BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road to Tambabiche
Baines

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 12:34 PM
Road to Tambabiche

The road to Tambabiche (Timbabiche on some maps) is interesting but quite rough. This road goes out to the fish camps and an old ranching area on the gulf coast from C. Constitution. At the coast is an old 2 strory ranch house (abandoned) that can be seen from the sea and is used as a navagation aid by yachtsmen. Last summer this area was heavily hit by two hurricanes that put lots of water in the arroyos, some of the water is still there and there are a few fairly deep water crossings. Deep enough to leave green stringy spirogyra algae hanging all ovedr my drive train and axils. We went in about 35 mi with the whole rig, camper and trailer, then we were informed by locals that the trailer could not make it over the cuesta, so we stopped at the old ranch Tijuana and spit the dune buggy off the trailer and proceed the rest of the way to the coast. The grade over the cuesta is quite spectacular, has shart turns and is very narrow. I think my whole rig could make it but we were glad we only took the dune buggy in because it is quite rough and when we gsat to the coast we really did not want to spend much time there anyway. The beach is OK, but is not particularly beautiful. Sloping gravel, fish camp, not close off shore rocks or islands and there is a wide flat area behind the beach, the mountains are far back from the coast. To summarize, the trip in was interesting and beautiful, especially the temprorary lakes in the wash bed but the destination at the coast is not worth the wear and tear. Go only for the trip not the beach.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 02:52 PM

Baines,
Many thanks for posting this information. Several of us have talked about taking this side route. My wife and I were in the vicinity (Misi?n San Luis Gonzaga) in 1970 and have always wondered about a few of the tracks we saw leading east as we made our way back north to Loreto.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2004 at 08:43 PM
Timbabichi

Did you take any pictures? And, many of the pictures and stories I have on my MSN Group-http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum are of the areas around the San Luis Gonzaga area.
Baines

[*] posted on 1-29-2004 at 03:02 PM
Timbache

Yes we took some pictures but I take slides and I am waiting for processing. This area is of course somewhat north of San Luis Gonzaga, the terrane is quite different. You are essentially following along beside and in and out of the arroyo of Las Bramonas until you get to higher ground. This year there was a lot of water in the arroyo bottoms. I will edit my pictures and digitize some and post some of them somewhere if there is interest.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2004 at 08:41 AM
The photos

Well I for one am definitely interested. Haven't actually made it to Timbabichi yet but have been driving and backpacking all over those hills. I will probably make it there this trip as well as a little jaunt to Los Dolores as soon as my last encounter with a large boulder is repaired.
I have a bunch of photos and stories at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum if you are interested in that area.
kmcdermo

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 10:15 PM

Sept 03. Wife and I camped on the beach about 300 yards from the 2 story hacienda.
Hurricane had visited just a month earlier. We rented a panga from aqua verde. You can email me for more pics..
kmcdermo

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 10:18 PM

Islands are Santa Cruz (big) and San Diego on the right.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.