Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: In Juncalito Bay?
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 10:17 AM
In Juncalito Bay?

An elderly gentleman friend of mine said he had heard about a sunken airplane in deep water surrounding the small island(name escapes me right now) in Juncaltio. Of all the years I have been going,living there, I have never heard this story,from locals or otherwise. If anyone should know about this, I would think it would be Skeet! :?:Anyone else have a take on this? I told my friend I would ask the folks at Nomad!! Thanks, Sally
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 03:59 PM
Check the Baja Adventure Book

I think the Baja Adventure Book mentions that.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2004 at 10:58 PM
Perchance?

Arthur, would you have that book? I'm leaving soon for quite some time and won't have the time to get the book. Can you get the info for me? (even just that bit of info would help!) Thanks, Sally
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 01:48 AM

Sally, I just took a quick look, and didn't see any mention of a plane wreck. There is a ship wreck a half mile off the salt pier on Carmen Island and many underwater caves mentioned. For that reason alone, I would get a copy of Peterson's book for your trip. Discover Baja has them in San Diego and the museum in Bahia de los Angeles, as well... if you don't have time to order from the Internet. Have fun!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 10:54 AM
David,

We have been to that wreck off Carmen by the old salt mine. Great diving there!Thanks for taking the time to look for that info on the plane. I did'nt think so..just found out Juanita has Petersons book down there. I'll be back in May probably but will send you Nomad/Amigos a report whenever I get some interesting stuff to tell you from down there. Trying to plan a trip to see the whales with Sara (Jimmys daughter) but not sure if we can afford it. Take care, Sally
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 10:38 PM

Thanks Sally, I will look forward to your reports from www.ElFuerte.com and DO see the whales! Viva Baja!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 06:08 PM

Sally: I will check and let you Know. The only sunken Aircraft I "Know" about is off the runway at Punta Chivato. A Twin Engine Cessna 310 could be seen for several years but is now completely covered. I saw the outline of the plane in 1969. The N.T. S.B. does not show a listing of an accident at Juanilito. Maybe Dave Deal Jimmys Friend would know about it.
Skeet/Loreto
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 09:32 PM

I started going to Juncilito approximately 5 years ago and have made several trips since then. On one trip I camped on the beach for over 2 weeks. It was on this trip that I heard rumor of a crashed plane in the water off of the beach here. During all of my trips I have fished with Jose Torres, his sons, or relatives. Jose and his family have lived in Juncilito most of their lives. I asked if the story was true and he said yes. He then showed me the site. He stopped the panga approx. 100 yards south of the little rock island as you are exiting the bay. He stated that he believed it was a twin engine plane with a female pilot that went down there and lost her life. He was young when it happened and couldn't recall exactly what year it was. Bob Riffle
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 11:20 PM
Bob

Did you ever see anything under the water that may indicate a wreck of any sorts? I guess we will have to dive the area just to see if the story is true or? I've known Jose and his family for (oh my!)about thirty years. My Parents, brother, daughter, etc.... Our first guide back in the 70's in Juncalito was Sr. Ramon Villalegos(sp),father of 15 and passed away many years ago. What a wonderful man Ramon was! So, I could go on and on, but Jose knows the spot! I will be there soon and will have to get him to show me/us this downed plane ! It should be an artficial reef by now. Thanks Bob for that very interesting tidbit of info!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 12:23 AM
Ramon Villalejo of Juncalito

Ramon took us out fishing in 1973, a great guy! His photo is on the front cover of the guidebook I wrote in 1974, holding the dorado my mom caught! http://community-2.webtv.net/VivaBaja/dkbook The cover photo is large, slow to open, but you can recognize Ramon.

[Edited on 1-30-2004 by David K]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 09:11 AM

Saslly: Another person that might have the information is Bill and Betty Riffee who still live in the Round House on the Beach next to the Capt. De Porta. they have been there since building the House in 1972. Bill kept his Plane {Twin Beech} at the Airport for many years. I will email him and see if I can find out. Skeet/Loreto
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 01:57 PM
David!

