Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Cafe' Milano in La Paz
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 03:03 PM

I think many travelers should be aware that most tourist related businesses in Baja are just coming out from the worst month ever (May). Business wasn´t bad, it was almost non existant. I would say all restaurants in town, including my own, had to trow away thousands of dollars in food that wasnt selling and that became unsafe to serve to cutomers. Many also had to reduce their stocks dramatically in order to save as much as possible. Right now, things are getting better, but it is still very, very, unpredictable. One day you might get 50 customers, and i swear to god, the next you get 8. This off course, makes it very hard to plan your purchases, and also very hard to provide the typical quality you serve your customers. We for example, have at least 3 or 4 dishes that we are not serving because of this problem.

Be patient, don´t judge your favorite restaurant by the problems you might find right now. We are all going tru a very difficult time and find it almost imposible to offer the same level of detail and freshness that we usually can provide. Staff is also a little down, just getting back into rhythm, but things will get back to normal soon.

Sorry to intrude in this, but i know what fellow restauranteurs are going tru.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 08:08 PM

Excellent points Jesse. It's no better up north here. So many places you can roll a bowling ball through and not hit a soul. Unfortunately even the solid ones are having to close their doors.

In Memory of E-57
mikimila

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 03:31 PM

Special Thanks to all the Nomads who attended yesterday to our jazz appointment. I remind that our special Valentine´s menu (posted in the Baja Events area) is going to be available also on saturday 13 and sunday 14, and that tonight the restaurant will be lighted by the warm light of a hundred candles.
Happy Valentine´s Day!
Michele, Lei & Caffé Milano Ristorante

Mikele
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 03:46 PM

I really do appreciate those that keep their doors open.. as, I don't know how one could possibly plan around something as basic as much do I need to order!!!

That's a hard business without that thrown in on top of everything else... and I wouldn't judge anyone harshly for being a bit off stride right now..

Best of luck

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2010 at 08:40 AM

Question for Mikimila,
Do you serve pizzas?

When I was in Italy last June, I fell in love with the fire oven baked pizzas. You could smell the smokiness in the dough which was light and softly chewy at the same time. I especially loved the pizza that had Parma ham, Italian sausage, and artichoke hearts. I ate that pizza (it has a name that I have foregotten) everywhere from the Amalfi Coast to Milan. Want it, got to have it.

What about gelato? Do you serve gelato?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2010 at 09:16 AM

CP and Michele,
I used to run restaurants and nightclubs when I was in my late twenties and early thirties and I remember what our regional manager (a wise and experienced restaurateur) used to remind us managers about all the time. He said that, beware, many times the worst service a customer can get often occurs during very slow hours of the day. In the USA, this would be between 10am to 11:30am, 2pm to 4:30pm, and 8:30pm to closing. One would think that one should get great service when the estatblishment is not busy, believing that since there are fewer customers that the serving staff and the cooks would have more time to concentrate on just a few customers. Wrong. During the aforementioned hours, these are the times that cooks are preparing for the next rush hour and are usually focusing on clean-up and restocking and preparation - not actually cooking a meal. These are the only times available to the cook for setup and clean up and one thing a cook hates is to be in rush hour and not have everything he needs - that is anathema to a cook, 3 times a day, everyday. Handling a cook order at these times is a pain and a distraction from the necessary setup and cleanup duties. As for the serving staff, they are focused on other things like getting ready for the next meal time, also, this is a time that the manager sends much of the serving staff home and only maintains a "skeleton" crew at these times. The few serving staff on hand will often take the attitude that "nothing much is going on right now" and will know that management is not on the floor watching the operation but instead in the back office doing administrative stuff since there's nothing much going on in the dining room.

