Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: trip report
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 09:23 PM
trip report

3 friends, myself, and our boys headed down to the San Felipe area. We arrived in Baja last Saturday and got home Thursday night. We had a great time.

Saturday when we hit San Felipe, the mantra "no bad days" came true and we quickly slowed down and kicked off our shoes.

We had lunch at km 35 Chelo's place. The food was good and my boys quickly joined in the soccer game of the neighborhood kids that were playing outside. We had brought down some bags of clothes to give to our church but after playing soccer for a good hour my kids convinvced me to leave them with the the kids/family there at Chelos, so we did. We then got out the football and had a great time in the parking lot teaching the kids what american futbol was.

One of my friends boss has a place at campo playa mexico at km 39.5. His boss and some co-workers were there but they were generous enough to let us sleep on the patio and use their shower&toilet. Very nice and generous people. Their place was the perfect base for our 5 day stay.

We had a great time beachcombing at shell island and campo santa maria. We fished from a panga in San Felipe and my kids caught plenty of fish, we blew up lots of stuff with the m-80's we bought, met lots of nice friendly people and ran into some from st. george, a classmate of my son. It's a small world.

We spent some time shore fishing at campo playa mexico and santa maria. My son Dillon got grazed by a jellyfish and after urinating on him and shading up for a bit he was good to go. We felt pretty fortunate as two of my friends kids had been hit before and both times the tentacles wrapped around an arm or leg.

Morning walks, watching the sunrise, meeting new people, eating good food, hitting golf balls into the ocean and then retrieving them at low tide, eating more good food, and spending some quality time with my sons and friends made this trip awesome. My kids buying stretched out coke bottles made me wax nostagic to my younger years...

It was our second annual (with hopefully many more to continue) trip with the same group. Watching our kids play soccer with the locals, fish, collect shells, and have a great time without tv or being inside was wonderful. Sitting around drinking diet coke, laying in the hammock, shooting the breeze with buddies...our trip was 6 weeks too short!

We went to Puertocios on Wednesday stopped at Cow Patty's it was closed, petted the guard dog (which is really a cat) went to the hot springs and even though it was low tide we found a warm pool and soaked for awhile. The kids found many different types of starfish clinging to the rocks and then it was our last night.

Campfire, blowing up the last of the fireworks, grilling all the meat left in the freezer and finally bed.

We got up early and headed out. After a 90 minute wait at the border we were back to reality.

The weather was awesome. Warm days and cool nights.

Some menu items I saw in San Felipe that I lacked the courage to try: Hushbrowns, coofe, and hanburgers. These items must be unique to the san felipe area. Maybe next trip down I will take a walk on the wild sided an give them a go.

New favorite restaurant: Chuey's. One block off the malecon on the north end. Fresh clams with every order!!

Back to work on Monday.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 09:44 PM

I here you! Seems like it was just a dream doesnt? at least it was real.....

Thanks 4 sharing man...........

READY SET.....................
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 09:51 PM
sunrise last thursday

sunrise copy.jpg - 43kB

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 10:01 PM
did I mention the sand dune

sandune.jpg - 47kB

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 10:27 PM
my son says this is a leopard gecko

he found it at the dune. Our neighbor at playa mexico said it was poisonous

[Edited on 3-18-2007 by bajapablo]

gecko.jpg - 43kB

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 10:30 PM
puertocitos

citos.jpg - 49kB

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 10:32 PM
the gang at cow patty

cow.jpg - 47kB

J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
I here you! Seems like it was just a dream doesnt? at least it was real.....

Thanks 4 sharing man...........

anytime. no problema

J.Buffet
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 02:59 AM

Great report and cool pics. Lucky kids to have Baja built in to their lives.

The jellyfish cure, priceless.

Iflyfish
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 05:22 AM

bajapablo. Thanks for the pics and the report.:bounce:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 06:53 AM

Baja pablo ,i love that area crowds in san felipe and solitude further south,, did you fish consag rock?? and with all those kids you must own a bus ,
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 07:51 PM

Thanks for the report and photos!!!:yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 3-18-2007 at 09:30 PM

When you travel in Mexico with children you realize just what a family oriented culture it is. I bet you never even got a sideways glance from the policia with that Motley Crew. Neat report. Thanks for sharing.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
When you travel in Mexico with children you realize just what a family oriented culture it is. I bet you never even got a sideways glance from the policia with that Motley Crew. Neat report. Thanks for sharing.

Just a cursory glance. Started to get out at the checkpoint north of san felipe and was told not to bother.
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Baja pablo ,i love that area crowds in san felipe and solitude further south,, did you fish consag rock?? and with all those kids you must own a bus ,

No bus, we brought down 3 vehicles and the girls were friends of the kids that we ran into down there.

Where is consag rock? We spent time shore fishing right out the back door at campo playa mexico where the kids caught a bunch of croaker and then at campo santa maria where we got shut out except for the jellyfish.

J.Buffet
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 04:43 PM

It's the island that looks like a white sail (bird droppings) straight east of San Felipe.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It's the island that looks like a white sail (bird droppings) straight east of San Felipe.

oh La Roca! when we went out on the panga we only went out by the cliffs about 7 miles I estimate.

J.Buffet
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 08:55 PM

The map puts Rocas Consag about 20 miles out...

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 09:16 PM
la roca

someone in san felipe told me that someone collects all the bird crap of the rock and sells it for what I do not know. any truth to that or was he feeding me a load of (bird)crap.

J.Buffet
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 07:34 PM

...I heard that one, too, when we were down there about 16 years ago! Bird guano has many wonderful uses - sticking the nest together, fertilizing gardens, making a big rock far out in the sea look bright and mysterious, but I wonder why someone would take the trip out there...maybe there's something magic in that poo!:smug:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.