Wow, that gave me goosebumps! I have a picture of Ramon and my Dad and Juanita when she was about 5 yrs old on the beach at Carmen and Ramon is holding a Dorado that she caught(same size as she was). Thanks for the memories! He sure was a special man, soft spoken and honest.I'll never forget the time I stepped on a Sculpin in the rocks at Juncalito and Ramon got in a little dingy and roared out to the little island, collected some plant of some sort, came back to the beach, started a little fire and juggled the plant between his hands over the fire until it was hot. He then put it on the spot where the Sculpin had "stung" me and within minutes, all the pain that had traveled up to my hip,by then, disappeared !! Do'nt know what ever became of his wife, Elotia. He will always have a special place in my heart and the rest of my families' as well! Sally
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-30-2004 at 02:16 PM
that info will be available to those who can find him

via the most famous aeroplane salvager, accident investigator and all around downed plane rescuer, one Art Willis, who Jimmy speaks (spoke) of as the best baja pilot who ever lived, and he still does, he was talking pictures at the pyramid book fair last may. Coming from Jimmy that's quite a compliment, but the Don told me quietly with Art off in the distance,
"Art's abilities as a pilot are without peer. He'd go in and out of places i wouldn't touch on rescues and salvages, and never bat so much as an eye! The man has steel nerves and bleeds 80/87 octane fuel!"

I don't know how to reach Art, he lives retired in socal or maybe baja. Keri might if he stayed there, bernie might or i can e mail his one time assistant, Eli Espinosa who last heard lived in Prescott az.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 02:25 PM
Capt. Mike

I guess it will remain a mystery until I get there and do some real digging around for the location, more info etc.I think it would take scuba gear to find it and I have never done it(Juanita has tho!).Thanks and look for my posts from Loreto,leaving in two days for four months! Besos, Msal
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 05:00 PM
i'll be down in 2 weeks 13-15, and again a week

after that on whales trip 20-22 then twice in marzo. maybe see you, want to go to lopez?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 05:50 PM
Capt Mike

I think you know the answer to that question! Are you coming to Loreto? You know I've never seen the whales! I'm leaving early Thurs, morn but you can emial me at the Elfuerte addy. I check my mail every day while there. Send it to Juanitamiller@elfuerte.com until I get my own email set up there. I'd do just about anything to go to Lopez!! Please keep in touch. If you want the phone # at home just e-me and we can chat!! Thanks Capt! Sal:bounce:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 06:54 PM
Plane wreckage at Juncalito

The information is indeed in Peterson's Adventure Book. This information is from the book: The "story" is that about 1951 an American man and his wife flew 2 "B-24 Bombers" carrying tomatos to La Paz, but turned back in a rare fog. The woman's plane ran out of fuel and she crashed...tomato crates washed ashore for weeks.
The wreckage is a twin engine in 22 ft of water on a cobble slope 75 yards from Isla Chuenque. Over the wreck the island will bear 342?. Lots of parts, engines, etc. are supposedly scattered over the area. Peterson speculates it is a DC-3. I have dived all around this island, but encountered no plane (but wasn't looking either) Let us know if you find it. Jack Swords
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:39 PM
Good info

Thanks Jack, and I will be doing research about this subject. Fortunately, my in-laws, ex-hubby and brother all have propety there, and I believe all will be there during my stay. All I have to do is plant this "question" in the minds of these people and I'll bet we will come up with something! Again, Muchas Gracias, Sally( and yes, I will keep you posted!)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
via the most famous aeroplane salvager, accident investigator and all around downed plane rescuer, one Art Willis, who Jimmy speaks (spoke) of as the best baja pilot who ever lived, and he still does, he was talking pictures at the pyramid book fair last may. Coming from Jimmy that's quite a compliment, but the Don told me quietly with Art off in the distance,
"Art's abilities as a pilot are without peer. He'd go in and out of places i wouldn't touch on rescues and salvages, and never bat so much as an eye! The man has steel nerves and bleeds 80/87 octane fuel!"

I don't know how to reach Art, he lives retired in socal or maybe baja. Keri might if he stayed there, bernie might or i can e mail his one time assistant, Eli Espinosa who last heard lived in Prescott az.
Apparently word got around?

New signup today:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/member.php?action=viewpro&member...

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 11:43 PM
Sally... re Juncalito Stone Wall

If you get a chance, check out the mysterious wall at Juncalito that may date back to the mission-era. I have a photo of it from Jack Swords, which I just put into a new web page of Jack's non-mission photos: http://community-2.webtv.net/DrDrip/swords

I missed the airplane note in Peterson's or it was emitted in the latest edition, I was using... What page in what edition, Jack?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.