The above is common place, happens at the best restaurants, happened to me when I was a manager, happens in all restaurants. That's why, when I go to a restaurant, I like to go at the early part of a rush hour because that's when the kitchen is already clean and well stocked, all the cooks are standing in wait for the glut of orders soon to come, the serving staff is fresh and fully staffed and watching the front door for the customers that will be coming in. In other words, all systems go. For breakfast, 7am to 9:30am, lunch 11:45am to 12:30pm, dinner 4:30pm to 6pm.

[Edited on 2-20-2010 by MitchMan]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2010 at 02:37 PM

Get your point, Mitch. But the thought of a romantic dinner at 4:30? sometimes, one must compromise, I guess.
mikimila

[*] posted on 2-22-2010 at 11:27 PM

Dear Mitch,
To answer your first question, we currently aren´t serving pizzas in our restaurant, at least not on a regular basis.
As you probably noticed when you were in Italy, you eat the best pizzas in pizzerias rather than in restaurants, so we decided to try to do our best on our original focus. On the other hand we might be able to offer pizzas soon as a “special” once or twice a week, and I would be happy to keep you and the nomads informed.
For the description of the ingredients your favorite pizza is probably the “capricciosa” even if – as you probably noticed – there are variations in the recipe from region to region … as for the gelato, we make a very small production mainly to complement some of our desserts, so at present we are making a “special cioccolato”, and an “olive oil” gelato.
As for the quality of the service in the “slow” hours, I agree with you on the fact that during those the staff normally concentrates more on other tasks; however I think that if the doors of the restaurant are open the staff has to be capable to give the best attention at every moment. In Italy 99% of the restaurants are open for lunch (from 12:00 to 14:30) and they reopen for dinner from 19:00 on) after a brake; so those preparations, maintenances, cleanings and tasks that have to be done prior to a service, are done with closed doors … here in La Paz for the hours where normally tourists (early) and locals (generally late) are accustomed to have lunch and dinner, it wouldn´t be reasonable to close (the lapse of time would be one hour or less), so we have to be opened and ready to attend the customers at any time, as they deserve it, at any time!
Thank you for your support and advise that is very valuable and welcome, specially knowing of your experience in the field; I hope to have soon an opportunity to meet you personally, and hopefully have you with us at Caffé Milano Ristorante.
Best Regards.
Michele Milano

Mikele
mikimila

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:27 AM

Dear All,
On march 21st we celebrate 9 years of activity and passion in cooking.
Nine Thousand Thanks to all the friends that have been with us along with the years on this wonderful adventure - let´s go for more springs .....
For the occasion we offer a 35% off on bottles of wine (limited to 2 bottles per party); offer valid from 18/03 till thur 25/03 (Not valid with any other offer).

On march 27th to partecipate again to the Earth Hour cause we will switch off the light of our dining room and serve dinner at candelight. A special tasting menu from chef Lei will be available for the occasion, additionally to our regular á la carte menu.
At Caffé milano Ristorante or anywere, participate to the cause; more on earth hour at earthhour.org.

Love ´n more Amore!
Michele, Lei & Caffé Milano Ristorante
(612)1259981 (612)1259910 (612)1270531

Mikele
mikimila

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 09:15 AM

A new winter has arrived, and Caffé Milano Ristorante is glad to introduce a completely brand new menu for the colder season.
The theme of this menu is a return to the roots, the earthy tradition of the country and the charming smell of the sea in the winter.
For this season Caffé Milano Ristorante will – as always - use the freshest local ingredients to offer an “osteria style” dining experience, to prove that the lovingly prepared popular food can be extremely classy and yet fairly priced.

Additionally to our main menu we will be offering a lunch selection with a choice of dishes appropriate for a “pit stop” for a light meal or a snack. Starting on Jan10th we will open the first room of the restaurant from 9AM for those who love to start the day with an original espresso or cappuccino, and we will offer a little production of bread and pastry.

For this festive season we will as usual be open on “the eves” 24th, and 31st, and we will stay closed on the 25th and 1st; on both eves - additionally to our a la carte menu - we will have some specials that our chef will choose two days before, in order to use the freshest ingredients that she´ll find in the market at the moment!

