Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Cafe' Milano in La Paz
SonyC

Mood: Pizza & Love

thumbup.gif posted on 3-25-2007 at 09:47 AM
Cafe' Milano in La Paz

Hello Folks,
I am surprised not to find here on the forum any mention about the italian Restaurant Milano in La Paz and I want to share my enthusiasm about it. We live part of the year in Todos Santos and consider ourselves spoiled by the quality of the several italian restaurants in town; however we always love to drive to La Paz, just to visit our favourite.
The restaurant is located on Esquero, the road behind the malecon, just besides the french Bistro, and is hosted in a very nicely remodeled colonial old building with high ceiling and old tiles that create a very romantic atmospere.
The kitchen is open on the dining room and it is always possible to see how the cooks sautee a dish or prepare fresh homemade pastas.
We tried pretty much all the items on the menu and generally speaking we could say that they have a beautiful selection of traditional italian recipies, with a particular focus on the freshness of the ingredients that are all locally grown.
We often meet the owner Michelle here in Todos Santos in the morning and getting the frash organic arugula, or selecting lobsters with the fisherman.
Additionally to the dishes of the menu they very often have specialties, I really recommend the baked seafood spaghettis that are very often available.
The restaurant has recently been awarded with a price a for the hygene being the first restaurant in La Paz to receive it ever, so I feel 300 % confident on recommending it to everybody.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 10:16 AM

Sony, thanks for the tip and if my buddy is still going to La Paz this November I will probably take the ride down with him and check this place out. My buddy has a friend that owns a home in La Paz and they seemed very satisfied with their retirement there. Any Dean Martin music there:lol::spingrin:.

mikimila

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 07:38 AM

Hello All! I was invited to this forum by Sony, the author of this post.
I actually own Caffe' Milano and therefore I am not going to write about it, however I am here for any additional information about us that we could provide, or any observation that could help us to improve our service.
With the occasion I thank Sony for the beautiful description.
Bajafun777, we change our selection of music very often, however we have no Dean Martin at the present moment ...

Mikele
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 06:34 PM

Anyone know what days they are open and hours?

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikimila
I actually own Caffe' Milano and therefore I am not going to write about it, however I am here for any additional information about us that we could provide, or any observation that could help us to improve our service.
With the occasion I thank Sony for the beautiful description.
Bajafun777, we change our selection of music very often, however we have no Dean Martin at the present moment ...

Hi Michele,

Welcome to the board, been here since forever and soon you will find out once you get in, its hard to get out.

Michele is a good friend of ours, and one of only a few restauranteurs who serves quality in town. His place is clean, decorated very nicely, and the service is always great. The food is authentic Italian, no room for fettuccine alfredo or chicken parmigiana here, and i recommend his spinach and pear salad, and a home made sausage that can't get more Italian unless you go back and eat in Italia. He has a very nice selection of Italian wines, and don't forget to ask for his home made lemoncello at the end.

Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 08:02 PM

Jesse do you know the hours??? Always looking for a new place for lunch!!!

maybe!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 08:04 PM

welcome

nice write-up here...
http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-california-travel/baja-desti...

caffe-milano-map.jpg - 47kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 08:06 PM

So now it looks like I will have two must go to restaurants when I get back next month and I'll even bring some Dino CD's for Michele
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 08:11 PM

Thanks Bob and Susan. Looks fabulous!

maybe!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 10:52 AM

I have been mentioning this restaurant for years. The homemade sausage is so delicious that I have a hard time ordering anything else.
Glad to see other Nomads enjoying the place.

And Jesse, you are truly the gentleman that we all thought you were.

Posted on 12-18-2004 by me
"Once again my husband had the t-bone at Caffe Milano and although they had gone up on the price it was alot of meat and delicious. I had their homemade Italian sausage and it was wonderful."

[Edited on 4-18-2007 by bajajudy]

mikimila

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 01:22 PM

Thanks to all for the nice and welcoming words, and specially to Jesse, that I admire both professionally and personally, and to Sony for inviting me here, this seems quite interesting and addicrive ... Thanks again!

Our hours are currently 13-23 Mon-Sat

Mikele
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 04:27 PM

Read about Cafe Milano yesterday, went there to eat last night. OUTSTANDING!

The first shock was meeting "Michelle." I was expecting some young thing like in the Beattles song. No way! Michelle is a big strapping guy. He sat down with us for dinner and we had a nice long chat. VERY PERSONABLE. He is Italian, originally from Sardinia. His Italian name is a derivative of Michael. He said most people in La Paz call him Miguel.

The second shock was meeting Miguel's wife. She is a most charming, interesting, and friendly person. They are an international family and therein lies the surprise. I will leave it for you to discover.

