Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Big Picacho: One more time
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 01:49 PM
Big Picacho: One more time

I'm going for the summit of Picacho del Diablo again in about a month (from the west side). I'm concerned that even going a week earlier than last year might still be too late in the season, given how dry our winter has been. Has anyone been in Canyon Diablo lately? How does the water supply look?

[Edited on 3-23-2007 by bajaandy]

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 04:59 PM

On Tuesday at noon I dropped 4 climbers off at the base of Diablo trying to climb it from the east, via Diablo Canyon. We've had good weather up till then. On Wed it looks to be raining and storming up there and has continually since sometime Tuesday night. It was raining over San Matis pass today. Picking them up at 3pm tomorrow - Friday the 23rd and will have a firsthand report for you.

[Edited on 3-23-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:35 PM

Thanks Lou! Looking forward to that report. One of these days I'm gonna' have to make it over your way and thank you in person for the updates you've provided!

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 11:16 AM

Bajaandy- In about 1957 a bunch of us climed Picacho del Diablo with Bud Bernhard. One of the missions was to measure which peak was the highest, the north or south. Bud lugged a transit up there on his back and went to the north peak while we climed the south one. We held a big measuring device up and Bud looked thru his instrument and figured out which one was higher and how much. I'll have to ask him what he remembers, because I've forgotten which one is highest. Maybe we left that info on the peak. We went from the west, up Diablo canyon. There was plenty of water then, had to swim across a pond and haul our gear across it by rope. Great memories. Bernhard was a great climber and spent many years hiking around those mountains. He found the lost Kellog kids from La Jolla when everyone else failed. Vince
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Bajaandy- In about 1957.... I'll have to ask him what he remembers, because I've forgotten which one is highest. Vince

Are you still in contact with Bud? He dropped out of sight many years ago, at least with many of his old friends, including my dad, Myron Smith. I vaguely remember being on some Baja trips with Bud in the early 1970's, when I was very young.

Apparently he and my dad were on some amazing trips down there in the "early days". My dad has since passed on but my mom is still around, and I am sure she would want to say "Hi"…So, if you speak with him, pleas pass on a hello.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 01:27 PM

Taco-----I too camped with your Dad (Myron) and Bud on the East side of the San Pedro Martir when we made my first trip down to Valle Chico, Agua Caliente, Carrizo, and Berrendo Canyons in the early 60's. Your dad made really fast trip over to San Felipe one late afternoon from camp, returning that same night with about 3 kilos of huge fresh shrimp, feeding the entire camp that night. I will never forget that. Your Dad was a real hero that night, and a mighty nice guy, tho I did not know him that well. I believe that he was farming in Borrego Springs at that time.

"Vince" and I were classmates in Coronado, and made some trips to Baja together back then, also, including the plateau of the San Pedro Martir. I was not able to go on the Picacho trip that Vince speaks of, but I heard all about it. Those were the real pioneer days!!!

Loved it!! Barry
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 03:30 PM

Taco- I'll pass the word along to Bud when I see him next. He has been ill, still in Coronado. Barry, that shrimp must have been incredibly welcome in the wilds of northern Baja. Vince
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 03:44 PM

This is really great to see Nomads make connections!

As for Picacho del Diablo, the north peak is 10,154' and the south peak is 10,152' per John W. Robinson's Camping and Climbing in Baja.

There it is behind me in June, 1978 (I was 20)...

Vince, on the far left (no hat) is Myron's kid (Taco de Baja) in April, 2004... When I met him and the others (at Parral Canyon) that just climbed to Mision San Pedro Martir with Jack Swords.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 04:13 PM

Looking anxiously for Lou's report on the group attempting the ascent. There was some unpredicted, NASTY weather around in northern Baja and SoCal yesterday.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 07:01 PM

Well, got the climbers back all safe and sound. They did not make the peak but had a very enjoyable try. I'm sure one of them will post a trip report when they get home. There is snow - quite a bit on the north faces, lots of water coming down Diablo Canyon. They got wet a couple times getting across pools etc. Lots of places to choose where to camp from previous climbers.

They are heading back to San Diego tomorrow to fly back to Chicago and complete school and then join the real world.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-23-2007 at 08:10 PM
good luck andy!

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info Lou. I'm glad to hear that there is still some snow up there feeding the creek.

Woody, thanks for the well wishes... this year I'm really hoping we make summit. As ususal, I'll tell everyone all about it when we get back.

JBL Noel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 10:31 AM

Hey Andy, LOTS OF PHOTOS!!! 360 degrees from the peak to make a panorama, please!!!;):light:

Best of luck to you... :yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:17 AM

Will do DK! I know you asked for that panoramic last year, and that was one of the reasons I felt bad about not making the peak! I'll need to talk to you about resizing my photos... that's one of the things I'm not so good at, as I always seem to make them look too pixilated when I'm done. I don't have the greatest digital camera either... it's an older Canon Powershot S100. It's only a 2.1 megapixel.

By the way, if anyone is interested in making a weekend trip to the Sierra San Pedro Martir, drop me a line. We'd love to have fellow campers, even if you're not wanting to do the hike in and the peak climb. That park is truly beautiful! It reminds me a lot if the terrain and topography of our local San Jacinto mountains.

JBL Noel
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:32 AM

If you decide to come down the East side, let me know and I'll look for you.

No Bad Days

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 08:47 PM

Thanks for the offer Lou. If we come out on the east side, that means something has probably gone wrong! :lol: :lol:

JBL Noel
leadmoto
Junior Nomad

Mood: Froggy

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 02:36 PM

Have a great trip Andy!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 05:22 PM

Hey Andy! I'd like to hike up Diablo Canyon, not climb Picacho, and because of a tender knee not care to hike back down again. Would it be possible to coordinate with your summit and get a ride out westbound?

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 05:44 PM

Dave,

I'm game if you are. I'm sure you realize that once you get to Campo Noche in Diablo Canyon that it's another 3,000 vertical feet up to the saddle at Cerro Botella Azul. If you're serious, drop me a U2U and lets talk.

JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2007 at 07:16 PM

Alright my Baja Nomad amigos.... the last training hike is over. It's crunch time. We're leaving Thursday to try again for the summit of Picacho del Diablo. I'm feeling pretty good and after last years recon, I feel good about our chances to make the summit. If all goes well, I'll be on the summit about lunchtime on Saturday. I'll be sure to wave to everyone on the Pacific side AND the Sea of Cortez side! And yes David, I'll take that 360 degree panoramic for you. I got a new digital camera, so hopefully it'll make my pathetic photography skills a little better!

Will post a TR when I get back.

JBL Noel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.