We are glad and excited to invite you to visit and try our new dishes, and hope you’ll leave with a good taste of Italia in your mouth.

Buone Feste! Buon Natale! Felice 2011!

Mikele
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 10:06 AM
A must stop in La Paz

The food will transport you to Italy and "Miguel" is a fantastic host. His staff does it right as well. Such a nice place that I am thinking of driving seven hours for Mussels Diavlo right now, hmmmmm?
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 11:57 PM
Cafe Milano

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz
Being from San Francisco and married to a dago whose family originally hailed from Pompei, I'm admittedly a bit of a snob when it comes to Italian cooking. We twice tried the branch of Milano when it was at the Mall and it was ghastly, pastas like cardboard and sparsely sauced with something so non-descript it doesn't bear remembering. Because of the horrible food served there we've never tried the restaurant at its incarnation downtown on Esquero. If I am confusing ownership responsibility between these two places I sincerely apologize.

My main criticism of Italian food as it's prepared in La Paz however, at the Milano or anywhere else, is that there's too much concentration on pastas and not enough on other Italian dishes. I'd kill for a good veal dish -- veal with a lemon sauce, or a good veal parmigian served with a side of pasta and followed by a small garden salad or preceded by a cup of decent minestrone.

It's no fun for us to walk into a restaurant and waddle out, we regard food as something to sustain life, not end it prematurely. What we'd like to see is a reasonably sized and reasonably priced Italian meal that is well-prepared but simple, one in which pasta is not the entree item. We long ago wearied of dinner at La Pazta because their best non-pasta entrees were dropped from the menu -- and also because the prissy attitudes of the wait-staff got to be a bit much.

By the way -- and off-subject -- wouldn't it improve this board if the most recent posts were put at the top of the thread, rather than at the bottom? It's time-consuming to read a half-dozen posts before realizing they were written six months or a year ago. :?:

I hate to burst your bubble but quote]Originally posted by bajajazz
Being from San Francisco and married to a dago whose family originally hailed from Pompei, I'm admittedly a bit of a snob when it comes to Italian cooking. We twice tried the branch of Milano when it was at the Mall and it was ghastly, pastas like cardboard and sparsely sauced with something so non-descript it doesn't bear remembering. Because of the horrible food served there we've never tried the restaurant at its incarnation downtown on Esquero. If I am confusing ownership responsibility between these two places I sincerely apologize.

My main criticism of Italian food as it's prepared in La Paz however, at the Milano or anywhere else, is that there's too much concentration on pastas and not enough on other Italian dishes. I'd kill for a good veal dish -- veal with a lemon sauce, or a good veal parmigian served with a side of pasta and followed by a small garden salad or preceded by a cup of decent minestrone.

It's no fun for us to walk into a restaurant and waddle out, we regard food as something to sustain life, not end it prematurely. What we'd like to see is a reasonably sized and reasonably priced Italian meal that is well-prepared but simple, one in which pasta is not the entree item. We long ago wearied of dinner at La Pazta because their best non-pasta entrees were dropped from the menu -- and also because the prissy attitudes of the wait-staff got to be a bit much.

*By the way I hate to burst your bubble but REAL Italian food NOT 3rd generation New York immigrant stuff like veal drwoned in cheap cheese with a "side of pasta. That's heresy. Juacala!~

Like ketchup on filet mignon. Michele is actually from Italy where a pasta is a first course and then you get a "secondo" main course composed of meat or fish or chicken. Anytime you see anything "Alfredo" or "Parmiggiana" or meat balls on a menu; Run for the hills! It is NOT Italian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Be the man your dog thinks you are
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 12-23-2010 at 10:34 AM

C-Urchin, I am with you.
we recently visited milano's and I was a bit disappointed with the small selection of the menu. NO VEAL, but lots of pasta and I had actually the lasagna which was quite bland.
However my wife had a salade to dye for. Morzarella and pear and alot of other nice things.
Too bad their wines are so expensive and I could not believe the price of a margaritta, ouch! 120 plus tax and tip close to 150?

