseble bucket.The old ones were waterproof canvas but the more modern ones are poly vinyl. 1 to 2 gallon size. Fill that with water before you turn in at night and let the junk and silt and sand and whatever settle to the bottom and then pour cleaner water off into another cookware pot and then use your hand fiter and filter that water.Also if you have time and don't mind driving south to Todos Santos, there is De La Laguna, Natl. Park. It is a true gem. Very interesting topography. You can find descriptions of hiking trails in various guide books.The weather would be downright hot there day time temps and much cooler eves. The scenery is incomparable and rarely will you see other people. The trails are very easy to follw there. Good hiking to you.Have a safe trip.;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 07:08 PM

EL CAMINO REAL!!! I have maps and how to find web pages on VivaBaja.com!

This does need some planning... this month is almost over...

Go to San Borja and contact Jose there... Great guides to show you the mission trails, petroglyphs and more!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.