BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New harbor at San Miguel Surf Spot?
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 04:43 PM
Morphing is fun

pointsurfbaja

Serge Dedina and Kem Nunn will both be at the Baja Authors Book Signing at the Pyramid Resort on May 5th. See other posts for more details.

Sallly I totally agree with your comment..............Huh?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
pointsurfbaja

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Maybe this is what pointsurfbaja was referring to:

Ensenada - When Doug Bowers was in college, going to Baja meant camping, surfing, scarfing down fish tacos and downing more than a few beers at Hussong's raucous cantina in Ensenada.

Times have changed.

"Now that I'm older, my tastes have become more refined and expensive," said Bowers, director of marketing for Merida Development Group, developer of Porto Hussong, a $350 million planned resort and marina just north of Ensenada along the toll road. "These days, I can't imagine a better Baja experience than what this resort is going to be - a world-class, five-star luxury destination, on par with some of the world's best resorts."

I'm sorry Mr. Dave but I can't let this go unchecked. This "All About Me Babyboomer Mentaliy" cannot be allowed to propagate unfettered. This "friend and business partner" Doug ascends to the rarified air of screw the next generations quotes when he states that in his youth his fondest memories of baja included surfing, but in dusk of his life his passions have changed. Somehow that justifies him potentially stealing from his grandchildren(if he has any) my potential children and countless other of future generations an attraction in Wavedom that was tantamount to or surpassing that of Disneyland.

You can call me uninformed all you want. Stick and stones, well you know the rest. How about informing us. What is going to happen to the wave at San Miguel? Is the location of this project in an area that will potentially destroy the wave at San Miguel? Why could the project not be altered a bit to allow what Nature ,or God depending on your point of view, has made so enjoyable for so many surf nomads? This is a world class wave with generations of heritage. But you might not care about that. This will be posted on all of the surfing discussion forums and blogs that I have access to. I am amazed that this project has gone under the radar so stealthily. Well I hope it's not too late. Good Luck

SURF, PUKE, BLISTER

POINT SURF

FREE POINT

BACK TRAILS
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 09:22 AM

Don't fret P****surf****.

"Good guy Doug" will build you a eco-pond with a statue of Duke Kahanamoku in the middle, that you can paddle around.:(:no:
pointsurfbaja

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 09:45 AM

"Good guy Doug" CAN KISS MY :moon::biggrin:

SURF, PUKE, BLISTER

POINT SURF

FREE POINT

BACK TRAILS
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 10:01 AM
DUDE, CHILL!

Quote:
Originally posted by pointsurfbaja
Somehow that justifies him potentially stealing from his grandchildren(if he has any) my potential children and countless other of future generations an attraction in Wavedom that was tantamount to or surpassing that of Disneyland.

First, This development will NOT alter your Wavedumb experience. Puerto Hussong is being built 3 miles south.

Second, Doug was just pointing out that some people, even surfers, grow up. ;D

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 10:55 AM

I'm gonna have to chime in here a little.
This thread reminds me of listening to the talking news heads blabber about the middle east and how all of our thinking and concepts can and will prevail over a culture, that for the most part, they know nothing about. Since the 9-11 attacks and hostilities with Islam I have picked up some books and learned what they are all about. We will never impose our will on them, just like we won't on the Mexican government.
Now I don't like seeing any surf spot ruined to developement, my off-road destinations paved over, any more than most who enjoy this stuff. But you guys are all blowing hot air here. Do you remember that money and corruption run most of the decision making in Mex. The same, I might add as our country if you hadn't noticed. I wish we would all stop running around pointing our fingers at the rest of the world while we do the same here. It's no wonder so many other nations have the attitude they do towards us when we are so hypicritical. Now don't get me wrong here any of you, I'm a God fearing, lover of our country. But there are allot of things wrong here that many of us do nothing about. We could do a whole lot better job on our own shores before passing judgement elsewhere, that's my point. How many classic point breaks are full of boats, spilled sewage, golf courses with their fertilizer run off etc, on our coasts? I mean do you seriously think that because we show up a few times a year somewhere in their country that we can wag a finger at them and stuff our supposed morals and ethics down their throats when we do just the opposite here.
And lastly Pointsurf, the riprap that created the wave at San Miguel was put there to protect the canneries from wave action decades ago by man, not God :light:

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:51 PM
GIDGET

Where would we be without you "born agains". Tell me what you were before the divine intervention,so I can understand your rationale better?

Forgive me GIDGE I'm one of those "wavedumb" guys.
:moon:

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by bancoduo]
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Where would we be without you "born agains". Tell me what you were before the divine intervention,so I can understand your rationale better?

Forgive me GIDGE I'm one of those "wavedumb" guys.
:moon:

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by bancoduo]

Well, let see. First I don't beleive I insulted you in any way personally, but that's OK. I guess if you don't have anything better to say, then attack the Christian. Everyone else does. It's really just fine though because what you intended as bad for me turns to good, and bad for you, if you follow that. As to what I was before, I am still a surfer who as I think I stated, do not like seeing any "spot" degraded. And I was a jerk just like you before, which is very difficult to not be in present company. Everyone else on the board excluded, as I'm sure you understand. :rolleyes:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 06:53 PM
hey gadget

don't trip on 'ol banco, he's been the devil's advocate/pain in the ass for some time now..........

pointsurfbaja

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 08:39 AM

What about this?

Marina San Miguel

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/?id=9591

article found on

http://www.savethewaves.org/miguel.asp

Here's a thread about the high rises they want to build

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=13003411

SURF, PUKE, BLISTER

POINT SURF

FREE POINT

BACK TRAILS
pointsurfbaja

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 08:41 AM

From Save the Waves Coallition

"An unspecified, multi-million dollar resort development company is joining forces with the Sauzal harbor to extend the original harbor approximately 185 acres further out into the coastal waters, which will engulf world famous San Miguel point and obliterate the waves. Local surfer and oceanographer, Jose Puig stated, “The area will be completely engulfed by the marina, ruining the natural coast.” This $370 million dollar project, titled “Marina San Miguel,” will harbor 550 yachts, and is being brought to the table along with a 21 acre five star resort proposed by the unspecified company."

SURF, PUKE, BLISTER

POINT SURF

FREE POINT

BACK TRAILS
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 5-8-2007 at 09:48 AM

There is an article in the past Sunday's La Frontera (the local TJ newspaper) that a friend told me about (I didn't read it) that said the sales of condos in the TJ - Ensenada corridor are way down. The 2000 - 2005 real estate boom is over in the states and eventhough the developers say it isn't affecting what's happening here, it is. Hopefully the simple economics of the day will but an end to this madness. It's my experience that real estate cycles are about 10 or so years in duration from boom to bust to boom again. Are there any experts out there to confirm that?

Maybe we have a reprieve and during the interim there will be a rethinking about these developments that will result in smaller scale projects that will produce homes, not hotels where they sell individual rooms and call them homes.

Jeez, maybe they will even improve the water, sewer, and electrical systems BEFORE they build the developments. Do you think?

Along those lines I read in the newspaper during the past heavy rains that raw sewage from the barrios that have sprung up directly to the east of the Rosarito condo developments where the workers live was flowing downhill into the developments and the place stunk. Hey, watch out for that floater in the swimming pool!

Such foolishness.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.