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-23-2010 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
C-Urchin, I am with you.
we recently visited milano's and I was a bit disappointed with the small selection of the menu. NO VEAL, but lots of pasta and I had actually the lasagna which was quite bland.
However my wife had a salade to dye for. Morzarella and pear and alot of other nice things.
Too bad their wines are so expensive and I could not believe the price of a margaritta, ouch! 120 plus tax and tip close to 150?

That's what you get if you "Fine Dine" in this metropolis.:biggrin::biggrin:
We have some of similar nature here in Loreto.:no::no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
mikimila

[*] posted on 12-23-2010 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
C-Urchin, I am with you.

Originally posted by Leo
C-Urchin, I am with you.

I am very sorry Leo if your experience with us was disappointing and I hope to have an opportunity to attend you again personally, however I would like to give you a few reasons and clear a point.

During the last few months in order to go through the autumn season (that for us is normally very slow), and still be offering the freshest products, we temporally trimmed the menu, this strategy allowing us to work with a smaller stock. I apologize for the lack of options to choose from, but our priority was to preserve the freshness.

Since the beginning of our operation we decided to work as much as possible with fresh local ingredients; as you probably know, veal is not very available in the area, and this is the reason why we do not offer it on the menu; on the other hand being born and having been living in Italy for the first 30 years of my life, I don´t consider necessary for an Italian restaurant to have veal on the menu.

The price for a standard margarita in our restaurant is $60.00 MN, - on the rocks or blended - with tequila Jimador. If you have been charged $120.00 MN you might have been charged for 2 margaritas, or for a margarita with a premium tequila (ie Patron Reposado).

I recommend you, and everybody, to let us know if there´s something that looks, or seems wrong in the service, in the food, or in the bill … most of the times when you inform us at the moment, we are able to find a solution, or an alternative option.

As I said at the beginning of this note, I apologize, Leo, and I´d like to do something, if anything I could, however I appreciate the time that you spent to share your experience, because you gave me an opportunity to try to improve our service!

Sincerely
Michele Milano

Mikele
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 10:23 AM

Two months later I went back and had a much better experience which I like to share.

Is it coincidence that the word Italy can be found in hospitality?

I don’t think so. Hospitality is ingrained in Italian culture and lifestyle and that’s exactly what I experienced at Caffé Milano in La Paz the other night.
My wife and I went there for dinner and had a lovely appetizer offered; caponata, a coarse fruity mélange that reminded me of an era when pure ingredients and home made cooking was the standard of living.
Upon recommendation from Michele Milano, proud owner of the restaurant, we had a glass of Rosé from Casa Madero. An exquisite combination, not too sweet nor too dry, just perfect with this appetizer and Milano’s delicious specialty bread.
My wife followed with the Pear Salad she has had before and was again to die for she said. With caramelized nuts, gorgonzola and a honey mustard dressing, I had to try it also and do agree with her. Maybe it was for pairing the perfect wine again. Michele aperently is very knowledgable about wines and Mexican in particular. This time he had us a Chardonnay- Chenin Blanc, 2V from Casa Madero poured, from the oldest winery in Mexico and in all of the New World so they claim.
For entrée, we shared a generous portion of Beef Tenderloin with lentil puree and potato croquette. The meat was first rate, tender and exactly done as requested. Again Michele paired this nicely with two different reds. In my opinion the Fusione, a 2008 Cabernet/Merlot from the small Baja winery Villa Montefiori won hands down for character, nose and overall taste from the Cabernet/Merlot/Templanillo 3V from Casa Madero.
This delectable feast was rounded off with my all time favorite desert, Tiramisu which just did what it supposed to do ‘lift me up.’
Needless to say that Caffé Milano offers besides Italian hospitality a wonderful culinary experience which is at it’s best a little later at night when the locals come out, and that Michele likes to share his incredible knowledge on wine for anyone who is interested.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Caffé Milano in La Paz the other night.