The third shock was the quality of the food. Why go to Italy when you can have the real thing in La Paz? We had Bellinis and these toasty things for appetizers. Then we had Tuna appetizers sliced parchment thin with garlic and marinade over the top. Then we shared the lettuce and pear salad with caramelized nuts - more than enough for two. For entrees we shared the homemade Italian sausage and Espegettis Carbonera. All this was washed down with a very mellow red wine from Chile that Miguel personally selected for us. When we thought we could hold no more, Limoncillo and Cafe liqueurs magically appeared at the table. We literally waddled out of the place. Miguel's motto must be Mangia, Mangia!

Appetizers run 50p to 100p. Salads run 75p to 100p (these could easily be a meal in themselves). Pasta runs 80p to 100p (all homemade and cooked perfectly al dente). And entrees start at around 100p. For example the homemade sausage - a recipe from Miguel's mother who lives in La Paz too- was 110p.

About 6 months ago there was a thread that said there were no good restaurants in La Paz. With restaurants like Cafe Milano, Tres Virgenes, Gula, La Boeheme, and Las Fuentes ice cream store, I have to heartily disagree. LP has outstanding restaurants!

Do yourself a favor, try Cafe Milano. Like Jesse and Aldo, Miguel and his family are the supreme hosts. It is a dining experience!

Having lived most of my life in California's wine country, I have always been a snob about Mexican wines. However, I had an interesting talk with Miguel about Mexican wines and I am going to give some specific ones a try. I hope he will jump in here and share with the Board what he told me.

Suerte Miguel! we will be back - often.
mikimila

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 01:49 PM

Hello all, just a short note to inform all the friends from the forum that Caffe' Milano will be closed for a while during this summer season for maintenance and remodeling. We will post before reopening. Arrivederci.
Michele & Caffe' Milano

Mikele
Boshvideo
Nomad

Mood: chill

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by mikimila

............. and don't forget to ask for his home made lemoncello at the end.

Home made lemoncello is a thing of beauty.

It\'s easier to get forgiveness then permission.
yates

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 03:34 PM

Does anyone know if Cafe Milano has reopened? I was in La Paz at the end of October and they were still remodeling. I hope to be back in La Paz soon and would sure love to try that homemade limoncello!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 04:05 PM

They are not open yet, will ask Michele whats going on as soon as i see him.

mikimila

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 07:41 AM

Hello forum,
we are getting ready to reopen, hopefully next week. I will post again soon with more info, and details about our new menu.
Ciao
Michele

Mikele
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 08:49 AM
Baja's "Italian" restaurants

Being from San Francisco and married to a dago whose family originally hailed from Pompei, I'm admittedly a bit of a snob when it comes to Italian cooking. We twice tried the branch of Milano when it was at the Mall and it was ghastly, pastas like cardboard and sparsely sauced with something so non-descript it doesn't bear remembering. Because of the horrible food served there we've never tried the restaurant at its incarnation downtown on Esquero. If I am confusing ownership responsibility between these two places I sincerely apologize.

My main criticism of Italian food as it's prepared in La Paz however, at the Milano or anywhere else, is that there's too much concentration on pastas and not enough on other Italian dishes. I'd kill for a good veal dish -- veal with a lemon sauce, or a good veal parmigian served with a side of pasta and followed by a small garden salad or preceded by a cup of decent minestrone.

It's no fun for us to walk into a restaurant and waddle out, we regard food as something to sustain life, not end it prematurely. What we'd like to see is a reasonably sized and reasonably priced Italian meal that is well-prepared but simple, one in which pasta is not the entree item. We long ago wearied of dinner at La Pazta because their best non-pasta entrees were dropped from the menu -- and also because the prissy attitudes of the wait-staff got to be a bit much.

By the way -- and off-subject -- wouldn't it improve this board if the most recent posts were put at the top of the thread, rather than at the bottom? It's time-consuming to read a half-dozen posts before realizing they were written six months or a year ago. :?:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 09:31 AM

Bajajazz,

Do you read your books starting with the last page?

The date of post is given at the top of each message, so you can see if it is "old". If you prefer to read only the recent stuff, you can click on the arrow on the right hand column of the index to go straight to the latest post. Or you can click on the thread title and use the 3 arrow icon located between the logo box and the ad box on the right-hand side. The most coherent relevant posts are usually made by people who have read the whole thread before replying.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Bajajazz,

The most coherent relevant posts are usually made by people who have read the whole thread before replying.

Paula,
However,if you have limited reading skills ( and some posts go on forever, like thread hijacking:P )by the time you get to the last post, you may have forgotten what the subject is, considering the usual immaterial bantering .:?::(

Your signature applies here very well.:biggrin::biggrin:

And..back to Milano, next time we're in La Paz, have to try it again. Last time, spring last year, we weren't to impressed, but, heh, could have been an off day for the cook.:P:P
Happens.:(:(:biggrin:

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.