BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1st timer
butlergnd

[*] posted on 12-5-2002 at 07:50 PM
1st timer

I'm heading down to Baja for my first time for about a week, starting 12/6 or 7. I'm interested in beginner breaks for surfing, places to camp and any other general suggestions. Also, a friend who was going to go is unable to now so I am doing this alone...any dangers there? Any info would be appreciated.
Gracias,
Greg
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2002 at 08:43 PM
Surfing Baja

Theres many breaks to suit all kinds of tastes in Baja norte, 10km after Playas de Tijuana on the border, you have Baja malibu and Marisol, both excelent beach breaks, just be careful with the powerful riptides when the surf is high. South of Rosarito beach try Popotla, its located just south of the Fox studios Baja, this is left reef break. South of that Calafia has an excelent right that gets better as the swell grows, drive down 5km more and you find the famous K38, a long and easy right thats perfect for begginers and long boarders, south of that its K39 a long right, and further than that its a wonderful left named campito, further down theres salsipuedes, la fonda, and at the entrance to Ensenada theres a right, San Miguel.

When surfing down here the two main things to consider is the safety of you car and your attitude in the water. Dont leave your car parked where you cant see it , if you leave it out of sight, you are inviting someone to take all of your stuff and radio, park it allways where theres plenty of people, or where you can watch it as you surf.

Local surfers are nothing like the surfers in California, but they do consider american surfers to be agresive and not respectful, so always be friendly and try not to go in with the same attitude as in the US, or you will end up getting your *** kicked, be friendly and talk to the locals, and you will end up getting some great waves and good friends.

Dont forget Wax, water, and be sure to finish your session with some good tasting tacos.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2002 at 08:44 PM
hey!!! what happended!!!!!

Why am i posting as anonymous? this has never happened before?

JESSE
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2002 at 11:04 PM
JESSE

Did you delete your cookies? Try [B]logging[/B] in with your password other wise I don't know. It recognized me.:?:
butlergnd

[*] posted on 12-5-2002 at 11:35 PM

Jesse,
Thanks for the speedy reply.....much appreciated. I was thinking of going as far as punta santa rosalillita.....still ok for beginners?....
Greg
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2002 at 12:43 AM
Baja surf guide

Sounds like your planing on doing a lot of surfing, check out this map:

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Central_America/Mexico/Baja_No...

As you can see, Baja has dozens, perhaps hundreds of breaks, but you should know that pacific facing beaches are big during the winter, so it all depends on the swell, seems to me that what you need are reef breaks that are predictable and fun, so try those in northern Baja, and work your way down south, asking the locals at each stop will help you get to other spots further south.

If you need any help just LMK

butlergnd

[*] posted on 12-6-2002 at 11:28 AM
one more ?

Jesse,
thanks again for the reply....one other question.....i'm using a longboard to learn....are some places better than others for this?
Greg
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2002 at 03:15 PM

Try K38, thats a fun wave and perfect for a long board and a begginer, K39 is also good, i would suggest you stay away from beach breaks and just stick to reef breaks that arent too agressive, look its your trip and you are free to do what you want, but if you are beggining maybe you should stick to popular breaks that are well know, if you go south of Ensenada you will find all kinds of breaks, and you just might spend most of your time getting to those places instead of surfing, also once you get there you might find that the swell is too big, or too small, or the break its too complicated for a begginer, so take a few days and surf the corridor from Rosarito to Ensenada, see if the swell is going up or down, and then decide if you want to try going south, you see, any easy break can turn into a monster with the right swell, and the most killer break can be tamed if the swell if small, so get to the corridor, surf the easy and safe sports, check out the swell, talk to the locals, and then decide if you want to go further south.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.