Michele and Lei are the best! Great hosts and amazing food.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 07:53 PM

and I thought you are not supposed to addverties here!!not that I really care,,,,,well,,,I do care,,that a small,,biz (THE BEST) want's people coming thur the door... and are reaching..cause,,,we are all in this together...bizz is slow,, I wish you the very best and will, try and find your place.....remember ,,,IT's slow...total mundo...well, unless your black water,dick cheney,bush,bectall,rtb.....if you catch my drift...hope to eat at your place in the near future
mikimila

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 10:45 AM

Dear Friends,
At just one step away from our eleventh birthday, we wish to express you our gratitude for making - with your fidelity and preference - this gastronomic adventure possible, and for reminding us, visit after visit, our most valuable value, the passion for what we do.
Today, for the purpose of keeping offering you an original Italian experience, we decided to widen our culinary pattern by completely renewing the menu, the selection of wines and our service, in order to make your experience more “homely” and “family style”, such as it can be experienced in an “osteria” or in a “trattoria” in any corner of any neighborhood of Italia; offering a traditional Italian cuisine and trying to make you feel like at home. We hope to be able to transmit the warmth and informal joy of a modern tavern of Italy; and as in any real osteria you will find popular prices, generous portions, both on dishes and wines (that will be sold at retail prices) … all this of course without neglecting the standards of quality, hygiene and service. Additionally, in order to help you to arrive more comfortably “en su casa”, we made an agreement with the parking lot in front of us!
We are truly and sincerely excited for this new adventure and we hope that you will like your new restaurant! If you visit during the next week (march 09-17), don´t forget to mention the password “anniversary” to your waiter to obtain a surprise!
Michele, Lei & Caffé Milano
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 08:11 AM

Awesome experience at Caffe' Milano!
In La Paz for the weekend from San Diego for our anniversary...stopped in at Caffe' Milano last night for dinner. Our waiter Julio was just outstanding and his partner, Gustavo, deserves a good mention also.

Julio had a passion for the items on the menu that was akin to being introduced to his newest love when being in his parents shoes! He wanted us to experience how he felt about the offerings and we took him up on the 'Short rib stuffed ravioli' which was probably the best ravioli I have ever tasted (my last name is Gambino - so with an extended family of 200+ and 20 or so female cousins who all cook 'Grandmas' recipes, I have had some experience in tasting good Italian food!).

As we consumed our food which also included a fresh Greek salad, I was able to observe the kitchen staff prepare fresh pasta, marinara, and other homemade items. The ravioli pasta was definitely homemade and the stuffing, although a little different, went well.

We took the offer up on the posting from Michele to mention the word ‘anniversary’ and receive a surprise, along with the mention that it was our anniversary! Julio brought out a chocolate cake slice (made with a hint of chili spice – not real noticeable though) and a serving of homemade whipped cream on top, garnished with a powdering of chocolate…all observed by me, watching the Chef prepare as if a piece of artwork. Along with this arrived Gustavo, with two plates supporting a cut glass server, with the contents of Baileys and crème, set aflame in a light layer of orange liqueur sitting on the plate surface!

We had walked by Caffe’ Milano earlier in the evening and then walked the Malicon looking for a place to eat. Deciding we had enough of Fish Plates, fish tacos, etc, for a while, we came back and took a seat. Already seated inside were four other gringo couples of whom at least 2 sets lived in La Paz. All of them having finished gave great accolades to Julio and Gustavo for the food and service. Julio was like a young man taking pride in the praise of delight he received at the acceptance of something he felt passionate about.

Good Job Michele and all at Caffe’ Milano
With the flights from San Diego to La Paz being $144 each round trip…we will be back to see you.
Rick and Mary
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.