BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: There goes the neighborhood....
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 10:06 AM
There goes the neighborhood....

A surfer's guide to Baja

The Surfer's Guide to Baja (Paperback)
by Mike Parise (Author), Bob Towner; Cricket (Illustrator)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $21.95
Price: $14.93 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $7.02 (32%)

Pre-Order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price. See Details

Availability: This title will be released on April 16, 2007. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 11:40 AM

Porque?...am i missing the point?:?:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo

Everybody will now know about OUR "secret" beaches.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 12:16 PM

Taco
That book has been out for years...note it is the 3rd edition.
You are safe.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 04:35 PM

Thanks Judy, I was biting my tongue...

However, Taco de Baja will be proud of me in that I never bought that book to add to my library! I figure the sacred sisters will be kind to me when I travel past them this summer!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 05:09 PM

That's kind of you DK!

I've had it for a few years, bought it mostly to make sure they were just covering only the more popular spots...:yawn:
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

thumbup.gif posted on 3-22-2007 at 12:44 PM
The Surfer's Guide To Baja

The Surfer's Guide To Baja has been around since the first edition was published in 1999! I'm not sure which one Amazon is selling now, but I think it's #5.
The Guides cover much more than just the surf-related info, and offer plenty of good advice for anybody heading south to do a little exploring. I've got #2 and #3, and it's interesting to see the changes in Baja described from the writer's perspective. This year you can pick up the Guide packaged with a set of Baja maps. I haven't seen it in my local surf shop yet, but as soon as it shows up, I'll be picking up the newest edition.
For the non-surfing Nomads, it bears mentioning that many surfers don't want to see huge crowds showing up at their favorite spots. Guidebooks or websites offering detailed directions to, and descriptions of "secret" spots are thought by some to be responsible for the ever-increasing crowds.
The most popular and well-known surf spots described in the "Surfer's Guide" books have pretty detailed locations/directions, but as far as "secret" spots go, they give just enough info to send you in the right direction, without providing turn-by-turn directions for the masses to follow. Seems like a good balance to me.

The Surfer's Guide To Baja? :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 12:50 PM

Cameron--------It's about that avatar?????????? What's with that????? :lol:
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 01:21 PM

Hey Barry, about Cameron's avatar.....don't know how he got it - he must be well connected...but that's just Keith Richards MRI after he fell from the coconut tree! That white thing in the middle ofd the skull is just a little cocaine buildup from snorting too hard...
:bounce:
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Cameron--------It's about that avatar?????????? What's with that????? :lol:

Argggh! It's all about the pirates, matey!
Seriously though... I downloaded an image of my own to one of the "free avatar" sites to use, but it never made it onto their list of available images. Maybe a copyright thing, I don't know. Anyway, I was looking for the one I posted, and came across the skull & crossbones. Kind of likd it, so I linked it to the Nomads site as my online avatar.
If it's giving you the willies, I'll try a different one, OK? I'll try again w/the one I originally intended:

swordsman2.jpg - 6kB
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:33 PM
Oh my Gaud!!!!!

Cameron-------Maybe you should stick with the green skull and corss bones :lol:
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo

More importantly, what taco is missing is Gods beautiful creations that taco seems to think should be secret.
I would like to spend some time on at one of those spots telling taco about His love, even for him. :saint::saint:

[Edited on 3-28-2007 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 06:03 AM

i looked at a friends book and it seemed to be a rip-off of the original "surf report" by surfer mag.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 07:34 AM

That was one heck of an edit there Gadget!!last night I tuned in and you were blasting about where people grew up and thier "localism" attitude..and today its halo's and angels?

Bad tequila maybe??
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Bad tequila maybe??

:lol::lol::lol::P:o:lol::lol:

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
That was one heck of an edit there Gadget!!last night I tuned in and you were blasting about where people grew up and thier "localism" attitude..and today its halo's and angels?

Bad tequila maybe??

You got me there TT. Actually it was about 30 minutes later when I was convicted thouroughly by my conscience. I got sucked into that localism thing which is how " I " used to be. That post was completely hypcritical because I used to be the biggest jerk out in the lineup. Thankfully the Lord has changed some of the worst garbage in me, but not all of it. I also don't know anything about Taco except that post, so I was being judgemental of him. Sorry for that Taco and to any of you who read the first post. The second post was to show the way I am called to live my life now. It's not that easy walking in life to a higher calling when you're set in your ways, but I'm trying with HIS help.

PS no bad tequila anymore either thankfully

ie edit, I'm new not sure I could use the word d__k on the site. Sorry, I should definitely stay off this thread.

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
Gadget
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 05:40 PM

Good on you Gadget... Viva the edit feature on Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 05:59 PM
gadget

it's funny how growing older makes you mellow. i too was a punk in the water when i was a kid. now i really hate surfing at home because of the growth in the water. "fun time is over" was my motto when i'd paddle out in high school. 25 years at the same beach and now the little surf rats give me their bull crap on ocassion. i used to be them. it makes me laugh now....

the remedy? i aim straight for their soft little heads on the next wave while laughing hysterically. then paddle back out and inform, "sorry i missed, punk. i'll get you next time!" that usually makes for a little more space at the peak.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 07:55 PM

Thanks guys for your comments. I will make no further apologies or excuses. It aint all that easy for me.
But I guess my position and point would be the following:
I don't understand the "lets keep it a secret" on a "lets talk about it site".
All of us Baja lovers were turned onto Baja by someone.
I remember an older surfer telling me about Cuatros Casas and my first venture there at 15 yrs old. That was deep Baja to me then. We were heros when we returned and told about our trip to school mates.
We didn't single handedly cause Cuatros to get crowded. Heck, a decade later, I surfed it with a friend for 5 days on a New Zealand south swell, with all the conditions connecting, all alone and it remains some of the best surf in our memory.
The travel bug bit, and a few years later I was bouncing around Central America chasing the sun and surf.
No trip has replaced the Baja yearning though.
We all got started by someone or something.
So what if it was a person or a book.
If some newby manages to find one of our favorite spots by luck or chance what are we going to do, try and drive them off???:moon:
I personally like to show them my stoke for the place and share with them how it is risky and an effort to travel in Baja.
That risk and effort will keep most of the casual travelers at the easy access spots.
I know you all have people say to you often, "why do you got to Baja, it's just dirt and desert?"
They don't know and never will, which is fine by me. I certainly don't try and sell them on going. They may just find trouble and issues.
So you see, it just hurts me to see posts like Tacos on this site. I joined it to find people like David K, Shari, Ken C, Bruce and many others. :tumble:
I don't see the "I visited this place and now claim some ownership to it" concept anywhere else other than with surfers.
Because we ride the surf, does that make us more special and entitled than say some one who hikes a trail, rides a mule, drives off road?
Its like, Oh I stopped by your house for a visit, hand over the title.
It's not our country for Gods sake, were just visitors!
Like Woody, I have my local home break with all the crap that goes on, my wave, my beach, go home!
I go to Baja to get away from that mentality, to enjoy where I am 50 or 500 miles from home, with anyone who comes bouncing along, newby or 50 year veteran.
:?::?::?:

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by Gadget]

See you in Baja
Gadget
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2007 at 08:31 PM
amen, amigo!

glad to let you know that there is a ton of stoke still out there.

3/4 of the fun is in the finding it.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.