Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Death Valley anyone?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 12:44 PM
Death Valley anyone?

With the move of the SF 250, our plans changed in favor of a stateside destination......Death Valley and Panamint Valley. Right now plans are for hitting Ballarat, Wildrose, Mesquite Springs with some dispersed camping thrown in, too.

Any Nomads gonna be there the week of March 10-17?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-5-2007 at 02:35 PM
Hooked on Death Valley

Hook,

Sorry for the pun. :lol:We try to go to DV each Presidents Weekend. We did this year.

We also like The Racetrack, Saline Valley, Darwin Falls, and Titus Canyon. By the way Titus was open 3 weeks ago. If you haven't done that trip you should.

Enjoy your trip. Attached is a photo I took this year at Zabriski's Point.

Ken

[Edited on 3-5-2007 by tripledigitken]

Zabriski 1 RESIZED.jpg - 28kB
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 02:57 PM

Ken, how washboarded was the road from Ubehebe to the Racetrack?

Did you take the Lippincott Road up or did you come in/go down to Saline Valley by way of Hidden Valley/Hunter Mtn?

I love DV!!!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 03:06 PM

Hook,

This trip was on road motorcycles. No offroading this time.

It has been 3 years since we went to the Racetrack. We came in from the north (Ubehebe) and exited out through to the south end of Saline Valley. Sorry I don't remember what that exit road was called.

The road was like a 25 mile run into Punta Chivato! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

We have been to DV at least 10 times and were still scratching off to do's each time. What a great destination, especially when you can get offroad.

I want to get up to "Charlies" Ranch sometime also. (the Manson hideout from the 70's)

Have fun.

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 03:10 PM

25 miles of PC road???? That sounds like washboard to me. That road always is.

I think we are going to Charlie's Hideout this time.

I, too, have probably spent 30 days total in the Valley and the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the info.

[Edited on 3-5-2007 by Hook]

leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 03:18 PM

I was at the racetrack over New Years weekend, and the road conditions were very good. The higher elevations did have a little snow. Also did Cerro Gordo, Darwin Falls, Surprise Canyon, Skidoo. DV is a very cool place.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leadmoto
I was at the racetrack over New Years weekend, and the road conditions were very good. The higher elevations did have a little snow. Also did Cerro Gordo, Darwin Falls, Surprise Canyon, Skidoo. DV is a very cool place.

Hey, thanks guy.

I had read that there was snow preventing access to the Barker Ranch in January. Hopefully that will not be an issue this time.

Valley floor temps are gonna be smokin' next week, according to predictions. We may try and stay above 2000 feet at least.

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 05:38 PM

Hook, if staying above 2000 ft, Mesquite campground = workable. depending on what u plan on doing. March give good flowers up various washes. going to immigrants pass always fun to the charcoal kilns, mahogany flats 8000' mark = cold.
Have u tried the road off of west side to the striped buttes? Great 4x4 and good pay off at the end. Several cabins up there that are on a first come first serve basis. Also a home for sale ' ex manson territory :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:. The race track is a good hangout, washboard road but with aired down tires a good run. North of that are the eureka dunes leading to saline valley with the hot pools, good soaking possible with some wine? Ballart is okay but very popular. Try further north towards hidden valley. Good climb with ur car, depending on what type of car u have. 4x4 is a good thing. Have plenty of photos which can share depending on what ur looking for. Titus canyon at this time of year may be difficult, heat, rain, or time when rangers begin shutting down various backroads because they dont' want to check them. I'm traveled in DV for 25 yrs, gladly answer any questions u might have. Good luck and enjoy. I'll be in DV in May for a couple of weeks. Love the play. Take plenty of water / beer and a partner.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, Bajalover.

I was really just looking for some road info into the racetrack here. We are definitely staying at Mesquite Springs CG for a few nights; it's easily the best improved CG in DV. We are in an F350 4x4 with a cabover so we will use it's capabilites as a base camp. Accompanying us will be a Tundra four-by that we will use to day use areas, including Titus/Rhyolite, Racetrack, Goler, Darwin Falls, the Kilns, etc.

Doubt we will head up to the Striped Butte area, but maybe. I expect it's pretty washboarded, too, huh? It's about the only area of the park I havent seen. Been all the way out along the Amargosa River past Saratoga Spring, though.

Because we are bringing our dog and want to turn him loose occasionally (and we know that's a BIG no-no in DV), we are looking for some remote boondocking spots in the vicinity of Furnace Creek for when we are showing my wife the more touristy spots down there. Considering driving off on a few roads east of Furnace Creek on 190. There are a couple near Travertine Spring and there are many mining roads off the Dante's View road.

Are you familiar with any legal remote camping with a half hour drive of Furnace Creek? The remote camping is much more liberalized than it was many years ago when I hit DV regularly.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 09:15 PM

I am heading to San Felipe/Ensenada tuesday thru late Saturday night.....been wanting to do Titus canyon and a quick Death valley tour this spring.....might be able to make it for a couple of days.....need to consult with my other half ......:spingrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2007 at 10:00 PM

Keep me posted, Jim.

We are leaving around 7am on Saturday. I have traveled most all the areas so let me know what you're interested in and I can advise.

Titus is best near sunrise, IMO.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2007 at 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I love DV!!!

Me too. It's our favorite desert north of baja. We always go there during the Christmas holidays. It's usually the warmest place in California during that time of year.

A few reminders. You never get tired of Zabriskie Point.

Badwater:

Our favorite campground. It ain't much to look at. I just like the solitude and the morning walks along those creosote bushes behind the campground.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.