BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: tri-di-panels ( foam homes )
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2007 at 12:32 PM
tri-di-panels ( foam homes )

I seen two (2) foam houses going up in Pescadero, south of Todos Santos recently. Anybody have any info or experience with "Tridipanels". Foam panels made in San Diego I believe.
zaboomafoohotw

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 05:24 PM

Apprently they have been building them down south for some time - check out the manufacturer's website - this is the link to four projects they did in Baja - http://www.tridipanel.com/index.php?option=com_content&t... -

This next link is one of the homes featured on the website - http://www.bajabungalows.com/ - apparently built in 1995? Anyway, my question is how difficult is it to get these materials into Baja - I would like to build a SIP panel home (similar, but the foam is sandwiched between two sheets of plywood). If you have any info on transporting the panels to Mexico I would be interested.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 05:42 PM

They are available at material stores in San Felipe.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 05:49 PM

What about the availability of shotcrete contractors or are they all built with troweled on concrete?

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 08:58 AM

We are having our home built of Tridipanels. Our builder has the equipment and team. I watched another project,as they applied the shotcrete. It can be trowled,but shotcrete is much faster. We are in Loreto,and there are a couple contractors here that do the Tripanel construction. We are using San Bruno Constructores. I will try to post as cunstruction progresses.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 09:43 AM
hdn2mx,

those 2 projects are in my neighborhood, i will be down next week and plan on dropping in to chat with the crews. if i learn anything ill let you know.
bajabeachbabe
Nomad

Mood: Loving life

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 05:25 PM

I think Tri-d is the way to go. We plan to build our house in Loreto using this system and were pleased to find that there are quite a few projects completed or underway. Besides being hurricane proof, fire proof, insect proof, and earthquake proof (a newly appreciated feature) it has a much better insulation factor than concrete block or adobe http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif
:P

The quote we received for building was not much more than concrete block and the buildings go up soooo fast with this product. We watched the building of the new unit at Las Cabanas de Loreto using Tri-d and we were amazed at how quickly the structure was complete. I believe also some of the units at Coco Cabanas are built with Tri-d.

U2U me If you are interested in getting a contact for the contractor we are planning to use.
Denver
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rollin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 07:10 PM

Can anyone explain how the roof structure works with the foam panels? I imagine they still need a few reinforced concrete beams and then infill with the panels? photos would be awesome.

thanks

The Declaration of Independence only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 08:26 PM
there seems to be two

construction methods. one where the the structure is built with steel and concrete posts and beams, and the foam panels just fill in the spaces. and the second method where the concrete covered foam is taking a load. the foam panels are load bearing.... the projects ive watched are reaaaaallllly slow. i dont think its a inexpensive way to build....but i like the idea of it.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 09:36 PM

Pac Bob
We are considering this process for a future building. As a contractor who does his own steel and foundation work the panels seemed very easy to tie up and coat from what I've been able to research. I know there may be some issues as to how much of the work I could actually do in Mex.
Do you think the progress is do to lack of knowledge or ability, or just the slow pace of things in general?
The reports from Loreto seem very positive as to speed of construction. Once you got the structure errected, getting one of the crews from Loreto to come over and shoot it would only take money, right?

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 06:58 AM

I like the Rastra building system myself--no need to apply the shotcrete--and these go up fast, so I'm told.

www.rastra.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 07:08 AM

i couldn't remember the name...
that RASTRA is comming down on double trailer trucks by the boatfull...

this stuff looks OUTSTANDING!!!

you put rebar down the holes w/concrete...
lay rebar across with concrete

now you are structurly (sp) sound AND insulated AND....
NO wood for the BUGS!!!

you can tell i'm a REAL builder uh???:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 02:13 PM
Tri-D Panel Construction

We are having our house,here in Loreto,built of Tri-D panels. Our builder tells us he can build it in four months. The slab is being poured tomorrow,and the panels are to be delivered this week. It will be a small house(under 1300 sq. ft.),so we are hoping it can be done in that time. Will post pics of progress. This is the foundation.
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 02:18 PM

Oooops! First try at posting pics failed!
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 03:23 PM
Tri-D Panel Construction

Second attempt!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 12:35 AM
i think the slow

progress of the 2 projects ive been watching has more to due with the forman of the crew being absent than it does with the process being used. ..im always amazed to note how labor intensive an ordinary block structure is....like anywhere, as soon as the formans truck goes around the bend, the shovel leaning starts.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 08:24 AM

RASTRA SLABS,

Seems like some contractors here at Loreto Bay have gone to this type of construction and did away with their " environment friendly " adobe block. To build just an outside wall out of the adobe seemed to take forever and with all the stucco redos, it seemed the plaster wouldn't adhere to it.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 08:34 AM

"progress of the 2 projects ive been watching has more to due with the forman of the crew being absent than it does with the process being used. ..im always amazed to note how labor intensive an ordinary block structure is....like anywhere, as soon as the formans truck goes around the bend, the shovel leaning starts."

How about your own live web cam to show everybody the progress anytime they want to look?
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 03:35 PM
tri-di panels

I believe the tri-di panels are produced in Mexicali. That would be cool to have a live web cam at a construction site to watch the progress.
bk
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 01:36 PM
Rastra

I just received the video CD from them and man is that stuff slick and I got a quote for materials for a 2400 sq ft house shipped to San Diego , where it would have to be off loaded and reshipped to Baja. All the wall elements and corners were under $15,000, but you need rebar, the slurry and depending on roof the roof stringers. but, it goes up quick and has an r-50 factor, takes stucco or stone for finish just like concrete, can be cut with a hand or chain saw, and can be shaped to meet any curve, arch , circle etc. I'm impressed and I'm sending my architect the video.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.