BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: big fire at ecomundo...
Subastador
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 08:15 PM

Thank you Bob. Hope to see you at the auction.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 05:15 AM
Bob and Susan

We will be going by that area on our way to Loreto on Saturday. Can you give me an idea of where it is,I don't recall seeing it along the road. Phil
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 06:47 AM
EcoMundo is....

It's at the south end of Posada Beach, the beach between Santispac and El Borro
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Kurt,

I am only posting my thoughts... Ecomundo was popular, so why not sell it to someone who will keep it going? I read here that they just relocated to Thailand to start a new tourist business... So, my thoughts above are honestly based on hear-say (here on Nomad) info.

Anyway, I bow to your details if they are the true ones! So, it was a health issue that made him go to Thailand? Man, that just doesn't make sense because I always feel healthier in Baja! I wish them the best!!

I have no idea about health issues, only know that Roy said he loved Thailand and of course his wife is Thai. Also I have no info about any new business in Thailand. Roy, like me, is in his 60's and may just be retiring there but I am only speculating.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana

Here's a picture, beautiful location!

Don't worry about the holigan biker. He doesn't live there!:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 07:56 PM

Wow, what great information and all news to me. Palapa 17 when we lived there (palapa 13) belonged to Doug and Susie Morrison. It was occupied by a lady called Bobbi that lived there as a caretaker for many years before all of these palapas were sold and removed just recently.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 08:18 PM

:o:o:o WTF ??? So, if he has some jungle around his place in Thailand and someone makes a mess will he clear-cut it???

There must have been a better solution....what will the new caretaker take care of????

Don't believe everything you think....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 3-24-2007 at 06:17 AM
nice Bike Ken!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana

Here's a picture, beautiful location!

Don't worry about the holigan biker. He doesn't live there!:lol::lol::lol::cool:

makes me want to tag on one of your next moto adventuras en baja calles!
some day i sure hope to, have to rent a bike tho. or i have a friend in vegas who has several touring bikes i can choose one. my last big baja adventure is to ride the HW 1 one time on 2 wheels. then i am DONE with that road, man!

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by capt. mike]

mike on hog (Custom).jpeg - 9kB

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 08:57 AM

Mike,

Anytime you're ready, let's go.

Warning.....it can be habit forming. I don't think you'll be through with the road after you travel it on a bike.

Can you drink just one Pacifico?:no::no::no:

[Edited on 3-24-2007 by tripledigitken]
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 12:16 AM

I hang out often on this beach among these ruins and finally decided to look up the story today

what the hell, this is one crazy story

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
I hang out often on this beach among these ruins and finally decided to look up the story today

I'm having trouble placing it. Can you narrow it down?

I like beer, better than most people.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 09:48 AM

The history of places that we all know just astounds me!

So many posted here that I have never met, nor heard of!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  

I'm having trouble placing it. Can you narrow it down?

Right next to Posada Concepcion, its the big open swath of land before you go up and over the hill to Playa Escondido, there are some old ruined structures and a bunch of burnt up wire everywhere, which now I have learned is all the lashing that held together the palapas

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7521163,-111.8992515,3a,75y,...

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 01:25 PM

did a little digging on the old Ecomundo owners, looks like Roy is still living in Thailand with his new lady

and Becky lives in Tuscon with her new man

wonder who owns the land nowadays? Doubt it ever sold at that crazy price

Heres hoping it never does! Its one of the last free beaches to camp out on the west side of the bay.

[Edited on 12-16-2020 by defrag4]

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 02:31 PM

some older fotos of the joint

pre-burn

post-burn

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 02:34 PM

nowadays nothing much left but some old cement pads, rock walls, and the ruins of what looked to be the shower house

There is a really nice built up stone/mortar fire pit and the remnants of what I assume was a small rock pool off in the shallows.

Next time I go out there I will need to track down these thermals i am reading about

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 05:21 PM

There are several places were water is heated down below and makes it way back up. Hot springs at sea level are very common in Baja, so don't be surprised when in places the gulf water feels hot... in the winter!

The above two pages are from Marjorie Gersh-Young's book, Hot Springs of the Southwest c1998 & 2004.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There are several places were water is heated down below and makes it way back up. Hot springs at sea level are very common in Baja, so don't be surprised when in places the gulf water feels hot... in the winter!

The above two pages are from Marjorie Gersh-Young's book, Hot Springs of the Southwest c1998 & 2004.

Gracias David, looks like I have multiple spots to explore on my next trip up :coolup:

1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 12-23-2020 at 01:08 AM
Ecomundo back when

this brings back so many memories

I lived on the bay when Ecomundo was built and actually helped a bit with building the bath area

Roy and Becky began at Santispac with a kayak rental business and then moved over next to Posada and built the strawbale buildings

there was a restaurant/cafe as well as an art gallery (for local artists) and kayak rental and the little palapas (that were just burnt) were nightly rentals - they were going to build an elder hostel but things changed

Roy had health issues and their relationship was having issues so the project came to a halt and Roy went to Thailand and Becky moved into Mulege and lived along the river for a time
Becky was from southern California but was Hispanic and spoke fluent Spanish - almost all the people they hired to work there were locals from Mulege area -

my husband and I loved hanging out there - lots of interesting people would stop in to visit for an hour or a day -a week-a month- Marine Biologists, a Mexican man from Tecate area that built a strawbale community (that may still be there), long distance kayakers would pull in for the night as well as sail boaters, people traveling the Baja by bike and motorcycle - it was quite a "hub"

one of the many events/things that Becky organized was having some of the artists who sold their work at the gallery there get together to create a calendar with their art work - the money from the sales went to some Mulege teens to travel to a turtle sanctuary and release a turtle each into the ocean - and each of the calendar artists got their name given to a turtle - as I was one of those artists - my namesake is hopefully still swimming around out there somewhere

1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 12-23-2020 at 01:12 AM
hot springs

and yes, there were/are hot springs right in front of Ecomundo - you could dig a little seat in the sand and sit in the Bahia and be in a hot tub
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.